This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1949 Allis Chalmers WD project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 9:35pm
Thanks ac45man I figure it out with your pictures.
Sponsored Links

55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 12:21pm
I got all the decals out of the bag and well there is some different ones I never seen before.
I have got them all numbered to help identify them. The black squared ones I think I know where they go but the rest would be nice to have a reminder.

Down here I have the original picture without the edit.
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 10:33pm
Well yesterday I started it for the first time in 6 months and after cleaning some connection it started like a good Allis should!! I also took the Final drive pans into my local welding shop and had him put drain plugs on the bottom of the pan.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 6:07am
Wonderful news! The decal placement is always a issue. I have used pictures and other original tractors for location. Take your time get them as close as you can. They look better when correct too.
 Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 1:44pm
Well here’s the results!!
And I love it!!
Pulled it out the first time with all new paint.
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 3:15pm
     Looks great. A nice reward for all your work. Hope you enjoy driving / showing / whatever with it.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 4:47am
 It looks right at home! Your going to like having it around!
Tires make it look ready for some serious work too! Decals look good!
Thanks for keeping us up to date!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 7:27am
Good work, looks sharp.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 12:20pm
Wow, nice job. Really like that serious rubber on the rear. What size tire is that?
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by AC720Man AC720Man wrote:

Wow, nice job. Really like that serious rubber on the rear. What size tire is that?

16.9X28 Firestones
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 6:46pm
Here’s a picture of it before and after.

55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 8:37pm
Well I found a wide front for it!!
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 1:10pm
Earlier I was plowing and the brake rod broke off inside the axle ( it rusted out) so I was wondering if anyone else had that problem?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 4:25pm
Well, you know when things are 70 years old, they might rust out in places.
jvin248 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvin248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 5:58am

Probably involves taking the brakes apart (guessing) ... which if that is the case you should watch several youtube videos. You will see where to spray as much 'PB Blaster' as possible to get those lower brake pins loose.

I've already started spraying mine for the spring/summer WD project I got in December.

Post some pictures and fast help will follow.
corbinstein View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corbinstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 6:27am
took lots of heat, PB Blaster and a slide hammer to get mine out. 
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 11:06pm
Hmmm...
Sounds like it’s going to be fun job!!
Does the axle have to come off though?
Dirt Farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirt Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 12:45am
No the axle doesnt have to come off to work on the brake shoes, take the top tin covers off, one to the left and a matching one under the seat frame, everything comes out and goes back in through there. There is an inspection hole under the axle to look in and line everything back up as you reassemble, as my Dad would say, have to be patient and hold your mouth just right. Good luck
jvin248 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvin248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 2:41pm

That inspection hole under the brakes seems to be sized perfectly for mice to build nests, I think mine has one too. Most of the youtube videos seem to be knocking fluff out of there too. The mice accelerate any corrosion going on. Peppermint oil extract (if you know anyone making/using aromatherapy may let you borrow a few drops), put in there should keep them out for quite a while.

I think the brake rod attaches at the top of the shoes to a small cross-bar. If that's the case you might only need to replace the rod and maybe that top cross-bar. Assuming the pads are still good. And you avoid the lower pin removal project.

corbinstein View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corbinstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 6:23am
some have had to take a blue wrench thru the inspection hole and cut the pin in two. 
I've had to heat the casting around the ends of the pin and put copious amounts of pb blaster in. I welded a slide puller to the pin (under the tractor) and pulled it that way. Lots of cussing. 
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 10:05am
I'm looking forward (not) to doing the brakes on my WD in the spring.  The left side pin moves easily with the pin removal tool from DJ's.  The right one is in there solid and won't move.  I'm soaking it with applications of Kroil over the winter.  I don't want to get into it now as it's my main snow plow tractor and brakes aren't used much when plowing snow drifts.
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 9:52pm
Now you’re scaring me lol!!
At least it’s only one side.
I put a wide front on it the other day and here’s a picture of it...
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 8:51am
Nice!
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2022 at 11:59pm
So it’s been running great for so long that I started thinking of it as a dependable tractor, well that was stupid of me…
Today I was moving it from our house to our main shop (which is a 2 mile drive on a gravel road) and got there, I shut it of out side of the shop door to open the door (it’s a rolling door) and move a few things and I jump back on the wd to start it and well I was cranking it over the carb bursted in to fiery flams.
We got the fire put out before it ruin the rest of the tractor but I think from looking at the out side of that carb is toast!!
I think all the damage done was the carb and the intake hose and a little black around the carb area.
So dumb dumb me first thought of mind is kill the fuel only problem is being that close to a gas fire is dumb but heck it keep it from getting any more fuel.
I don’t have any pictures yet but will try to.
1955 AC WD45 diesel with D262 repower, 1949 AC WD45
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 12:03am
I never mentioned that I just put a new needle and seat in the carb because it was sticky where it would sometimes stick open and make a mess and stick shut and kill the tractor…
Other than that I can’t figure it out why it did that…
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 7:48am
WHAT???? How does a fire break out at the carb? Not possible unless somethings missing. What ignited it?
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 8:53am
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

WHAT???? How does a fire break out at the carb? Not possible unless somethings missing. What ignited it?

It was the carb.
I did check the wiring but was all good from what I could see…
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 9:24am
Originally posted by 55allis 55allis wrote:

Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

It was the carb.
I did check the wiring but was all good from what I could see…

It does not answer Steve's question.  The carb cannot ignite gas.  With an incorrectly installed needle and seat, the carb will gush gas like crazy, but something had to make it catch fire.  I would be investigating that first.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
BigGuy1000 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGuy1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 6:30pm
BUT  I had an AC170gas (similar engine) just 3 months ago where the leaking exhaust manifold or gaskets did ignite gas in or around the carb and manifold!!!  The intake hose swelled up REAL BIG and came loose, blew off the dirt cup of the air cleaner, smashed the top of one carb float so that float would not stop gas running into carb, gas then ran out of the carb air intake, engine had stopped, gas had to be shut off, all due to ignition problems!!!
Had to tow the tractor away....

55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 11:41pm
Hmm
What big guy 1000 said sounds like a clue…
That manifold is pretty rusty, wonder if it blew a peep hole between the two parts, I’m not sure if that’s possible but that sounds like a pretty good clue.

That black was not there before the fire….

Edited by 55allis - 24 Oct 2022 at 11:42pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic