This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

KW Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 20>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 6:27am
4W5700 means someone has line bored the block at some point. I have a cheat sheet with all of the CAT 3406 main bearing numbers LOL. I have walked this path many times.....
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
Sponsored Links

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 6:51am
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Biggest news of the day, the project may end up in someone else's garage as Wife has made the decision will be a Divorce by January, as soon as all the Family stuff she scheduled is completed into December.  Entire Farm will be gone by spring along with all the trappings we have assembled.  Will be back to where I was in 1975 only now will be retired instead of training for a new job.  47 years on my own and 37 years with one gal.
Sorry to hear this news, on all aspects of it.  Question though....you're 84?  Or I guess I don't understand what you're saying.  Sorry, no disrespect.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 8:39am

OH Gosh Dave,,I am so very sorry to hear about you and your wife. Maybe there is still some room for an agreement of sorts,,,,? 37 years is a long time and no doubt there will be enough times that you miss her for not being there. I wish you all the best in your future from here on out. I've followed most of your posts and know you have always been a very active person and that will help, but it will be different. OH,,,and by the way, Good Luck on the girl hunting,,,,,,WinkClap
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 6:01pm
47 years been away from home I grew up in, not counting Mil time.  37 of those years with the wife and damned near as alone most time.  Now she is glued to the One Eyed brain Cooker and will not walk away from it to do anything around the house unless shamed into it, now she feels is time to get out.  
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 6:05pm
Have the Seal installer for Both front and rear seals, have 'New' STD bearings in the block that is OS, where if the other is STD will just be a swap.  4W-5700 bearings are available if choose to use the OE Block but for some reason every time work to it the Jinx plays out so with that the replacement block will get built.  

Somting wong wif Old Engine and is NOT gonna get to me again!!!

Have the p/n for a Easy Pedal of this Clutch, given by a fella I know in WA State, suggested it as holds as well but easier to release.  And knew the 306 series bearing for Pilot, used to install 306SS, Stainless Seal covers.  Input is really smooth and no severe dig indications on splines, slid out like was greased but not, flywheel not bad enough to turn or to exchange.  Will also get a Solid two piece brake that can be removed if shears without a gas axe or pulling trans.

Edited by DMiller - 22 Nov 2021 at 6:12pm
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 6:55pm
I am with you on the easy pedal clutch and the two piece brake but I always turn the flywheel you don’t want any more problems
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 7:07pm
Dave, hang in there! Prayers all goes your way! Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 4:59am
Thanks Tracy.  At least I will not defriend my Nephew here on wife's side, he will receive the 180 and implements should this all go down, still working his dad's place at Gladden MO where can use the machinery.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 2:01pm
   Prayers for You Dave hope everything works out for you.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 3:24pm
Bearing Shells arrived at work yesterday, will finish disassembly tomorrow and haul the block for a car wash clean off.

Block, Bell Housing, Starter and Front Structure cover to be deep cleaned this time.  Have to finish removal of leaking rear seal assembly still on shaft then polish it better in a few spots.  New rear mount cushions came yesterday as well.

Edited by DMiller - 25 Nov 2021 at 3:25pm
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 5:01pm
Dang, now thats a crankshaft !
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 8:29am
Actually impressive engines, based on the Old 3406, Hell of a Base Model to build off.

Block still has the casting points for the In Block Camshaft just not machined out, Seven Mains made it Lighter and stronger than a comparable Cummins and a Workhouse Workhorse capable of a thousand HP in Marine Applications as a C Series Overhead Cam engine.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 3:51pm
Dang it - your progect got my little mind buzzing as I have a Big Al that would maybe fit in there
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 4:04pm
Need find you a Mid 70s tractor/truck and set it to it!!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 4:08pm
Todays work, flywheel resurfaced

Cleaning

Black goo ALL Gone, can easily get into reassembly now, then Paint Up all Purty like.

In last photo, can see Oil Pump output port on Bottom Block Flange near Center side facing camera, that delivers to the Large Port direct beneath on block side to Oil Filter head and oil cooler, where the port to the left is into the Main Oil Gallery.  Are seven threaded ports along that gallery with plugs removed, Each is to a Main Bearing that then feed rods and Number One main that feeds Gear Train and Head.

Edited by DMiller - 26 Nov 2021 at 4:12pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 7:58am
Almost forgot this, the Block was marked, At rear face of Rear Main!!

In thousands not MM as bearings are marked.  ONLY spot on block and invisible unless have bellhousing with crankshaft off block.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 1:10pm
Block after cleaning

Flywheel

Productive morning, now have to assemble Xmas Tree!!  Mains in, Set to 100# checked No 1&4 at under .006 plastigage at full torque and turns.  Crankshaft still spins free.
Will set to final torque and torque turn the remaining five tomorrow night.

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 1:20pm
Im not used to this big of diesel engine but to me sure seems like that Cat used a small flywheel- I understand they tested and approved it and must be made of great metal
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 1:33pm
Flywheel is in excess of 75 pounds, uses 15.5" two plate button clutch where the clutch makes up the spinning mass.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 9:51pm
You try lifting that thing up in place with the engine in the truck and you won't think it's small. That's when a clutch jack becomes your friend.

Edited by SteveM C/IL - 28 Nov 2021 at 9:52pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2021 at 3:24am
Did that for twenty five years, 14” two plate and as 15.5” became popular. All by hand generally by myself flywheels and clutches.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 7:24am
Doing by hand was good to have an old input shaft with the head torched off. Stack in one piece at a time. For clutch that is....
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 5:50pm
Worked OK on 14”
15.5 the pressure plate is the center plate retainer so must go up as a unit.
Did those by hand under road tractors long ago.

Edited by DMiller - 03 Dec 2021 at 4:48am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 11:04pm
Been many years since I did it the hard way. Borrow trucking company friends tranny and clutch jacks now.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 4:50am
Mine will be On engine as is returned into chassis, sitting out on floor can arm wrestle the clutch onto pilot bolts with my old cut off input shaft to set it up.  Been awhile but one last clutch for myself as this will be the last Big Clutch I ever do!!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 3:59pm
Big weekend of events.  Had our family Xmas here yesterday, and yet again BILs Wife, the one that pushed us onto our current place was a No Show, Darn It!!  BIL Did come with his Son Daughter in Law and her Grandma.

Was a Great day, wife made ribs in the oven and Sisi in Law(Her Sis) brought Fried Chicken NUMNUM!  Pink Salad, Broccoli Salad, Nana Pudding, pickle and relish tray cheese and other little morsels, Stuffed like a Loaded Tic!

Today had breakfast at Knights of Columbus at our Church, pancakes, bacon, sausage, Biscuit and gravy, scrambled eggs, tea coffee juice and water as requested, $10 a plate all can eat and asked if would care to, donations above the cost accepted.

Next up set rear seal and flywheel, stood engine up on bell housing, got side tool box off and trans out from under, dragged truck chassis outdoors and cold water pressure washed the engine/trans area as well the trans.  All is back inside as tomorrow gonna be cooler again, Wed/Thurs will be warm but be working and rain again next weekend.  Photos as soon as get downloaded and resized.

Edited by DMiller - 12 Dec 2021 at 4:01pm
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2021 at 7:00am
Dave,
Wishing you and your family the best! Sounds like you have some things that will keep you busy working on them.
Your truck engine project is coming along nicely! I have never worked on anything this big. You make it look easy.
 Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 13 Dec 2021 at 7:00am
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2021 at 5:14pm
Nephew, his wife, my SIL to right of her and seated closest is Niece In Law's Grandma

Engine sitting on Cardboard

Truck Frame Washed

Transmission, cleaner at least enough to Find the Bolts!!  Tool box removed is on edge in front of trans to get trans out from under truck.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2021 at 5:16pm
Ordered clutch and a few odd pieces needed under the cab where have GREAT access to repair currently!!

NEW Not Reman 15.5" Easy Pedal Clutch assembly $700 and some change.
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2021 at 10:56pm
Well, when it's finished it should still be substantially cheaper then a new truck of equal quality.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 20>
  Share Topic