This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

coordless tool batteries

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: coordless tool batteries
    Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 10:30am
have any ya'll tried the aftermarket, i.e. not name branded batteries for your battery powered tools? I been lookin and the no-name ones are WAY cheaper!,, but that low price may make them the most expensive if they crap out in a day or two, burn up the tools,, etc.,,,
If it matters, I'm lookin at the Milwaulkie 18V Li-Ion
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 12:44pm
I have a CRAFTSMAN 19.2 volt system... Had it for 15 years... Started buying the aftermarket batteries about 6 years ago... I buy TWO, then two years later buy TWO, then two years later buy TWO... etc.... I have two that are  less than 2 years old and 2 less than 4 years old all the time... I have had a couple last 6-7 years.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 12:52pm
I tried Werks batteries for my DeWalt several years ago and was not impressed. Bear in mind at that time I worked em hard as a plumber in the field.
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 2:37pm
The way it worked for me ended up costing about the same, maybe a bit more.  The aftermarket batteries were cheaper, but had to be replaced more often and run time wasn't as good.  I just buy the Milwaukee ones now.  There maybe some good ones out there but it is a crapshoot.  JMHO.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 3:14pm
Took my would not recharge dewalt batteries to batteries plus, two rebuilt for $80 included disposal charge for old batteries.  Work Fine HOWEVER they cannot do the Lithium units currently.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 5:37pm
Should mention that i am buying LITHIUM for the past 6 years... No more Ni-Cad... dont know what others have used from aftermarket..
omahagreg View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahagreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 8:26pm
NO after market batteries for me ever!  I worked at a place that years prior had tried them and the caught on fire!  5 or so years later they tried them again-got so hot on the charger they refused to let them finish charging!  NO WAY NO HOW for me.  I just pay mother Makita whatever she wants and sleep well at night!
Greg Kroeker
1950 WD with wide front and Freeman trip loader
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 9:34pm
Ok, thanks for y'alls experiences,,I also read some reviews on the "generics" and most were "go with the brand name",,or,, "pay the extra for brand name"
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 12:39am
i'm still going good with the B&D batteries i've picked up thru the years. all my Dewalt power tools are electric cept the new battery grease gun the old lady....oooops....i mean the loving wife bought me. i have yet to use it yet, was counting on Hutch with it! lol  i spose when the B&D batteries crap out i'll be looking for dif tools. i read somewhere where a dude changed his battery tools over to 12V and ran them off car batteries. dunno what that entales. 
GARY(OH/IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARY(OH/IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 12:56am
The 19.2 lithium aftermarket for the Craftsman wouldn't charge anymore after less than a year. Wondering if I should just by a new drill with a charger and a battery or two included. I still have two batteries to run what's left of the 5 piece set.
Hoping to make it till gift giving time when they about give that stuff away.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 5:25am
I've been using a Ryobi 18+ drill + impact units for 5-6 years, 'rotate' the batteries..one 'would not charge'. So, I tore it apart. It has 5 Li-ion cells and a PCB with computer. ONE cell was 'bad'. I 'jump started' it, reassembled pack, tossed in Ryobi charger, and it's been fine since. I do have 2 complete sets(drill/impact/charger,2 batts) in a closet here though...Homerdespot deals 99 Canucks / set.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 6:27am
Michael through the years I and others on my crew have tried the rebuild and aftermarket route. We use these hard every day. Never yet have I seen anyone satisfied with no brand or rebuilds. I just priced Dewalt 20v 5AH batteries last night. Yikes but I have to have them.
Even my nail guns are battery powered now.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 10:40am
I bought aftermarket for my B&D firestorm they have worked great but there also rated at 4 times the capacity of the originals. Last year I got Lithum batteries for them had to get new charger they are fantastic.
Ken McGregor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken McGregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 10:50am
I have Craftsman 19.2 v. tools are have repowered them with LI-ion batteries from Amazon. They are higher capacity and last forever. Also, I am told they aren't as subject to freezing as the Ni-Cad ones. You do need a different charger but the total savings (including self satisfaction) is significant

regards,
Ken McGregor

Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by Ken McGregor Ken McGregor wrote:

I have Craftsman 19.2 v. tools are have repowered them with LI-ion batteries from Amazon. They are higher capacity and last forever. Also, I am told they aren't as subject to freezing as the Ni-Cad ones. You do need a different charger but the total savings (including self satisfaction) is significant

regards,
Ken McGregor

Ken I hope you’re correct but I’m told the opposite on freezing. I’m going to look in to that.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 2:41pm
Li-ION do NOT like the cold !! the 'puter' in them has temp sensing and won't charge them in 'nonhuman' temperatures.

Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 2:48pm
Dave, I get my DeWalt 18V batteries from Batteries Plus but they are new, made by Ray-O-Vac, not rebuilt. so far  they have held better that the oem DeWalts and are about half the price.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 4:22pm
A lot of the original batteries several years back were 2.5 amp hour.. They made some small ones that were 1.5 amp and dont run too long..( i have had my 19.2 CRAFTSMAN for about 15 years)... The NEWER LITHIUM batteries come in several sizes.. I tend to get the 4 amp size and have good luck... Now , some manufacturers are pushing 5 amp batteries...I think the aftermarket quality continues to improve.

Edited by steve(ill) - 16 Sep 2020 at 4:24pm
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 7:48pm
well, I pulled the trigger on 2 6.0AH hi-output Milwaukee branded batteries from tooloutlet on ebay... I have the Milwaukee 18V 'fuel' tools..gonnna be doing some work in a remote place, i.e., no power, so maybe with these and the 5.o's that I have I can get a lot done. I also got me an adapter to use the lith-ion batteries on the older ni-cad tools,, so far, it works good

best I could get from ya'll and other reviews was to get the name brand,, lotsa more complaints than good from the aftermarket generics....
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 11:58pm
Jay...what/how do you mean you "jump started" the battery you took apart?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 5:34am
I took the case apart and saw there's a 'computer board' on top of 5 Li-ION batteries. I checked each battery and one was about 2 volts ( should be 3+). Since I can't import batteries from you knowwhwere... and local batteries are $$$$ I took the 'nothing to lose approach'. I grabbed a 3 volt 'wallwart' used to power my 'weather station' and let it charge the bad battery for 4-5 minutes. This got the battery voltage up close to 3. I then reassembeled the pack and put into the Ryobi charger. Lights flash, then it started charging. These chargers are 'smart'. They read each battery and charge as required or decide 'bad pack'. If I had access to cheap, new batteries, I'd replace them..easy to do. Far easier than the old Ni-Cad packs !
The crazy thing is you can buy a 'kit' of drill/driver/2 bats/charger from HomerDepot ,on sale, usually 1st week of December for $99. ONE battery costs $78!! So for $11, you get a second $78 battery, another drill, another driver and another charger...
I always shake my head over this.....

Edited by jaybmiller - 17 Sep 2020 at 5:38am

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 6:01am
Originally posted by Ken McGregor Ken McGregor wrote:

regards,
Ken McGregor

Same experience here. New batteries made a real tool out of the impact! Now wish the originals would have shot craps sooner.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 12:15am
that's how i got so many B&D tools Jay...one battery was $40. and could get a tool,2 bats, and charger for $39. it is kinda nice when building stuff, have a drill for each job! lol the pole saw will last along time on the battery, but the circular saw eats a charge real quik.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 2:14pm
I was looking at batteries for my Lynxx chain saw and they are $98.00 on Amazon and $59.00 at Harbor FReight.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic