This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Weeds around pond

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weeds around pond
    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 8:05pm
Is there a pond friendly herbicide which you can kill grass/weeds on bank waterline that is safe for fish? Weed eater getting old. Where to buy? TIA
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 8:11pm
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 9:21pm
just another name for Generic ROUNDUP.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 10:10pm
Rodeo is aquatic certified, last I checked Roundup isn't. Granted they are both glyphosate, but don't get caught using the wrong one.
I have both my private and commercial applicators licenses. Before I transferred Dept's, I used to apply Rodeo as part of my job.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by truckerfarmer truckerfarmer wrote:

Rodeo is aquatic certified, last I checked Roundup isn't. Granted they are both glyphosate, but don't get caught using the wrong one.
I have both my private and commercial applicators licenses. Before I transferred Dept's, I used to apply Rodeo as part of my job.

So, this isn't your first rodeo! sorry, I couldn't help myself. it was just too easy
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 10:23pm
   Good one Lou.

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 10:23pm
I was trying to read the label info but kept going in circles....so with Rodeo I should be able to kill the grass/weeds at the water line with out causing undue damage to fish? The last foot and change is close as I care to get with the mower. Grand kids fish it and we keep it mowed up like a resort but that edge is annoying.
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 11:51pm
Check out Jones Fish, they have great literature to help you out. Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 7:31am
Sickle bar mower.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 9:13am
Ben using round up to do that job for years, but keep it away from the water.  Wink

Edited by Dave H - 07 Jun 2023 at 9:14am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 9:43am
other than Rodeo being 25% stronger, i dont see any difference ??? ... but im sure it cost twice as much.

RODEO--

ROUNDUP--

Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 4:57pm
Wink Government official speak:  it is the same, Confused BUT DIFFERENT. The difference is one company payed to do more testing than the other. After testing nothing bad happened to the fish. But by the "legalize" of a label you cannot spray the untested brand legally to near water or fish. As you can only use a pesticide the way the label reads.

Another example is dicamba, label us to say you could spray pasture and leave the cattle in the field. In the last few years some say remove the beef cattle 7 days and lactating dairy cows 30 days. Same product but for more legal protection for manufacturer they changed the label.

Lord have mercy on you if you tick off a eco freak and they can prove you did not do what the label on the product you used said to do. In the state I live in the county agricultural commissioner can have your crop destroyed and send you the bill for tilling it under. Even in crazy vill I have not heard of it being done but a time or 2. 

The one I remember is a watermelon crop and it was spray with a product legal to use on other fresh vegetables and melons. But was not labelled for watermelons. For what ever reason people got sick from eating these melons. With testing the product was found on the melons. The grower was bankrupt by the time it was over. In this case there was a reason watermelons where not on the label. What was assumed would not hurt anything in this case did.  Most if not all of us that use pesticides have not followed the label to the letter of the law and got away with it. But that 1 in a billion chance is out there and can get you.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

other than Rodeo being 25% stronger, i dont see any difference ??? ... but im sure it cost twice as much.

RODEO--

ROUNDUP--

I suspect that rodeo uses a different isomer of the same chemical, glyphosate.

Better watch out, if you use roundup, 3 shysters in a room with a fax machine, calling themselves the world health organization, will drum up fish for clients, and sue you into the poorhouse...Wink

On edit, when I asked google, what is the difference between rodeo and roundup herbicides?  Here is google's answer:

Roundup contains the surfactant whereas Rodeo needs to have the surfactant added in a second step. ... Rodeo = Roundup, except for the surfactant in the Roundup. The Rodeo must be combined with a surfactant if sprayed onto leaves so the herbicide will transfer into the plant.WinkWink

Edited by DiyDave - 01 Aug 2020 at 5:28pm
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 6:20pm
I looked it up and the prices are somewhat comparable.. I was suprised. You can get a 2.5 gallon jug of RODEO or ROUNDUP for about $65. if you look around.. There are GENERIC ROUNDUP jugs at some places for $40. ..... but you have to look around.
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 7:47pm

Can always just go to a local coop/chemical dealer or a farmer and get some 4# glyphosate for about $10 a gal or some 6# for about $14.You need no pesticide license to buy Round up it's completely useless and harmless when it hits either ground or water.

All herbicides are labeled to spray up to waters edge. Wink
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 10:44pm
I suggest you go read the label again.
Roundup contains a surfactant that is not legal for use around bodies of water.

Edited by truckerfarmer - 01 Aug 2020 at 10:47pm

Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 11:17pm
3.2 Environmental Hazards
Do not apply directly to water, to areas where surface water is present or tointertidal areas below the mean high water mark. Do not contaminate water whencleaning equipment or disposing of equipment washwaters.

Sensitive Areas
The product should only be applied when the potential for drift to adjacentsensitiveareas (e.g., residential areas, bodies of water, known habitat for threatened orendangered species, non-target crops) is minimal (e.g., when wind is blowingaway from the sensitive areas).Avoid direct application to any body of water.

Here's the best I can do but if you can point to where it can't be sprayed "around bodies of water" I will stand corrected. Maybe you didn't understand that I said up to the water?

Roundup is legal to spray around bodies of water just not in the water or where a tide rises too.

Edited by Kansas99 - 01 Aug 2020 at 11:19pm
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 8:16am
Those are what I was referring to, dealing with drift potential and high water mark.
In my Commercial Applicators License recertification classes they mention 50' buffer zones. Some of this might carry of from my different certifications. Non-cropland (parks,trails,, sports field, ect..), right of ways (road ditches, shoulders, medians, ect...)

Seeing as the cost isn't much different, I would recommend using the a chemical that is labeled for. Around hear you can buy it off the shelf.

I would NEVER tell someone to go off label. Doing so could bite you in the rear someday. That is what caused the problems with Dicamba. We have an effective form of weed control, but a few people decided they could get by with doing off label applications, and ruined it for the rest of us.

Edited by truckerfarmer - 02 Aug 2020 at 8:21am

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 8:36am
legal ..shhmegal....

I bet  99% of what's 'on the label' is to protect the MFRs azzez......
First 12-20 pages of any new tractor is 'liablilty warnings' these dayze....

Up here I can't buy 24D, yet EVERY golfcourse can...and overuse it...
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Gary in da UP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 5:48pm
I'd use a propane torch and burn the weeds.
Ron(AB) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron(AB) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 7:47pm
Ashes work for some weeds.

So does charcoal...very safe!
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 10:04pm
Careful killing bank plants. If heavy winds could white-cap waves on your pond high enough that they may erode its banks, then you might wish that you’d just sickle mowed it instead?
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 4:31pm
I don't have a bar mower or a batwing....was teasing the wife she should get one of those propane burners to kill her weeds around the home instead of constantly spraying...could kill 2 birds....
Stephen12 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephen12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 1:22am
Hello, I also want to maintain my lawn, but I have an issue with excessive weed growth. Have you found the right product or method for your lawn? If so, could you please share it with me? I've been considering using weed-killers, but I'm a bit concerned about potential damage to my lawn, which is making me hesitant. I would prefer to use natural remedies instead of manually removing the weeds, as it can be quite time-consuming. If you have any suggestions or natural methods to recommend, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance for your valuable help!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 5:57am
probable SPAM ????
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 6:03am
I don't mow around any waterways but have a friend that does on his property. I have ditches in front of my shop property that is on a state highway which I mow. The state will mow three times per year, (folding batwing) but they don't pick up any of the accumulated trash people throw out and such and I kinda like my place to look presentable. There are three driveways with culverts too. I use this weed killer product picked up at a local farm supply store: https://www.ruralking.com/catalog/product/view/id/40835 which works very well in my application. Good residual control also. This is sprayed around the culverts, alongside the shop building, and concrete approaches. No trimming at all anymore.

I split the cost with a friend for an old sickle bar mower that is hydraulic folding. I did some welding repair and had the hydraulic cylinder rebuilt and line bored/bushed the pivot joints. It's as tight as new and works very well. I want to say it is eight feet cut length and no safety equipment so it works very well in it's application. I don't have to mow with the tractor leaning at a near 45 degree angle is where I'm going with this. The friend mows right down to the waterline of his pond staying on dry ground as the reach is long enough. 
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 6:47am
  I also use a Sickle Bar mower.
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 7:21pm
that stuff from Rural King is Generic Roundup... same stuff... works good if your trying to kill EVERYTHING.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 8:00pm
Yes, exactly. It also has another chemical in it that kind of sterilizes the soil for a while also. Where I spray the product I don't want things growing back and the application is very good with my tractor mounted sprayer.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic