This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Got one for the troops,,,,,,

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Got one for the troops,,,,,,
    Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 5:34am

Well,,,I gots the 454 in The black Beauty Silverado finally all lashed up and running good. Engine Sounds great and holds 65-68 # oil pressure at idle after warm up. I'm gettin antsy bout gettin it on the road for a good shakedown cruise,,,,,,,,Clap
 There IS one little thing tho,,,,,, The little 305 that was in there had a one row radiator that I felt would not be big enough for the bigger engine so,,I latched onto a 4 row ALUMINUM out of a 1990 Suburban that is 2" shorter than the original radiator but 6" longer than the original. I used the shroud  from the original radiator and it does not cover the 3" on either end,,altho,,I did modify the top of the shroud to cover the 2" open space.  I installed a new fan clutch as well. Also New 185° thermostat. I had replaced the original water temp and oil pressure gauges with mechanical gauges as the original ones were not working. I fired it up and let engine run til the temp gauge read a tad over 200° and finally chickened out and shut it down when it got to 210°,,,,,,,
 Now,,I figure since engine is new and tight clearances is generating more heat,,,but I'm not too comfortable it running at that high a temp,,,,,,?
 I then added a 16" electric fan in front of the radiator,,but engine still wants to run at 205° with a 185° thermostat,,,!!!??? It does have a 50/50 water/antifreeze mix.
 I'm thinking bout gettin some of that additive that helps engines run cooler but cannot remember what the name was. Has anybody got any history on that stuff and is there any concerns with using it,,???
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 6:02am
185* stat ?? I was thinking 160* would be 'normal' for most engines ??
i wouldn't run for long periods.
? did you flush/test the rad before install ??
? new water pump ??
? fan close to rad ??

found this real quick with google '454 thermostat'...

seems 1/2 run 160, others 195....
still DARK here, grr....

Jay

Edited by jaybmiller - 24 Oct 2020 at 6:05am
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 8:18am
Big blocks run hot anyway. I would think a 4 row would handle it. If you have access to a infrared thermometer, check the radiator and see if you have even temp across the entire thing. Temp gauge accurate?
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 9:25am

Guys,,Many thanks for all the tips,,,Clap
  Yes, Jay new water pump.  I checked out the link and was interesting in that one dude states the advertised temp rating on a new thermostat is the "Opening Temp" and the actual would be 10-15° above that,, What's the idea on drilling a small hole in the thermostat??? I'ma gonna put a 180° thermostat in it today.
 Hey Fixer,,it good to hear from you,,!! I'ma check if Oreillys has a temp gun loaner as I DID reverse flush the radiator and it was very clean to start with.
 The only'ist thing I might of done is to go buy the btm half of the shroud for the Suburban aluminum radiator as it was tore up is why I used the shroud that was with the 305 raditor,,,????? The 305 shroud does fit flush against the aluminum radiator,,,but does allow the OUTSIDE 3" on each end to be "un-shrouded",,,,Ya think??
 I think the stuff I was lookin for is called "Water Wetter",,,,??? Has anubody ever used any of it,,?
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 9:43am
I've always thought the 160,180, 195 number was the 'begins to open up at' temperature, so I'd use a 160, maybe a 180.
never had a 454 but to me anything over 180 could be a 'problem'.
you don't need additives... 50/50 worked 100 years ago, should be fine today....
the shroud should duct the entire rad....

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 2:05pm
Joe, My bro. put a fairly warmed up 455 pontiac engine in his 1950 GMC 3/4 ton pickup. He anticipated a heat problem so he took it to a shop in KC and they built him a radiator that took care of the problem, even pulling his goose neck camper where ever he wanted to go. He had added a 3 speed Brown-Lipe behind a late model 4 speed. (I think it was a spicer) So the engine wasn't screaming. Anyway it never heated.   Leon
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 2:14pm
You only get the cooling capacity the size of the fan without a proper fitting shroud. Make the shroud go full width or repair the other shroud. Fan should be correct size for opening of shroud and fan blades should be half in and half out of the shroud opening.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 3:39pm
and the temp of them motor when SETTING is determined by the FAN, not the thermostat.  Like Thad said, the shroud has to FIT and the fan has to be running.. If you have a THERMO fan, when does it kick in ??

Now running down the road you get RAM air thru the radiator... Then the thermostat will control the temp... Fan is doing nothing when going 60 MPH down the road.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

You only get the cooling capacity the size of the fan without a proper fitting shroud. Make the shroud go full width or repair the other shroud. Fan should be correct size for opening of shroud and fan blades should be half in and half out of the shroud opening.

Well,,Chit,,,,,WinkWink somehow I KNEW somebody was gonna tell me bout the dang shroud havin the finger pointed right at it as the possible culprit,,,,,WinkLOL  As a fact of the matter,,,I did notice today that the fan does sit mostly inside the shroud and I knew that the fan is supppossed to sit half in and half out of the shroud opening in order to be able to PULL air thru the radiator,,,I have no idea WHY I did not notice that before,,,,,,,Wink
 I'ma have to go visit my Friend, Charlie the Junk Yard guy to see if he has a good bottom half of the right shroud as the btm half of this one was trashed out. The top half is perfect,,,AND,,,AND,,the depth of the shroud opening to the back of the shroud will place the fan right where it should be. The 305 shroud is longer from opening to the back so the fan does set too far into the friggin shroud,,,,!!!!
 I had no luck locating the right piece on Ebay or amazon so hopin ole Charlie gots one,,, Many THANKS for all the help,,,,I LOVE You Guys, I'll send some of my special blend of Black Label to Hutch for all ya'll,,,,,,ClapClap
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 11:11pm
454's do run on the warm side. the 454 in my motorhome has 2 electric fans besides the regular fan, it also has a heat temp alarm if it gets to a certain temp. that shroud covers all the radiator that it should. i put a 327 in a '54 Chevy pickup, i used the radiator that the truck came with for the 6 cyl. there was no shroud on it, and the fan was back about 4-5 inches. i put a racing fan on it and never had an overheating problem with it. can get them in fiberglass or aluminum.

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 11:12pm
oh....and the Chevy/Allis has the original radiator on it too with an electric fan in place of the original.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 4:50am

Well,,,Iknow I'ma gonna have to do something as the current sitiation ain't gonna cut it on this trk,,!  My little HHR runs at 195-197°whether it sittin idling or goin down the hiway at 75MPH,,,summer or winter. SOoooo,,,I'ma gonna get the correct shroud and make sure the fan is centered in the inlet of the shroud,,,,,,ClapClap I still got to re-assemble the dash as I had to install some new Bosch Temp and oil pressure gauges into the original gauges place,,,WHEW and DANG but was that a job,,!! I had to make 4 new mounting brackets to make the new gauges fit in the dash just like the original ones did.
 Wow,,Shameless,,I guess the farmer that built the Chevy Allis was plannin for all them parade miles goin along at 2-3 miles an hour and sittin there idling for long periods of time in those hot summer months,,,,Clap  I got this feeling that this winter you gonna get chit full of them cold Nebraska days and nites and plan to come visit and just don't you forget to load up that Chevy Allis when you do,,,,I'm just bout to hit the fini mark on the Black Beauty Silverado,,,SOOoo,,I'ma gonna be needin a "fall Back"  Project for when I run out of things to do on the Lambo 55,,,,Clap I been moving out all that CHIT I been storing inside the car and It is fixin to be the HOT project soons I finish the overheatin issue on the Silverado.The same dude that painted the 55 is painting the hood of the trk and he's just bout done,,,so that project is almost fini,,,,,,ClapClap
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 7:56am
Joe I’ve been thinking about this. I’d also recommend using a temp gun on the radiator.
I’d also be checking the thermostat and timing and read plugs for a lean condition.
Easy to get differing gauges and easy to get faulty parts now days.
I’m already on my 3rd fuel pump and 4th starter on my ole Ford since the engine swap. Fuel pumps were pure junk different brand 3rd try. Starters have very poor castings and starter drives strip out within a few months.
China junk
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 10:36am
The 454 in my suburban has two electric pusher fans in front of the radiator and the belt driven waterpump mounted fan. It factory with the K2500hd. Thermostat is 190 and it constantly runs at 200 to 210 on my guage. They stopped putting low temp thermostats in many years ago. Engines running hotter get better mileage and produce fewer emissions. Water wetter is the product your thinking of. Your running 15 psi coolant pressure so you'll need to get to 270 deg before it boils over. As long as your running in the 200 210 deg range the extra fans don't even come on unless you turn on the AC. My second fan comes on at 220 and the third at 240.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 3:34pm
Joe, when you're running that hot and you pull in to park let the engine set and normalize for a bit. Kinda of a pain but necessary.   Leon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic