This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Chalmers 180 engine block drain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyjax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis Chalmers 180 engine block drain
    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 6:27pm
Hello all-

Trying to find the engine block coolant drain on my '71 180-2800 engine. Manuals are incorrect and say the plug is aft of the fuel filter bit don't have a drain plug there. I have two large threaded plugs forward of the fuel filter on the right side of the engine. One is above and slightly forward of the other. Which one? Thanks. Engine serial number 2D 49275.
Sponsored Links

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 6:42pm
You may have a different series 301 block in there with those plugs , the drain plug is on the starter side, close to the oil pressure sensor, theres a small plug think it's square: and thats the coolant drain

Edited by DougG - 14 Oct 2020 at 4:35am
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 7:10pm
As Doug says, starter side. It's between starter and fuel filter, almost hidden behind the fuel primer pump.
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 8:41pm
There is one behind injection pump also.          MACK
andyjax View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyjax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 7:34am
Thanks. I'll look today. Really would like to drain and flush the block. I'm re-doing the cooling system and there was some rust in the radiator. Is the plug square then or hex head-don't want to unscrew the wrong one. Also how big is the plug? The ones I mentioned are at least a 3/4" wrench size, maybe bigger. 
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 2:06pm
9/16" wrench...…..1/4" pipe thread drain plug.
andyjax View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyjax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 5:23pm
thanks again. I found three of those on the same level in the block. One in back of the fuel primer pump, one behind the oil sender unit, and one behind the injector pump. Not wanting to take a chance, I pulled the thermostat and old water pump and flushed out best I could. Got quite a bit of 'stuff' out of there but thankfully no rust. Took an air hose with low pressure and forced the rest of the water out. Hope this is OK, if not let me know. I'll put in antifreeze with distilled water before it freezes
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 9:53pm
The water plug will be slightly higher on block than oil galley plugs. if you remove an oil plug accidentally,just reinstall it.
andyjax View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyjax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 7:46am
Thanks. One more question while I am talking to the experts- In the winter only, after a cold soaked start, antifreeze is sucked into the crankcase and winds up in the oil. Guess this is a small crack somewhere because it never does it in warm weather. I put some recommended sealer in the antifreeze and it seems to be holding well. Thoughts?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 7:59am
Thoughts aren't very pleasant. You probably have leaking Orings on the bottom of the cylinder sleeves. Antifreeze in the oil is horrible on engine main and rod bearings.
andyjax View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyjax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 5:58am
Right. Well, I'll keep running it until I can't. Agco parts told me the other day that more and more parts are being discontinued. Sad.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 6:01am
That's a terribly broad statement. All the parts you need for your engine problem are available. After you run it too long with coolant in the oil the crankshaft will be ruined or have a hole in the side of the block.
andyjax View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyjax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 6:07am
That's the strange thing-no coolant in the oil since warm weather last spring. Oil looks good on the dipstick and level hasn't risen at all since I drained the antifreeze and oil out late last winter. Doesn't even burn oil. I don't need the tractor as much in the winter so maybe I will let it sit until next spring. Thanks for the input.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 6:19am
Oil will always look just fine on the dipstick until it has been run and mixed in with the oil. Antifreeze goes to the bottom of the oil pan. If you let it sit for a  few days in the cold, remove the oil drain plug just to the last thread and carefully see if there is any coolant. It will be right there if there is any.
andyjax View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyjax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 7:09am
Thanks. Can you recommend someone to rebuild the engine when the time comes? Maybe ship it somewhere? Local talent is unavailable and unreliable.
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 1:30pm
Have an oil analysis. The analysis will tell you what parts are likely worn in the engine and if antifreeze is present in the oil.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic