This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anybody miss me,,,,??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anybody miss me,,,,??
    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 12:32pm

Well,,like so many others here,,,this site is my "GoTo" place when I get frustrated or lonely or both,,,,,WinkWink

Well,,,last thursday night ,,we had the dang'est lightening storm roll thru and made a mess of everything,,!!  It took out our 2 WEEK old Phillips Big screen TV,,plus the Internet fiber modem in one big fell swoop,,,,,,SO,,no TV and NO INTERNET,,!! On Friday,, The Internet provider managed to do a composite connection on the TV instead of the HDMI connection as the storm took out the 3 HDMI ports on TV. Picture quality is not as good as the HDMI but at least we can watch TV.
 The tech they sent out tried to tell me the PC would not work as the Router was also fried,,,?? WTH,,?? I told him the PC did not know,,nor did it care if there was a Router in the line or NOT,,,stupid, stupid sob, anyway we were without internet,,,and let me tell ya'll,,when you get used to internet,,,,,,,it awful hard to find something to take it's place,,it is,,!!
 Had another tech come out this morning and he replaced the whole fiber system ouside and after 3 hours,he finally got the internet going. I think,,,I'm gonna make it all right,,,,
 After the internet was up and runnin, I get Phillips CS on the phone and after 2 hours,,they determine the TV cannot be reset to work thru the HDMI ports,,So I got to package that big sob and take back to Walmart,,or they will send one of their techs to attempt repairs,,maybe two weeks from today,,,,,I'm fixin to take back to walmart and get me a new one,,,,,,Clap

Whoops,,plumb forgot,,,what do ya'll use for lightening protection of TV's and Computors,,???
 Dang,,it good to be back,,!!

Edited by desertjoe - 03 Aug 2020 at 12:34pm
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 1:18pm
least YOU got sumpdin to do...
since I sold next door I've been twiddlin my thumbs,some times clockwise, then counterclockwise to break up the time....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 1:32pm
I use one of these plugs with half dozen outlet on them that give you protection for power surge.
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 3:51pm
our REA put a lightning arrestor at the meter, plus we use surge protecters in the house,,, thing is,, lightning does weird and crazy things,, and none of these are 100% against lightning strikes.  I have heard of appliances going bad after a length of time after a lightning strike, and when checked out the tech will ask "when did ya get hit by lightning?"
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 5:59pm
I have been hit a couple of times hard by lightning. I finally added two more ground rods which drove the power company crazy ( they said I couldn’t have a better ground than the line coming in the farm, but it checked ok) and my electrician added two surge protectors for each panel box. I like to joke my surge protectors have surge protectors. And then any electronics inside the house get plugged into power strips with surge protectors and when I buy them I buy the most expensive ones I can find I have had the cheap ones fail. And after all that we have been hit again but the damage wasn’t nearly as bad, usually it will fry the circuit boards in the garage door openers.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 10:42pm
When God gives you 'the finger', there's really only ONE thing that provides any 'protection'... being in good graces with God, and the world.

Having worked in HV power transmission, and on broadcast transmitters, electric passenger trains, and my current occupation, it is quite clear that the magnitude of force involved in a lightning strike is several thousand orders-of-magnitude greater than any protective device can provide.  I've got friends who are still in broadcast, public service, and utility industries, and they all agree:  A prayer is about the best you can get.

When there's an electrical storm, I disconnect all my HAM radio equipment.  I've had strikes that killed equipment that was disconnected... just that much of a ground current rise.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 10:45pm
Whew......I was afraid you took a blowtorch to that trailer axle you were workin and maybe it all fell apart and landed on you!

Good luck with Walmart and the TV......none of these Retailers are overly anxious to hand money back on the electronics
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 11:12pm
Oh, you were gone?  LOL

Good you are back, good luck with the tv return.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 11:48pm
welcome back buddy...i missed you! we use them surge protectors too, gits the biggest ones you can find...some even guarantee replacement of your stuff if it don't work. hope you gots sum work done on stuff?
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 11:48pm
just think...it could have been snow!
Greg (Hillsboro, OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg (Hillsboro, OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 7:22am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

just think...it could have been snow!

It's WAY too early in the season for Shameless to be getting these thoughts in his mind.   Nothing good can come of this!!!!!

DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 1:44pm
After a power failure took out the electronic controls of a new oven I installed a whole house surge protector on the main electrical panel to protect those appliances that cannot be directly plugged into a separate surge protector. Almost every appliance now has sensitive electronics so the whole house surge protector also eliminates the need to have numerous surge protectors everywhere. 
Jack of all trades, master of none
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic