This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Working in the shed today

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Working in the shed today
    Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 9:32pm
Old gal is getting ready for the last farmers market of the year. This is not a regular farmers MKT. We will be in a large parking lot, people will be driving thru the lot, we have to carry everything they want to the car. While she was making stuff today, I was in the shop starting to do more clean up. I bought a bolt bin probably 5 Years ago, just now getting it set up. Was sorting thru washers, lock washers, and nuts. If I couldn't find what I needed, I'd buy more. As a result, Been sorting thru bags of them for years. I got's the flat washers and lock washers all sorted out by size. Menards flat washers are thinner and not as big around the outside diameter as washers from the local hardware store. By the time I get all this stuff sorted, I'm gonna be ready for a tractor show or sumpthing. If'n I was a beer drinker, id'a sure had a few today. Its sorta booring.

Edited by HD6GTOM - 20 Nov 2020 at 9:36pm
Sponsored Links

FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 9:37pm
one of these days I hope to get inspired to do something like that with my shop... maybe when I retire in the summer of 22
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 3:05am
When I was going to a lot of auctions I'd run across some where everything was all sorted out and all the tools were in boxes and or hanging up.  They were usually Estate auctions so I figured that was the last thing guys did before moving on was to sort everything out.  So I was always a little against getting all sorted out!!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 6:24am
yeah, I got 10-12 tubs FULL of miscellaneous nuts-bolts-????
how I make 'sorting' fun...well, at least bearable...
put 'misc' can on bench
put 4 empty coffee cans behind it
put coffee to the right
sit on comfy stool
sort 'stuff' from misc can and toss into 1 of 4 cans
nuts-bolts-washers-misc
this is a rough 'presort', goes surprisingly fast, and makes you feel good ( I DID something today...)

Now, take the 'bolt can' and sort that, again 4 empty cans
small-med-large-misc.
or whatever works for you.
the whole idea is to make it 'fun' and not a *&*&^*(**(* chore that you HATE...grr waste of time....

yeah... I've got a 'winter project'. It'll take me longer than adding 2nd story to my garage,sigh..

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 9:17am
Father in law use to go to every auction around and buy mason jars and 2 pound bags full of bolts / nuts/ nails............. Probably had 100... He died a few years back and i took the job of cleanup... I did similar to Jay... I have a few plastic boxes that are 6 x 18 inches and 4 inches tall.... I went thru each bag and divided them into... washers ... nuts... 1/4 to 3/8 bolts.... 7/16 to 3/4 inch bolts ... bigger than 7/8 inch ... screws ...big nails ... small nails... now all 100 bags that were under the table, in a box, above the rafters, are ALL in about 8 bins with 15 pounds in each.... Dont work there too often, but when you NEED something, i can find the right bolt / nut in about 1 minute. .... Got a couple more bin boxes for hinges .... lag bolts .

Edited by steve(ill) - 22 Nov 2020 at 9:20am
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 11:07am
i like sorting bolts/washers/nuts/ect. done it for years, so i must like it. gots lots of them plastic drawer thingy's all full and now i can find what i needs faster! 
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 1:10pm
Friend of mine bought several boxes of Mixed loose Nuts/Bolts/Etc(3'x3'x18" Deep) at a sale.  Got a MAJOR Surprise in first box, a LOADED .44mag S&W, a little tarnished and scratched but once clean fired fine.  Second box two disassembled .45acp US of Army weapons, Complete but taken apart, local sheriff is a friend ran the numbers ALL clean.  Last box was a shocker with two side by shotguns also taken apart, took a little effort but all functional.  Bought for $7.50.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic