This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

KW Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 20>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 7:10pm
Well the Good Lord has set to telling me NO.  The weather this coming weekend is trashed, heavy rains forecast Friday, dropping temps and potential of Snow Sat**day, Sunday just down to bitter cold.  

So every opening to haul has blocked, every chance to get it here has failed so I am throwing in the towel.  Done..

The Lord has spoken, I am listening this time, it just figures is time to stop and grow old then die, projects are ended.  Passing Mid Sixties, not enough time left to get this here with Winter setting in, then fix it and have it viable by Summer.  Running out of days physically functional with effort and will power to stay at it.

Guess can sell much of what have accomplished and just write this escapade off.
Sponsored Links

JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 1:14am
Wow, are you having a downer day!  Come on, the snow will melt and the sun will come out, maybe Santa will have it in his sleigh, it will get better, we all need to have you give us a running commentary of how the project is coming!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 5:12am
well them silly Canadians keep trying to leave their doors open so they can share the cold! it's sposed to be nice this week...RUN FOR IT! i gots leaky hoses to fix on the "machine" so you gots a little time left! 
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 10:24am
Well, shameless, this "silly Canadian" has been enjoying well above freezing temperatures for the last couple of weeks.  The one foot of "pretty" you sent on your tune-up run has pretty well all melted and the cows are grazing out in the pastures again.  Can't blame me for your cold weather!!  Maybe your far northern state  is sending it down special delivery!!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 1:29pm
I blame no one for the misfortune, is just a indirect way of someone much larger than any of us telling me NO, and I am accepting such.

This is where the chalk mark got placed as stop point.

Beginning to suspect this is as close as the KW will ever get to here.

Edited by DMiller - 07 Dec 2020 at 6:15pm
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 7:02pm
Damn nice work, are you sure you want it to go to waste?  If you ever get board and want to rebuild a truck again, I know where there's a 68 KW C/O that could use a restoring, probably get free room and board for the work. Wink
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 9:21pm
new steps for the tractor?
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 5:15am
LOL
Seems loads of friends to keep me from being bored!!
Spoke to the guy again last night
He is just as distraught on this and looking for any way to get it up here now. He said we made a deal on this and he is sticking to what he said would do.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 6:20am
Truck IS coming the 20th, kid that owns it(Early 40s) has a truck and trailer aligned where cn manage the haul back trucks.  Made certain the GMC LP started well the other day, and fought the Chevy once again where the Holley said ENOUGH.  So off come the Governed garbage pile and on went a Edelbrock AFB knockoff.  Starts like a New machine.  New owner has a Cab and equipment for this, will rewire lighting when that gets changed and make this road legal.

Believe it or Not, cooling system is in top shape, new radiator last year, 366 is as strong as I have found one, brakes are like new, just the cab is crap and bed about to rust away even as scissor lift works great.

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 7:01am
Dmiller,
Hang in there! Came to check on you as the big truck thing is way out of my comfort zone of projects. But you have the skills and knowledge. Yes we are not getting any younger. You have commented many times in my shop thread. Some days I feel similar as to being almost 70 what the heck am I thinking! I think a lot of us need projects to do and to keep us active, even as health and age start to limit us too. 
I personally am wishing you the best on you project with the KW. To me it looks like a big fun expensive project. But remember I am not a good judge of these units. So it sounds like your going to get a Christmas present! I believe the Lord works in many ways. 
BTW that new step/ box looks good to me!
Couple questions too.
-  How tall is the yellow dump at the clearance lights?
- And how do you like the steel liner panels on the walls?
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 12 Dec 2020 at 7:03am
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 11:27am
As much welding and grinding as I KNEW would be doing the Steel interior is a BLESSING!!  Not a heat problem either as far as cold Winter or Hot Summer.  Building is 2x6 Stick Build and is batt insulated to the ceiling, blow in above the ceilings.

I am thinking the old Chevy is around 7'10" top of cab, be a struggle to get into a 8' door.  Where not certain would chance even trying.  My GMC 7000 is just at 8' same year just not as tired.  KW will be a Challenge to get inside as is just under 10' with air bags deflated, being as will be backed in cab and sleeper will be inside before steer axle rises onto floor as my Shop Doors are 10'.  Same with coming out as has a Suspension Dump Valve for the rear bags.

This is looking at the GMC, the little shed has 80" door but also has around a four inch rise to the front of the GMC as sits

Edited by DMiller - 12 Dec 2020 at 11:36am
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 1:23pm
Four days out now. Truck is aligned, Expenses are paid up, have the shop as ready as I figure can make it, will get the pig into the poke come Sunday and then fun begins.  Hood comes away, store to the side, engine comes down for inframe potential inspection.
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 11:26pm
I'm really happy you decided to move forward with the project, was getting depressed that we wouldn't be able to watch your project move forward.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 12:49pm
  Yes please keep us up todate on the progress
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2020 at 2:49pm
Just off horn with KW owner, truck swap again so will only be able to take One of the GMs home with him.  Was getting those eerie vibes of Don't Do It with the other guys rig, as there was something playing in background he just could not put a finger on.  I have pinned up the Goose, may not be the greatest but tires and brakes are good, lighting functional and floor good where can load the smaller one on it and follow him home if he wants me to.  May do it Just Cause.  Would be a Ten hour run full turn.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2020 at 3:23pm
Reminds me of the "Hot Rod Lincoln " song "Tires good, brakes are fair" ! Something about doing it yourself that is a good thing! Good luck on your trip for the KW! We will need some pictures too!
 Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 11:16am
The other guy sent me this last night, decided on NOT following back and Chevy will sit for awhile, have a Deere Planter he wants and maybe some other goods he is trying to acquire up here.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 8:05pm
Has arrived, comedy of errors getting it OFF trailer.  Had telehandler to load it, could lift and reposition it, my 180 was doing all it had to MOVE it!!

Fills the shop pretty well Full.

Edited by DMiller - 19 Dec 2020 at 8:10pm
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 10:38pm
Glad you got it home. Looks like you will need to remove the hood before you can tear into the engine? That truck really swallowed up that bay.
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 1:26am
Looks like you got the worst of the job done, now for a bit or restoration work!

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 6:05am
Originally posted by Red Bank Red Bank wrote:

Glad you got it home. Looks like you will need to remove the hood before you can tear into the engine? That truck really swallowed up that bay.

It just fit, knew that starting in!!  Yes the hood will come off so have good access and still warm inside.

Today will be light work, get cab emptied of component parts from the original failure, then clean much of where I will be working around.  Have the 180 to return to the barn, have to move my Bush Hog and a few odds and ends in the barn, get the arrangement where I can keep the tractor and the old Chevy dumper as much out of weather as possible for now.  New owner of the GMC will try to make a run up here during late winter thaw, pick up the Chevy and the old Planter.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 9:57am
Wow! Nice work getting it off and not breaking something! Slightly overwhelming project for me. Keep us up to date. Congrats!
What is your project scope for this truck? What are the main issues? And how do you plan to use it? 
Merry Christmas!
Regards,
 Chris
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 1:06pm
Engine work is priority, get it essentially in framed with a replacement head.  Upgrades to Single Turbo, eliminate a great deal of head ache material.  Tidy up that which has been ignored for quite some time and then work suspension, air system, brakes, final electrical.  Take it to a shop, have ALL fluids in gear train changed then chase the dried out seals as PS.

Can end up one of two directions, running functional, all together and pass state inspect, take to dealer and trade or check value where if low keep and use for myself.  It is overkill in so many respects but doable for light duty reserve it back for more heavy work.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 3:19pm
DMiller,
 Sounds like a good plan! Great looking truck! What is the year?
Regards,
 Chris
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 5:45pm
05 440,000 miles

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 7:44pm
Humm, Like brand new!:)
Regards,
 Chris
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 3:31pm
Yes it will be like after Dmiller is done with it. Looks like a big project
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 6:10am
Back to it with a Vengeance

Drained engine oil and fuel tanks, removed the add on battery box, pulled pan and got this far.  The piston/rods are out, will need to inspect the mains and then pull sleeves to inspect the block.  List keeps growing as to what needs done as I go.  Two rod bearings were rough, but journals appear good.  

Edited by DMiller - 23 Dec 2020 at 6:10am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 8:09am
Man D you are into it! Take a break! You going to hurt yourself!Smile Looks like a even bigger project and a lot of it on your back! Is it easier to do a in-frame rebuild than pulling the engine? Looks expensive too! You have your Christmas gift. Enjoy! Thanks for the updates on the big rig!
Merry Christmas!
Regards,
 Chris
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 3:19pm
Cousin texted me this morning, my visit to CdA was not in vain, they were so glad I had come out.  Uncle passed away at roughly midnight our time, quietly in his sleep, he will be missed but has left the trials and pain.

I got hard after the machine this morning, after the wife tried to destroy her four year old Explorer, blind corner going to work, 8" dia tree fell across road, she ran over it, both front struts, right lower control arm, three bent wheels and three damaged tires so far.  Is at the local body shop/tow service.

Dropped the three mains I wanted to inspect, Front(Receives side load from Belts), Rear(Down pressure from Flywheel/clutch) and Thrust.  ALL looked good for age so confident of bottom end, still have to pull sleeves.

Last photo Rear main and #6 Rod journals, 1&6 should readily polish up.  Hex on main cap bolt is 1 5/16".

Edited by DMiller - 23 Dec 2020 at 3:20pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 20>
  Share Topic