This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

KW Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 20>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2022 at 1:11pm
As came to us

Sponsored Links

tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2022 at 1:36pm
  Looks driveable and floor is cleaned.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2022 at 1:47pm
Engine was in parts!!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2022 at 2:31pm
YES , a lots of parts 

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2022 at 5:39pm
Will make a Helluva Hoss Fifth Wheel Camper Dragger!!!!  That is its next life.

As equipped, W900L (Long Hood), C15 6NZ(Clone) 500hp six cylinder Cat, 18spd Eaton Fuller, 14,000lb rate Steer axle, 46,000lb rate Eaton Air Locker (Full POSI) Drive axles under KW 8 Bag Air Ride.  Air Ride cab, Twin Air ride Seats, 42" standard Mattress Size large access Sleeper, Separate AC and Heat in cab and Bunk.  I am repairing ALL instrumentation as move along so ALL temp Gauges will function, Engine, Trans and Both Axles.  Fuel gauge is again working as is Speedo (Tested in Shop), reworking myriads of Idiot Fix repairs in wiring to Hood and Tail lighting, already repaired numerous faults in ABS system and Indicators for Axle Differential Lock systems.

Frame will be getting paint at exposed areas, Cab will be repainted same Color of Blue.  Will have Virgin Rubber tires, NO Bandaid Caps for this one.

Will be able to dance a Jig dragging a 26-32' Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler behind it.  May even achieve 10mpg Avg.

Edited by DMiller - 26 Feb 2022 at 5:51pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 6:27pm
Set the front brakes, axle seals, got the machine mobile and brought it Outside on its OWN Power parked on its OWN Brakes.  Cleaned up the mess in the shop and returned the project to the nest.  Will be laying low awhile, loads of Small details work, wiring, cleanup of frame retainer brackets, getting the rear frame re configured with a Receiver Hitch box.    Then can consider next weekend getting the Hood back on.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 6:54pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2022 at 9:00am
   Sounds and looks goood. Sure looks like a full hous when inside
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2022 at 7:54am
Is pretty well 'Tight' when the old girl is allowed to sleep and I work on it.  At times gets a taste TOO tight where wish had built 40 deep and 50-60 long but as I remember the Wife was having a hissy over the price of that(Concrete alone would have been over $40,000).  Yet could have just added to the end with a Shouse structure connected by Breezeway and would have been fine, she wanted no such animal as a Barn to live in, until we actually built what we have then commented should have built smaller.

Ah the good ol days of double speak second thoughts regrets and mistakes!!!!

Been at electrical and detail finishes of small stuff under hood.  Fuel Lines have been set and secured from the tank reposition BACK to original setting, new fuel return valve installed, loads of wiring bundle clamps that corrupted away been reinstalled and loose structure put back secure.  Have two ABS wiring repairs to make today, had to acquire a replacement Soldering gun as my last purchase (Weller CHINA Product) failed and cannot just butt splice these harness, resistance change is too great.  Have a number of tie off clamps to replace at the rear and the senders for rear end oil temps to swap, then will pull it to edge of slab to work on the Tail Plate hitch and lighting.

Next weekend I am going to try to reset the hood, have a number of small pieces to obtain to make the hinges less sloppy at which time trim and chrome will come off, prepping and masking will begin as Paint is the Next part of the Program.  Frame first, then Visqueen mask cover the lower structures and engine, paint the cab.  Finish attaching small parts then await $$$ level recovery to buy tires and remaining exhaust parts.

Do have one more run to Oklahoma pick up a set of rear full fenders(used Fiberglass need some work) and a CB radio the previous owner has offered up for FREE.  Just have to go get.  Then a little more $$$ recovery time and find us a decent USED RV Trailer.

Tail End

Tail/Turn Signals will be Top Two holes, Tail STOP lamps lower two, the existing Red lamp goes away with the matching cobbled hole to right with a new cover plate for ONE B/U lamp in the Right Hole and a seven way flat blade plug in the plate in that left hole.  Have a Cat 4 hitch box to go in the square hole.

Edited by DMiller - 20 Mar 2022 at 8:04am
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2022 at 11:20am

Hey Dave,,you prolly already know this,,,but I come up on something that has helped me "tremendously" on soldering,,,.  For years I hated thinking bout soldering any electrical wires as bout all I could do was just gob it on and watch a lot of the solder run off and melt where you don't want it,,BUT,,I was in Home Depot some time back and there was a dude doing a demo on soldering and he was pushing a water based solder. He made it look so simple I decided to try it and it was amazing! You just put a dab of this water based solder on the connection, put your gun tip on the solder and it immediately starts to melt and draws the solder in and melts both together so dang smooth for a perfect soldering job,,,,!!! Works every time.
 Hope this helps,,,,Clap
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2022 at 3:31pm
I use old fashioned Ruby Fluid paste, is a acid that cleans the wire as is heated and the solder sucks in as supposed to.

Small tin would seem to last forever but does age badly and need to replace occasionally.
Did get tge tail end coametics well under way today.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2022 at 7:29pm
Tail board repairs

Clean and paint backside after hitch brace goes in the add D-Ring loops for Safety Chains Paint rear frame and install lights.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2022 at 4:58pm
And now, let the Body Work begin

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2022 at 2:53pm
Don't forget your mask with asll the dust.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2022 at 5:54pm
Have a Half Face with replaceable cartridges, not to worry!!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2022 at 5:22pm
Back to tail end awhile today as could nose the truck out.  Hitch work is complete, working now on electrical to support bumper pull trailers(Truck will be my new pickup).

Edited by DMiller - 02 Apr 2022 at 5:34pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2022 at 5:37pm
OEM Tail light circuit cable will lead to Jct Block box and distribute off that to trailer plug as well lamps.

Do have the other side of the plug in to go to the box, in this birds nest.

Box is currently mounted to this bracket hanging on rear crossmember

Edited by DMiller - 02 Apr 2022 at 5:41pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 5:24pm
Body work begins

Hood stripped for repairs, next weekend Cab gets treatment then entire machine gets a bath and the shop a full cleanup.   Then DA and fiberglass work, prep for paint.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2022 at 7:53am
   it will be blooming like a fresh spring flower
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 2:35pm
Rear wiring completed except for brake controller circuit, all in cab work.  Got to stripping all the external removable stuff off and getting ready for body work prior to paint.  Found a Extra Mirror Heat Circuit was wired in, have no intent of buying expensive heated spot mirrors so those are eliminated.  Ordered Cab marker lamps, plastic chrome is peeling and three bad lenses, actually less expense to buy Complete LED replacements for all 5.  Horn Trumpets are off, grab handles and mirrors supports as well the Eye Brow visor, the rest will get masked around except the lamps where they will come off as new ones arrive and KNOW they do fit.

Had a Old School similar to a Limo type antenna base on the Sleeper roof, that has been removed, next up Fiberglass repairs on front fender corners and sleeper roof then DA work block sanding and getting ready to spray it Deep Blue Metallic.  Couple Weeks will be there.  Be at OKLA for weekend of 21st, carpenter stuff again and picking up rear full fenders, get mounts aligned and then spray those along with front fenders in Phantom Gray Metallic.  Have both paint codes.  After that clear entire cab and start rehanging all the trim.  Will need a New Grill and Grill bars but can wait awhile

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 5:11am
Getting almost ridiculous as to offers for the truck once completed.  Several guys that operate as Owner Operators on lease to the company I drive for have made note to their friends I am rebuilding this, two have even stopped by to examine for purchase that I have NOT offered out.  

One told me I will not get what asking where asked him what I asked as I had not named a price and really had no intentions of selling.  His response was "Oh you'll sell it, cannot afford to keep it", then told me what his top dollar was, excused myself and said he could find his own way to the gate.  Trucks as this are evidently a rare commodity, full out frame overhaul, specs for chassis and running gear, inordinate amount of repairs and upgrades where is ELD Exempt, Emissions Exempt due to Age and no longer as built, and will be a solid machine once completed.  New machines have had a price rise since last year, my current boss stated a twin Pete to one bought last November is $30,000 MORE since last November, cost increase due to Warranty Recovery moneys.
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 6:07am
All trucks are wired for mirror heat. If the truck is built without heated mirrors then the wires are taped up behind the dash.

Last I checked grilles are on backorder through Kenworth so you may have to wait anyway on that LOL. If it is old enough that it has a grilledenser then those are obsolete through Kenworth and you will have to convert it to a radiator mounted condenser and standard grille

Yes prices have gone WAY up on new units since 1 year ago, however there is more behind it then warranty issues.....

Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 4:57pm
Aftermarket fake grill densers are still available, KW parts guy said TRP has them available and is ordering me one, just under $400. The ribs for the grill are tougher, he is still looking.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 12:16pm
Began the fiberglass repairs this morning, got covering patches on the sleeper roof holes, mixed up some resin and strengthened some cracked spots, added some glass in a few locations to seal off soft spots.  Now is curing period before sand on and see what need to do to smooth out these spots.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 1:52pm
Made a HUGE decision this weekend, spoke with the Wife and we agreed, my Last Day at the Trucking Company will be June 10th.  That keeps me where I need to be as to getting a few odd projects beyond this one worked and completed before fall.  Will still be finishing the KW, just now at a stage can SLOW drastically while contemplating next moves as in RV for it.
Weekend of May 20-23 will be in OK helping with some carpentry work then gather up some last pieces and bringing them home, mainly Rear Fender assemblies.  Then a added short week for Memorial Day Weekend and then only Two First Weeks of June, will be Back to Retired.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 2:29pm
Funny you talk of fiberglass repair - I was one of the first to work at Ferco in Chamois back 25? years ago- learned alot of fiberglass
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 11:21pm
My money say's you'll be back in a truck within a year.....it's a sickness....
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2022 at 4:20am
May only be this one
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2022 at 5:57pm
Gave notice today with Boss's son, boss/owner was out sick.  He is good with the Why and accepts I will be leaving on good terms.  Thought his Dad would be good with this.

Are enough Younger people trying to learn these jobs as have figured out the need to work to eat.  I only went to work for them to get thru tough times, those have moved on.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 4:49am
Ordered the primer to seal the crazing on the sleeper roof and spot prime the fresh glass work on hood, be here early next week, also ordered the chrome elbows for exhaust to exit from under the cab as is a 6 week lead time.  Also ordered body shop grade tape and masking paper for small stuff and roll sheet plastic for the larger stuff.

Have all but the cab marker lights off for the repaint now and getting anxious to get the body work complete.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 20>
  Share Topic