This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bought an old dodge sweptline truck

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LB0442 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bought an old dodge sweptline truck
    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 10:33pm
A little over 2 years ago I bought a 1965 dodge at a consignment auction, $400.  Man my wife was upset when she first saw it.

Well it wasn't too pretty.  This is when I picked it up.

This is when I got it home.

After cleaning it up the bed hardly has a rust in it and the tailgate is almost perfect, just 1 small ding.

Poured a gallon of ATF through the carb and let it set for about 2 weeks.  Pulled the plugs, turned it over and blew all the oil out.  New plugs, cleaned out the carb and it ran, YAH.  It did want to overheat and water pump was noisy so I put a water pump on it, flushed out rad and I drove it around the place for a month or 2.  I replaced the 4 wheel cylinders and all brake hoses and master cylinder(rock auto had them cheap).  I took off the cab lights.  Welded all the holes in the roof up and just did a light coat of paint over that.  I fixed the door latches.  The steam cleaner took off the green stripe someone had spray bombed on, then wet sanded the outside with 2000 grit and it cleaned up nice.  I put a few hundred miles on it to see how the motor was holding up.  No smoke and minimal oil use, just a lot of leaks.

So I decided to update it a little.  New valve seals, rod and main bearings, oil pump, timing chain.  Resealed the intake and oil pan/crank seals.

I do not like shifting anymore so I thought I would put an automatic in it.  Word to the wise DO NOT attempt this if you don't have some mechanical skills.  It was way more involved than I expected.  I am lucky there are 2 old junkyards not too far from me.  Bought 2 dashes from them , 1 auto and one standard(because the auto one was butchered up).  

Welded in the auto trans shifter mount and welded up the extra holes.

Blasted the dash, smoothed the welds, added filler and glaze.

Painted it with PPG's shop line(low line) omni single stage paint.

Had to make my own crossmember(junk yard one was MIA).

I used 2" x 1/4" tubing, nice and thick to fill in the angles where I had to weld.  I got the shifter on eBay, trans from the U pull it yard, I replaced clutches and seals in it, looked really good inside.  Cooler lines from a van at the yard.  I did have to have a driveshaft made, couldn't find the right length.  I did buy a new champion radiator off eBay that had the trans cooler in it, didn't want to mess with the 55 year old one.

This is what the interior started out as.

I bought the chrome dash pieces off eBay plus the white steering wheel.  Vinyl floor mat from rock auto.  Retrosound radio and a cheap seat cover from ebay.

I got a 2.76 (better for highway cruising) third member from craigslist for $50 so I did axle and pinion seals on the rearend and replaced the axle bearings.  Resealed the steering gearbox, plus electronic ignition and a solid state voltage regulator.  Belts and hoses, put a GM heater control valve on it(it was cheap, mopar one was nonexistent).  Slant 6 fan clutch from junkyard.

It looks and sound really good now.  I got most of the exhaust at the u pull it yard from a 2003 suburban, nice and quiet now.  Does freeway speeds no problem, gets about 1000 miles to a quart of oil, I'm good with that.   I am into it now for a total of $3680, including purchase price (not counting labor though).  The outside is still all original paint and looks pretty good, well except the roof part.  Hub caps are from a late 50's dodge coronet.

Sponsored Links

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 10:52pm

Hey LBO,,,,that right there is a "Labor Of Love",,,,Clap  and you done GREAT,,,!!!ClapClap   They's too many folks that cannot see the diamond in a rough lookin car or trucks,,,but you did,,!! Your wife will now want to take it to the store for provisions more often now,,,,WinkWink
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 12:04am
Nice job!
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 12:19am
great job! thanks for sharing your project with us! 
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 6:23am
Nice find and nice work. đź‘Ť
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 4:14pm
Very cool— nice job keeping it in service!
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 4:28pm
That is a cool old mopar pickup. Great catch & rejuvenation. I love the 318v8 - 200hp decal on the engine’s passenger valve cover. Bet it sounds good when running. I’m jealous. Does your wife ask to drive it now?
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 5:39pm
Old wide block 318s were torque monsters.
LB0442 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LB0442 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by AC7060IL AC7060IL wrote:

That is a cool old mopar pickup. Great catch & rejuvenation. I love the 318v8 - 200hp decal on the engine’s passenger valve cover. Bet it sounds good when running. I’m jealous. Does your wife ask to drive it now?

My wife has this crazy idea that it needs seat belts???  But she does think it looks pretty good now.
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 9:29pm
đź‘Ťđź‘Ť
allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 10:07pm
Wow! Great going!
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 11:09pm
Well that was a bunch of work but it turned out GREAT!!! Very cool to have such a useable prospect to work on. Just took some fixin. You did well!
Guess everybody used the hook and chain on their tailgates. I only knew Chevies.

Edited by SteveM C/IL - 18 Oct 2020 at 11:11pm
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 11:22pm
Very nice job on bringing this truck back to life! Thanks for the pictures. Sometimes I have a notion to get something old to work on too.
Great pictures of your work!
 Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 1:43pm
Great job, looks good
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 2:02pm
Chris, now that you have a nice shop, you can start to look for other restoration projects!
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 8:09pm
That looks great.  I could see the value as soon as I saw the first pic.  Not a spot of rust thru.  I hate Dodge but that one was made before they went to crap.  I would love to find a early 60's chevy p/u that looked that good.  But I'm too old to start any new projects.  I really like the looks of that truck.  It turned out great.  Good job.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 10:21pm
John. Is it old enough to have the black box on the firewall that controls the electronic ignition? My 1970's Dodge van had it. If your pickup has it, get a spare and put it in the glove box. You will need it. It ain't fun when your hauling a load of boy scouts home from scout camp and she dies on you or worse yet, the old gal is with you headed for her mommas place and it dies. I was lucky, the guy I bought it from clewed me in. These both happened to me, but a 7/16th wrench, a used box, and 10 minutes took care of both events. And you have the old truck is looking good.
LB0442 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LB0442 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 9:58am
It originally had points, after I got it running enough to decide the motor was fine I put in a pertronix ignition.  I do know what you are talking about the black ECU box on the 70's units.  They would just fail all of the sudden.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 12:36am
I didn't notice it at first, and I don't know if it was factory but it looks like it was light blue over white.  If that is original, it would sure look good repainted in that scheme.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 7:50am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic