This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New tractor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New tractor
    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 2:04pm
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum and pretty much new to the Allis Chalmers world, having grown up on a MF environment and worked on several JD farms.
I just bought a 1981 AC 6080 with fwd, cab and front loader, and I'm pretty excited to learn more about this machine. I'd welcome any suggestions you have for maintenance and operation of the tractor, and any leads on where to find parts in Western Canada.
I'm aware these tractors had a potential issue witht the thrust bearing and I'll be checking on that ASAP, and I plan on replacing all fluids before putting it to work in the fields, other than that, it seems to be a well built machine.
Thanks

Sponsored Links

Dan Hauter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Hauter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 2:51pm
Welcome to the Forum and congratulations on becoming an A-C owner!  I don't have a 6080 so I'll defer to the more knowledgeable members.  You've come to the right place for advice.  Some people who know what they're talking about will be along soon to answer your questions.  Have you heard of Old Allis News?  It's a magazine, published quarterly, and dedicated to those of us who have orange blood in our veins.  www.oldallisnews@amerytel.net.  Lots of advertisers in Old Allis News and information on where to go for parts.   The advertisers on the Forum are also a valuable source of information.   Good luck with your new purchase!  Dan.
flo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 9:04pm
Hi Dan, thanks for your reply and the info.
I'll make sure to check out Old Allis News, it looks like the ''orange'' tractors have quite the following.
So far, the only issue I have identified on the tractor is the a/c not working.
I am not sure whether the thrust bearing was ever replaced, but I looked at the serial number and it is 7413, with would indicate 1985 or newer if I'm not mistaken. Also there is a KHD enblem on the front grille. Does anyone have any input on that (serial number break after which the thrust bearing issue was fixed form the factory and not as a recall)?
Thanks
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 9:09pm
Hope it has front thrust bearing. If it don't, put one on it and keep it adjusted to .006. Every time you change oil, check clearance , adjust and grease. 
Always operate with big lever on right forward, unless using PTO.           MACk
Orangeisgreat190 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orangeisgreat190 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 9:15pm
Excellent tractors.  I have ran a 6080 and personally they are my favorite tractor.  Maybe Billoh will be along to tell you more.  He does most of his farming with one he bought brand new in 1983.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 9:38pm
Welcome to the forum and you bought a good series tractor. We have a 6060, the 6080 is intercooled and has a 3 range transmission versus the 2 range in the 6060. Same engine and a lot of similarities between the 2. Make sure you understand the operation of the pto, the pto disconnect lever. Good to see in your picture that the disconnect lever is in the forward position as it should be when the pto is not in use. The thrust bearing issue came about because too many folks were operating this lever incorrectly. When that lever is pulled back in the disconnect position it puts a lot of pressure on the thrust bearing in the front of the engine. It’s not an issue if it is used properly. The whole purpose of that lever by pulling it back is to temporarily disconnect the pto to say go from one windrow of hay to another that may be 100 feet away without having to keep running the baler. As you approach the windrow you slowly re engage the lever forward to start the pto again. If there is one gripe about these tractors it is the pto engagement. Bring the tractor to idle, pull back the pto disconnect lever at which point the yellow light will appear on your dash, reach to your left and pull up on the pto knob. Expect to hear some grinding, pull up firmly. Slowly release the disconnect lever and your pto will become active. The point is, when the pto is not in use, always put the pto disconnect in the forward position. It was designed for only temporary disconnect of the pto and should never be left in the rearward/disconnect position. They are a really good tractor, powerful 4 cylinder turbo engine. Ours is a 1981, has only needed a fuel pump rebuild about 10 years ago. Very fuel efficient and has been extremely reliable.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 9:42pm
Forgot to say Nice looking tractor, cab, fwd and loader are 3 nice options. Hope it does well for you.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 9:48pm
MACK are the thrust bearing support still available? Would like to get one for our 6060 but was told they were no longer available. Dad bought it new in 1981 and the dealer never told us a kit was available later on.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 9:49pm
Welcome to the forum. Good luck with new tractor
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 10:07pm
If not new, I would check with salvage yards.         MACK
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 10:25pm
Welcome and congrats on buying a fine tractor from a fellow Canuck  The best way to learn about your new tractor is to buy an operator's manual.  They can be found cheap on ebay and contain pretty much everything you want to know about the tractor - how, what and when to service, what fluids to use etc.  The best investment to keep your tractor going for years to come.

I too have a 1985 6080 like yours - without the loader and 4wd.  Mine is Serial #7112 so I can help address a couple of your concerns:  Deutz bought out AC in March 1985.  I found out that mine was built in mid June of that year.  It too had the KHD emblem on the front with Deutz Allis stickers placed over the originals.  Fortunately the previous owners removed the DA stickers before I bought it.  I found out that the KHD emblem on the front was glued right over top of the AC emblem.  Some people have successfully removed it and saved the AC emblem - I just bought a new one.  So it was sold as a Deutz Allis although it was (and still is) a bona fide AC.

Secondly, mine does not have the thrust bearing on the front of the engine either.  I recall reading somewhere that later production tractors like mine and yours had a stronger block which did not require an external thrust bearing.  Mine has never had any problems - yet.  But if you lock out the PTO when not in use, you should be fine.

My air conditioning does not work either.  I traced it to a hole in the evaporator in the roof of the cab.  It turns out that they made the evaporator and heater core as 1 unit and it would be a massive pain to remove it to get it fixed.  Not a big deal for me, mine basically gets used on the snowblower in the winter - the heater works very well!

Fluids and filters can usually be found at Napa.  However, some of the other parts are best to be sourced from your local ACGO dealer.  My closest dealer is 2 hours away, but they courier stuff out pretty quick.  Vendors here are also a good source for good used parts if needed.

Look after it and it will look after you.

'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
flo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 11:08pm
Thanks for the great input on proper PTO operation you guys. Good to hear these are good tractors, like I said I don't know much about them but it looks like there are a lot of them around, only not in my area, and it seems I've come to the right place to learn!

AC720Man, I'll make sure to operate that PTO properly so that I can keep the tractor for a very long time, as it's rare to find a fwd loader tractor with a cab around here, let alone one that has such good looks at the 6000 series A-C. I'll leave the other farmers around to their JD, haha.

flo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 11:24pm
DSeries4, that's a fine snowblower you've got there, nust get the job done in no time Your tractor is mint, looks like it just got out of the factory! Did you get it like that or did you restore it to it's original glory?
Thanks for clarifying the serial number and manufacturing history for me. I think the previous owner peeled the sitckers just like on yours but left the KHD emblem on...
I'll look for a service manual and will get monkey wrenching to make sure we're off to a good start.
I took a look at the front of the engine and I don't think it has the thrust bearing support, but I'd be curious to hear more about the stronger block design you mentionned. Do you know if that is part of the modifications they made to the engine when they gave them higher compression for cold starts?
As for the A/C, I'll try to trace it down, but you and I are in the same boat climate-wise I imagine, a good working heater is way more important!
Another thing I'd like to do is replace the front tires before the winter and get some chains for the front axle. 
Cheers
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 6:02am
flo,
welcome! Great looking tractor! I know nothing about them but sure like the orange!
Looks like a real work horse!
 Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Lynn Marshall View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 7:58am
I don't believe that the block was changed as much as the thrust bearing area was increased.

Edited by Lynn Marshall - 03 Aug 2020 at 8:02am
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 8:44am
Your 6080 definitely does not have the thrust bearing kit. Shouldn’t be an issue if pto disconnect lever is used correctly.
flo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 3:21pm
Hmmm, that’s what I figured too. Hopefully the previous owners knew how to operate the PTO.
Going back to the service bulletin posted above by Lynn Marshall (thanks by the way), does the thrust bearing area increase for the models not included in the bulletin correct the potential issue or is more of a patch fix. Not that I intend on leaving the long leaver in the back position, but I didn’t get a lot of info on the history of the tractor and how it has been operated and serviced.
Thanks
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by flo flo wrote:

DSeries4, that's a fine snowblower you've got there, nust get the job done in no time Your tractor is mint, looks like it just got out of the factory! Did you get it like that or did you restore it to it's original glory?
Thanks for clarifying the serial number and manufacturing history for me. I think the previous owner peeled the sitckers just like on yours but left the KHD emblem on...
I'll look for a service manual and will get monkey wrenching to make sure we're off to a good start.
I took a look at the front of the engine and I don't think it has the thrust bearing support, but I'd be curious to hear more about the stronger block design you mentionned. Do you know if that is part of the modifications they made to the engine when they gave them higher compression for cold starts?
As for the A/C, I'll try to trace it down, but you and I are in the same boat climate-wise I imagine, a good working heater is way more important!
Another thing I'd like to do is replace the front tires before the winter and get some chains for the front axle. 
Cheers

Thanks for the kind words.  Dad bought that snowblower 20 years ago, new old stock so he got it cheap.  For a 7' single auger, it's pretty heavy - made the front end of the tractor pretty light until I added some front weights a couple of years ago.
The tractor is sort of original and sort of restored!  I repainted the cab and the wheels when i bought it 13 years ago.  The frame and side sheets have original paint, I just waxed the sheets real good and it made a decent shine.  It only has 4700 hours on it.  Still trying to finish off the new interior I put in it a few years ago!

As it arrived in the yard...

'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 9:13pm
I would still put front bearing on if I could find one. Have saw too many fail with wide thrust bearing and front bearing when operator didn't keep front bearing adjusted.          MACK
flo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 3:53pm
Dseries4, nice machine! It's amazing how good these tractors look with some fresh paint, and some polish. The original looks are very nice to begin with. I'd like to recoat mine too, especially the rear rims which are showing a few speckles of rust.

Mack, thanks for the advice on the bearing, just to be clear, that would be installing a supporting bearing assembly in front of the pulley? I'll try to find a service manual to learn more about keeping the original thrust bearing adjusted properly. 
Thanks

AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 8:05pm
If there's no oil leakage from the front seal that is a good sign that it was used properly. 6000 series are good tractors if cared for.
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
flo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 12:32am
AllisFreak MN, thanks for the tip, I'll check that tomorrow!

Edited by flo - 05 Aug 2020 at 12:33am
flo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 12:17am
Hi everyone,
sorry for bumping this old thread, but I'm learning quite a bit about my tractor as I work with it. As the winter approaches, I'm considering buying a pto driven snowblower. However, the unit I'm looking at (Inland da-92) requires 2 hydraulic valves (to operate chute), and because the loader on my tractor is hooked up on the rear valves, I would need to either give up on using the loader when moving snow (not really an option) or install 2 additional hydraulic valves. How would one go about installing two remotes on a 6080? Sorry if I'm asking this but I've never really done this kind of upgrades, or worked much on the hydraulics of a tractor before.
Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 4:36am
Originally posted by flo flo wrote:

Hi everyone,
sorry for bumping this old thread, but I'm learning quite a bit about my tractor as I work with it. As the winter approaches, I'm considering buying a pto driven snowblower. However, the unit I'm looking at (Inland da-92) requires 2 hydraulic valves (to operate chute), and because the loader on my tractor is hooked up on the rear valves, I would need to either give up on using the loader when moving snow (not really an option) or install 2 additional hydraulic valves. How would one go about installing two remotes on a 6080? Sorry if I'm asking this but I've never really done this kind of upgrades, or worked much on the hydraulics of a tractor before.
Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

There are electric solenoid hydraulic valve splitters that can accomplish this, relatively cheaply...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic