This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1949 Allis Chalmers WD project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 11:03am
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Sorry I missed that. I didnt read down in the add far enough. I have had reall good service from them too. When I messed up my WD45 hood name decals they sent me a new set before I even paid for them!
There is a technique to applying the decals too. I would have to go back and look at some pictures because I am old and have CRS! I believe mine were the vinyl decals. 
I think you want the ones with the white background.

Regards, 
Chris

I thought having CRS, cold rolled steel was a good thing. I keep a supply around here for repairs that pop up. Or did you mean Can't Remember S***? I'm guessing the later, seam to have plenty of that too!
Sponsored Links

55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 9:46am
I took the manifold off and broke a stud which luckily it just broke the threads on the end off.
I also got some Persian #1 paint and also Hardener/Catalyst for hardener from Van Syckle.
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 9:41pm
Have it about ready to paint but still haven’t figured out a way to have it on a stand for painting with the tires/rims and frame rails off.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 10:04pm
Maybe try drilling and bolting channel iron to the bell housing like I did? The part you miss painting could be touched afterwards and covered by the frame rails anyway.The final drives are on jackstands now. Move them out to the hubs for paint.
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 2:09pm
I finally got a chance to work on it the other day and ended up taking a car stand and putting it under the angle iron that is under the engine on the front. I got both frame rails and the front wheels off.
As I was talking to my cousin, we got talking about getting front mud scrapers that they was a rare option from the factory?
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 9:20pm
I found the “mud scrapers“ in a local barn.
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 10:56pm
Does anyone have a opinion about self etching primer?
I’ve never really have tried it on anything to know if it’s worth the time and money.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 10:39am
I use self etching primer on all of mine followed by gray primer. Seals the metal to prevent rust. I have been very pleased with the results.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 11:41pm
I might than put it on everything I sandblasted.
For a update on the tractor, I got the one tire off to get the rim welded on,
I also got a picture of it down below.
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 7:17am
     Just be very careful when you are working on that tractor with the wheels off / disassembled. I always thought the ones I worked on that way were top heavy and kind of clumsy to handle. Wouldn't want a mishap. Looks like you are making good progress.
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 10:06am
I'll second AC hunter's comment about safety.  I notice you are using concrete blocks to support the tractor.  And they are set  in the weakest orientation to bear weight.  They are a disaster waiting to happen as they can suddenly break with no warning.  There have been guys badly injured or killed due to this happening.  I would highly recommend that you get some solid wood blocking or heavy duty axle stands to support your tractor!!
We want to be able to see the progress on this project continue!
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 10:45pm
I do have a safety stand under where the drawbar goes.
I also taped/painted up the hydraulic hoses to the snap coupler rams
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 7:26am
I built a frame for the back of the tractor to support it where the rock shaft attaches. I must say you need to be very careful with these perched on blocks. As others have mentioned wooden blocking is safer and steel members bolted to the tractor frame or structure are safer. We just want you around for a long time!:)
Lots of moves to make on your WD. Keep going!
Here is a shot of my support system. Frame in back and steel saw horse in front.  Any time your lifting any or moving it it can shift and move.

Here is a shot where I was going to do the final painting so the second steel saw horse went under the rear end. the frame came off and I set the rear down on two bolts threaded into the underside. then set this down on the bolts. At this point it could still tip and get out of balance. Use caution!

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 13 May 2021 at 7:28am
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 2:49pm
I got it mostly primed but now I’m stuck waiting for the humidity to go down. It has been raining about every night just enough to keep the humidity up.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 9:53pm
Looking real good! Thanks for the update!
 Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 10:11pm
Today I got it painted and I love it!!!

ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 2:37pm
     Looks shiny. Bet you can't wait to get it assembled. Keep up the good work and pictures.
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 10:29pm
Got a question, where to get oil pressure gauges that are just like the original? I ordered one from tractorpartsASAP.com and it is NOT ANY WHERE CLOSE to the original.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 8:07am
Looking good on the paint! Yes your going to like the look! New gauges do leave something to be desired. Not sure there are any better ones?? Maybe some one knows more about these than me. Your doing good on the WD!
Regards,
 Chris
garden_guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 9:23am
Looking incredible! I got my new oil gauge from Steiner but didn't take a pic before it was installed. Will try to remember to take a pic.

I did get my new temp gauge from AGCO as I felt the aftermarket ones didn't quite look right.

Edited by garden_guy - 28 May 2021 at 9:23am
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 8:59pm
I got all brand new knobs and gauges other than that oil pressure gauge they look like original. I will try to get a picture of the tractor later.
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 10:10pm

Pictures as I promised.
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 7:14am
Does anyone know what this spring goes to? It fell off onto the floor when I took the frame rail off. I put a spark plug (only thing I could get my hand on at the time) beside it for sizing.

Edited by 55allis - 29 May 2021 at 7:15am
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 7:41am
Throttle return spring. Not sure 'return' is the exact right term. It makes the throttle stay where set.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 8:27am
Throttle compensating spring maybe ?
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 9:08am
Not a return....throttle won't stay open without it. After adding D17 gov spring to 45 it needed two of those to stay at high idle.

Edited by SteveM C/IL - 29 May 2021 at 9:10am
JTOOL View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTOOL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 12:01pm
Maybe brake pedal return spring? Mine fell off when I removed the drivers side frame rail to replace the bolster on my WD45.
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 11:20pm
I got both brake return springs on and there is a hook on the throttle linkage so might go to that.
Yesterday I picked up two Allis Chalmers 6’ or 7’ snap coupler sickle mowers which looks very sad. I think I will part one out to get one going.
ac45dave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac45dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 8:03am
Originally posted by 55allis 55allis wrote:

Does anyone know what this spring goes to? It fell off onto the floor when I took the frame rail off. I put a spark plug (only thing I could get my hand on at the time) beside it for sizing.

54 wd-45gas ; 56 wd-45d N/F w/fact p/s ; 63 d-17 sIII N/F gas ; 60 D14 N/F ; 67 d-17 sIV N/F gas ; 63D15 sII W/F; 39rc#667 ; 2021 massey 4710 fwa ; gravely 2 wheel tractors
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 8:32pm
Just replaced Dads series II D15 temp gauge with an Agco gauge made in the USA. 3 times the price of the knock offs but it looks just like the original. I have heard the Heritage gauges are pretty close but I have never tried one. Do not waste your money on a knock off, you will be disappointed. Trust me, I know, I ordered one and immediately sent it back at my cost.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic