This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

KW Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 20>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: KW Project
    Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 12:16pm
Might as well start this.  Tomorrow headed to OK to assist in reducing the Beast to what I can utilize.  Forward Drop axle is coming off as is the Chain Rack.

First order of business as arrives HERE, is to get loaded into workshop, start unbolting hood pivots and unplug Hood harness to situate OUTSIDE.  Then engine tear down from stage is currently in to determine which is best alternate to go with it.

Some Pics:
As saw it Last

As currently situated at Buddy's shop in OK:

Fuel tanks will be resituated(Original Location) to Under Sleeper, Tool Box beneath Drivers Door and a Battery Box beneath Passenger Door as was built.  Stack will remain OFF until can be placed Outside my Shop(Not enough Door Headroom).
Sponsored Links

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 1:03pm
Well...that suspension is not conducive to making it a single rear axle. With your skill you could graph a single axle bag setup on there. That's assuming you don't want to play trucker on the side. Wasn't this to be an RV?
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 6:40pm
RV Toter. Fifth Wheel hauler.  Wish Bone can be moved forward to reduce to Single Axle Air ride, however reduces overall ride and effective weight capacity.  Is a Hendrickson Single Axle Single bag per side available to change that if need to.

As to towing a Trailer, works Tandem Or single, retains resale value Tandem.  Just a lot of moving hardware for dragging a Empty!!  HOWEVER, as get it done are Dealers with recent trades for Actual Toters, have been in contact with a few where this truck is a Worthy trade to a slightly Newer Toter Crew Cab with air ride ad air brakes but Automatic.

For the price in trade goods, I am NOT complaining if use as is for a Toter.

Edited by DMiller - 22 Oct 2020 at 6:41pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 7:03pm
Spec as sits, C15 550 HP Cat, Eaton Fuller 18Spd Eaton 46,000 rear differentials with cab control differential lock(Not just Power Divider) 11R 24.5 Rubber, NO Abs due to weight capacity, 14000 Steer Axle.  2005 W900L 54" factory walk in Sleeper on air ride suspension, Double Frame, 8 bag AG200 Air Ride rear suspension, Std Holland air slide fifth wheel.  240" WB

Fuel tanks were repositioned on original purchase for Drop Axle for Heavy hauling, has all the original take off parts.  May strip back to a Single fuel tank if Keep it.  Could strip back to Single Rear Differential if Keep it.  
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 9:47pm
i should buy the air horns!
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 5:11pm
Good looking truck Dave. Am currently steering a Western Star with a C15 under the hood. Can't beat the sound of that very 'determined' combustion bark they make on the mountain climbs.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 7:21pm
I wish you weren't half way across the country or I'd be interested in that pusher lift axle.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 9:00am
I'd like to say that looks like a fun project but from the size and weight of everything, I'm thinking nope.  I'll stick with CA's and U's.
Maximum use of available resources!
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 9:50am
with the length of that frame you don't need a trailer camper, just box in the rest of the frame and you will have a homemade motor home, the sleeping quarter are already there.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 4:40pm
LOL TA, Want to keep it at least usable for pulling a regular trailer if need should arise!

BIG Weekend, took load of Materials and left overs from house down, we removed pusher axle, chain rack and associated plumbing.  Loaded up a crap load of odds and ends with the bad head and its associated internals.  Will download and minimize the photos later, only recently returned and off loaded all I brought back.  Looking at 2-4 weeks to a weekend available to drag up the project.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 7:22am
Buddy am getting this from is keeping the drop axle and rack, I have no need of them, he has the both on CL Tulsa OK.

End result of weekend, truck is now currently on its own shoes, the L Rr has been swapped and all brakes are 'Caged' so can roll on/off a roll back trailer for when gets here.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 8:04am
Ran out of space had to delete a few!!

Old wagon is filthy but viable so far.  Even if engine block is trash are available Used engines all over for this and not bad pricing for age/miles.

Edited by DMiller - 26 Oct 2020 at 8:06am
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 4:28pm
Pulled cam from head today, more parts Not GoodShocked
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 7:48pm
D,
That is a project I know nothing about, interesting though. I have never driven a big truck like that either. I dont have a CDL Looks like it would be fun to try.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 6:33am
Been working on around or operating heavy trucks since I was 18, drove farm trucks as young as 14.  Semi Trucks can be a handful with loads often overloaded in commercial zones.

Used really hard engines as this one get to 600,000 really easily, modern diesels can make a million without overhaul anymore this one bit the dust due to a serious overheat with oversized load.  Was running heavy equipment hauling thus the removed drop axle.

I have driven multi stick trans set ups(Not all that well) air splitter 9,10,13, 15 and 18 speed, where all are a five speed main with abilities to split several times, even driven straight gate 7 and 8 speed trans set ups(awkward), this one is a pretty common 550hp Cat, 18 speed Fuller/Eaton(five speeds each split able) in low side four speeds in High each one split able (so essentially 10&8 gears), has the heavier bushing stronger double frame rail 46,000+lb capacity rear eight bag air ride suspension so will ride well and handle anything placed on it I can muster.  46,000 Eaton air locker differentials where most heavy trucks have a lockable Power Divider(Differential between the two rear ends) this also has a air shift positive traction lock in each differential, No single wheel slip will occur in the rear.  Brakes on older semis as this are drum, 16" diameter, 7 or 8" wide blocks on shoes and uses a spring application "Maxi" Brake for positive parking security.  Old style slack adjuster brake adjustment devices have advanced to auto adjust and are inspected but require little attention generally as well are Externally mounted so easier to change, Brake Drums are Outboard on hubs so just pull tires and remove drums.  Air brakes CAN leak, just little mess and easier to fix than hard tube hydraulic brakes.  Truck weighs in at a modest 18,000# sits on 11R24.5 tires on Aluminum pilot center single lug nut Rims, the old twin lug Budd sets are about obsolete now.  
A LOT of instrumentation in the cabs, much of which is Eye Candy unless pulling serious loads.  Trans and Axle temperatures, Engine oil and coolant temps, some times fuel pressure along with oil pressure. Air pressure for brakes, indicated air on suspension for loading, speedo and tach, lots of switches for obvious lighting and accessories, can look daunting but once acclimated is pretty simple.  Do have pretty well standardized power steering, really good AC and Heaters well insulated cabs for temperature and noise controls.  Sit REALLY High so great visibility.  Rear Mirrors are Cab mounted these days so no longer swing with the doors and doors need not be fully closed to see to the rear, vibrate much less.  Engine services tend to be done like our modern cars, to a mileage indicator that takes in driving style, abuse, severity of demands.  Most large trucks change oil and filters at 15-20,000 miles
Tire average life kept aired properly is 100-125,000 miles, brakes in my use may last life of machine, air bags on suspension die from repetitive cycling as do the diaphragms in the brake chambers, aluminum cabs and sleepers may last a few decades no more than normal attention.
Is not readily discernable but the Pin on a Fifth Wheel Camper is the same dimension as a Semi Trailer for product hauling, will mate directly into the Semi Truck Fifth Wheel.  Pin Height is roughly the same for both trailers as well.

As a side note, big diesels also generally come with an Exhaust Pressure Brake System(Jakes), these work by solenoid operation where as the cylinder comes up on a compression stroke and just as the Unit Injector goes to cycle the exhaust valves are Popped Open, that is what causes the Thrumming noise from the exhaust, the engines are turned into a large compressor and use that pressure force to slow the truck saving brake life.  Switch operated on the dash, disabling switches on throttle and clutch pedals.

Can be intimidating but are just machines.

Edited by DMiller - 28 Oct 2020 at 6:36am
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 9:34am
and all brakes are 'Caged' so can roll on/off a roll back trailer for when gets here.

Dave... what does that mean ?  Are you planning on sending it down the road ?  trade ?
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 9:41am
Air 'Maxi Chambers' have a mechanical bypass capability, is called Caging the Spring, very similar to the bolt retainer for the crawler Death Rebound Springs for R&R. 

This is so when air leaks too heavily or not available can release the parking side and move the machine.

I MAY trade the truck upon 'Wife's choice' should she not wish to ride a Semi pulling a RV!!  Does not bother me and is not all that Huge to me as it is to her.  Most Semi Tractors are as short or shorter than Crew Cab Pickups used for this.  Is  bit overkill for weight capacity, but the price puts it at affordable,(TRADES and Overhaul cost).  A Reasonably new Crew Dually is still above $50,000 for one I would trust for any length of time, this truck refurbished is worth close to $50k as a trade or outright sale as well.

Dually Crew cabs are roughly 270" OA Body Length, this truck is only 4' longer overall where Pin point of Trailer is within 1.5-2 feet on chassis.  Truck itself is only 9'8" tall top of Air Horns, trailers are over 12'6" top of AC Units so actually decrease Trailer Nose Drag as see with a Pickup.  Both this or a Dually are 8' wide.

Edited by DMiller - 28 Oct 2020 at 9:47am
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 9:45am
‘Caged Brakes’, in laymen’s terms is backing off the adjustment on the slack adjusters, far enough that the brake shoes are held off and not touching the brake drums, even when the air system has zero psi.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 9:48am
Not done at Slack Adjusters, special Caging bolt is emplaced.
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 10:02am
Had a pot on a grain trailer that I couldn't get a cage bolt in because it wouldn't line up, never seen that before.  Ended up changing the pot.

Dave, when you change out a pot do you split the pot or replace the entire pot and rod?  I was showed how to change a pot by splitting it and have done it that way since.

My Uncle did what your doing, he had a old 4 door dually duramax that he got rid of and just uses a semi to pull his rv.  Said he would never go back to a pickup because the truck just makes everything a easy pull, obviously.  I suppose if you wanted to unhook and drive around maybe a pickup would be better but in his case he has a toy hauler and him and his wife have motorcycles they ride once they're where they are staying.
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 10:04am
Just noticed you got lucky those fenders aren't cracked or bent up it looks like. That's unusual Thumbs Up
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 10:21am
DMiller, you are correct, I didn’t ‘splain myself correct.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 10:21am
I would on occasion come across a chamber that either would not cage or the internals were hosed up and instead of dealing with it changed the entire pot.  Not that expensive where labor in my day was more than just swapping the hole mess.  There are Aluminum housing Maxi Chambers still out there, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE cage one of those.  They corrode internally and can explode without warning.  We would torch the retaining clamp AFTER full chamber removal and launch them into barrels to throw away.

New Maxi Chambers the diaphragm is not serviceable so the 3/4 chambers just go away when leak.  This truck will receive four New Chambers and service diaphragms.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Lars(wi) Lars(wi) wrote:

DMiller, you are correct, I didn’t ‘splain myself correct.

You are fine, just trying to keep it correct as these can be dangerous.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 12:56pm
Had 2 of those aluminum covers blow off a 78 Dorsey dump driving down the road. Didn't hit anyone luckily. Corroded paper thin on one side. Sounded like a tire blew! The other 2 got put in press and disassembled then replaced. That probably was not smart....but I survived.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 2:44pm
Dump trucks in the 1980s would have them at rear of rear axle, would corrode and erode until bulged where the guys would ask that we fix them.  Crawl under with a sledge from the front and hit them usually ONLY once and they would pop.  Not pretty MGM Maxi Cans.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 3:29pm
I got my CDL when I was 18 then grandfathered into the newer CDLs and last year when I renewed my license I cancelled my CDL hadn't used them 10 years
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 4:01pm
For now NOT letting my Certs go.  When comes time to renew will Drop Hazmat/Tank and Multiple trailer, most likely Passenger (Van or Regular Bus) too, get down to just a Class A with Motorcycle endorsement.   Until such time as I get too feeble to pass the physical I will continue to hold mine at that, TOO damn hard to get it back.
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 4:48pm
Same here,I'll drop my HAZ & Tanker, but I'll hang onto my CDL
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 7:52pm
Oh, come on guys, haz mat and tanker is where the money is at!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 20>
  Share Topic