This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

KW Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2022 at 9:03am
Good trip to OK, got a good start for my friend on his apartment in his shop, picked up the fenders and battery box he found as cleaned out the yard of scraps.

Mounts for fenders will have to be reconfigured as came off a PETE but easily done.
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 4:03am
Well, on last two days as a employee again, Friday is my Last day and will be on the projects I have running including this rather than expending time for a employer.  BACK to Retired.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2022 at 12:44pm
Been re-retired almost week and a half and already screwed up! 

Monday was Eye Doc day so not much doings, Bad eye is going to need a corrective lens now that implant and eye have acclimated, bigger story is Good Eye, Right side now has a forming cataract, not ready for surgery yet.

So Tuesday I work on truck awhile manage to break seven of ten cab marker light bolts even using a small rattle gun as were frozen in Rivnuts installed in cab, ordered parts then went back to the right seat as was too far In cab for my liking where as was maneuvering  seat on cab floor from side steps lost footing, had no quick grab handhold and fell backward against bottom shelf of temp workbench and jack sitting in floor as hit the floor.  

All was good as could get my wind back but SORE AS ALL GET OUT, secured all, went to house cleaned up and had Anniversary dinner with wife, 36 years Married, on July 4 is 38 together did not let on could barely stand or sit or laying down was beyond difficult with rising painful enough to grab like a claw grapple.  Had a scheduled Doc Visit on the morning of Wednesday, still did not let on and got to visit.  Scrape and bruise were nasty looking but contact pain minimal where remainder of visit was Medicare Wellness check over and a Pneumonia vax booster both of us felt good to go as could deep inhale and had reasonable range of movement.  When DID tell the Wife she was REALLY Mad.  BAD Night Wed night to Thurs, so called in for Spasm relief to same NP that did my visit and those helped me get thru until Monday.  Hate the woozie feelings they cause so decided as was less issue to stop them.  Today had a parts run to KW for the bolts and well nut Rivnut replacement parts still getting severe hit when get up or step off with R Foot to L Side back so after dealing with it went back to Doc office, X ray told all.  Not one but TWO fractured(Line Cracks) ribs, bottom two Left Side, not muscle spasming because of muscle hit but trying to immobilize damn ribs.  

Great now what!!,, Nothing can do but STOP working like a Coaly and rest up awhile, Barb said as being cracked the pain was as knitted and I put pressure on reopens the knit spot, just have to grin bear it and STOP for awhile.  Not full fracture couple weeks, full circumference 3-5 weeks, hard full break 5-7 weeks.

I am really tiring of the old and brittle nonsense.  I got things to get done, SUCKS.

Edited by DMiller - 22 Jun 2022 at 12:47pm
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2022 at 10:45pm
I know how you feel. It is so easy to get hurt when we get older. Don't heal as fast either! God Bless! Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 5:48am
Thanks
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 10:16am
Yesterday was feeling a considerable amount better, today just too damned hot out, 90 by 9am.  Started setting up 'Paint Booth' walls!!

2 24x12 sides, one 20x12 across rear, two to go. Second photo line of screws indicate Truss to hang from, rear tarp will sit rolled up on frame then will hang plastic sheets from it to floor.  BOTH benches are being cleared off, to work paint equipment and materials.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 10:21am
Best news of last week, friend in OK working at a fleet has a newer truck with around 30-40% all position 24.5s on it Bridgestone's he believes, tread pattern M853, are coming off, FREE for my use all 8 Matched, figure 25-40,000 miles remain in them date coded 2018 or 19, NO Repairs ever made to them just too Low Aggressive for their needs.  That eliminates close to $4000 expense for me for at least one maybe close to Two years.

Will have them available for me some time in next two weeks!!
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 10:32am
  That great news
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 11:05am
Yes it was!!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2022 at 7:37am
Cleaned up the shop, got my Discount Motors paint and dust control booth assembled!  Dragged out my two bucks of scaffold and started into the Cab Light fastener repairs.  7 of ten retainer bolts broke off in the Rivnuts so thy had to come out, one rivnut spun in the Fbgls Roof so patch is being allowed to cure where may drill it out and replace the insert today.

Edited by DMiller - 08 Jul 2022 at 7:38am
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2022 at 7:41am
Those Free Tires I am to receive are a very similar tread patter to what is on the steering currently, Closed sidewall edge, decent center tread lugs, more for highway purposes than off road where the current truck are coming from lives.  Confirmed M853 Bridgestone.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 5:11pm
Put the last of the Fiberglass patch together on the LF Fender this morning, soon as that cured on to the Surface filler.  I remembered to mix SMALL amounts as knew it solidified quickly, but DAYUM,  This Stuff was really getting it as to quick cure time, never mixed ore than a silver dollar size dollop and almost could not use it all before chunking!!!

Tomorrow first thing will take truck outside, prior to Sun getting very high, will wash the cab hood and sleeper then put it back inside so can begin DA Working it over.  Once get a decent surface will prime Sleeper roof and the patch points on the cab/hood and then seal the primer.  Paint will get ordered Friday so sometime in next two weeks will be fixing to set Blue back on the Beast.  

Am hoping can get the Look I am going for and make it decent.  paint all the cab pieces OEM Blue Metallic, then paint the Front Fenders Grey Metallic, Once rear fenders mounts are completed and hanging will paint rear frame and then rebuild paint the rear fenders that same Grey.

I really want it reassembled by end of September down to the last pieces I need to order, Mufflers, Stack Extensions, Side Shield brackets, all the special clamps and final wiring to the rear fenders.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 6:26am
Love the sound of progress. Keep it up!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 12:57pm
  Sounds like a good soild plan.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 3:03pm
Got truck Soap Washed, went to body shop, picked up Enamel reducer to wipe down paint surfaces(Oil and Wax removal), ordered the paint which Should be here by Friday along with sealant once get primer on and sanded to seal those surfaces.  Truck is drying inside and sitting as I await Fedex with two new front wheels I ordered.  Alcoa Accurides, to replace two pretty well bad I received with the truck.   Friday, MAYBE Monday should receive two New steering tires.  Was NOT going to pay $750-900 EACh and not doing the Local sales as only tires they were able to Quote were Michelin, Goodyear or Hankooks, ALL of which OVER $800.  Got a deal with FREE Ship on pair of 149L rated, H weight capacity Yokohama RY617 Steers as advised by several guys I deal with still in trucking.

$616 EACH plus FET so $1306 the pair, to my door.

Tomorrow Sanding begins in earnest!!!

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2022 at 6:17pm
Shock of the Day.  Spent good part of morning around truck, finalizing shop set up and assembling the paint guns, had to get more Milton 'L' couplers to rig them out.

Small tater's as steer tires been sweating on finding arrived today.  Shopped for SEEMINGLY Forever, nobody had anything reasonable price and worthy to buy brand.  Double Coins, some off brand oddball named I will NOT trust Chicom or Asia Major(India) crap.

So friend of mine and I sat down to makes and tread types, was gonna go Firestone  FS651, Non Available in 24.5, the next three were well over $750 EACH plus freight as NOT near to here.  Bud and I finally settled to Yokohama, tried for ZL101s, NA, found a Similar tread pattern same weight rating but a different tire RY617.  Skeptical I was down to too expensive or these, bought them, Simple Tire Co, SHIPPED FREE, came Fedex.

$616.xx and tax, total $1306.xx

Came today, expected to see made in India or SK, SHOCKED when saw Made In USA.
Factory in VA.  Good Looking Tires.

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2022 at 6:55pm
Should last a long time , or a big plus if you sell it ! 
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2022 at 7:06pm
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2022 at 11:46am
What's the DOT date? I can't make it out. Just wondered how new they were. That is the exact tire on my steers. Had several sets. No complaints.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2022 at 1:46pm
1322, end of Mar beginning Apr, this year.  Are 149L coded load range H, so will fit well to the 14,000 front axle.

Edited by DMiller - 15 Jul 2022 at 1:47pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2022 at 2:09pm
Progress of today.

Tomorrow, Hood, Cowl below windshields, cowl extensions and realign intake tubes.  Wet Towel everything off, allow to dry, tack cloth entire truck, start masking.  Do not expect to be done masking before Tuesday.  Couple walk arounds of machine, verify mask will work, paint time.
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2022 at 3:48pm
Yup you'll like those Yokohama's I had them on my Pete's and my freightliner, little different game but I have them all the way around on my dually now,, don't be afraid of those Double Coins, I had a set of 8 on the freightliner, I can't remember exactly the miles I got out of them but it was way up there,they never gave me a minutes trouble.You going to paint it turquoise and the fenders salmon with old school red starburst highlights??
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2022 at 6:07pm
Actually getting the Original Metallic Blue by paint code, then the fenders, front and rear  both will be Phantom Gray Metallic.
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2022 at 9:13pm
Blue & grey will look real nice
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 11:19am
Prep is done, mask just finished where So Did I, severe humid, went from low 70s at 5:30 to over 90 at 8:30 and I was drowning!!!

Have to wait until early next week for painting as too hot too early and too humid.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 2:17pm
  Looking good, need a air conditioned shop
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 4:18pm
Need a 40x80 with 16' ceilings, would be as big a help.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 2:28am

Looking GOOD, Dave,,,Clap I figure you prolly already know it,,,but don't leave the tape on there too long as it tends to really get stuck on whatever it is taped on,,,,
 What color you gonna spray on the trk,,,single stage or BC/CC??Clap
 I used to really like the Urethane paint as it went on easy and flow out was great,,!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 9:46am
Delfleet is a high solids Polyurethane enamel
Designed for HVLP system spraying
Came with a Drying additive, specific reducer and a hardener additive
The clear is a slower dry high buildup max Two coat
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2022 at 2:33pm
Got first load of primer on roof areas.  2K Epoxy base primer, tough to shoot as is done no reducer.  Did as expected, showed out Iffy spots, couple of tiny pocket holes on surface filler, a crack that needs cut out and re-glassed on hood, some points where paint lifted as had deeper surface cracking I did not deep enough sand.  All SMALL issues, just take time to address them all.

Fiberglass repairs at hood fender coder corners appear decent enough.  Heat is my current enemy, did the priming at 4am to minimize heat loading.
My Poor Man's down draft works pretty much as expected.

Two fans at opposing sides of opening and tarp between to keep air coming in mostly across top of door while partly open.

Edited by DMiller - 23 Jul 2022 at 2:36pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920>
  Share Topic