This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Leg cramp stuff

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leg cramp stuff
    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 6:17am
What is that stuff called. I had the worst leg cramps I’ve had yet last night. Rough night for sure.
Sponsored Links

Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 6:33am
Theraworx Relief.    

I also take a tablespoon of vinegar and some Pedialyte.  

tomNE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 7:09am
I use powerade; I ran experiments on every over the counter drug and home remedies!  give up diet pop and i used pwerade zero.    my results, not saying yours will be the same!

AC from the start of my families farming career till the end!
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 7:20am
Thad,
 Drink lots of water and I use these. Over the counter $9.00 ish per bottle! Take 1 or two and within 10 minutes the cramps are gone for me. Walmart should have them.
 Hope that helps.
 Regards,
Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 30 Jul 2020 at 7:21am
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Harvey/pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harvey/pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 7:43am
Thad,
   used to get bad leg cramps several nites per week. Tried  lots of home remedies with no luck then went to a new Dr. She said one of my daily meds caused the cramps and put me on something else. that was maybe 5 years ago and instead of 3 or 4 times a week its now 3 or 4 times a year! I thought I would never forget the name of that drug but I have (among other things) and I could never spell it anyhow. Sorry that's not much help, but maybe something to look into. Wife used to bend my toes backward to relive the cramps and it worked but that was before she & the dog kicked me out of the bedroom. Good Luck...Harvey   
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 8:57am

Hey  Thad,,gosh but I do feel for you as I get them dang leg cramps too ,,altho not nearly as much as I used to,,!!  I been wishin I could remember who on here that led me onto that same Hyland's Leg Cramps that Chris posted on so I can thank them,!!. They are available at Walmart and it's a little bitty bottle,,but BIG on Power to stop them leg cramps. Most times,,I can actually "feel" one of them cramps coming while still asleep and I'll get outa bed quick as I can and I keep the little bottle close to the bed and one pill will do it just fine.. Says you can take 1-2 pills per episode,,Clap get you some,,!!
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 11:26am
My wife has very severe leg cramps and the pills pictured(Hyland brand) are the only thing she tried that help her. I did post that brand some time ago,so you can give me pat on the back if you need to. Wink 

I had some bad leg cramps for a time and I would take a potassium pill. But the insurance company in their wisdom changed my blood pressure medicine,Wink but that did almost stop my leg cramps. And the "cheaper" blood pressure meds warn not to take extra potassium,so I have used the Hylands stuff very successfully when I do get one.   

As severe as my wife leg cramps  are she starts with about 6. And as fast as they work she will take more in a minute or so if she is not starting to feel better.

Edited by Ray54 - 30 Jul 2020 at 11:36am
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 12:30pm
Quinine is believed to reduce muscle cramps
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 12:41pm
well, i can't spell or pronounce any of the ingredients, so it must be GOOD !!

Hyland's leg cramps with quinine tablets and caplets

Active Ingredients:   Cinchona Officinalis (Quinine), Viscum Album ; Gnaphalium Polycephalum ; Rhus Toxicodendron ; Aconitum Napellus ; Ledum Palustre ; Magnesia Phosphorica.

Edited by steve(ill) - 30 Jul 2020 at 12:41pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 1:03pm
sometimes if you sweat a lot and don't drink enough water I get leg cramps.
mruhlig77 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mruhlig77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 1:19pm
For immediate relief...get some magnesium rub...usually squeeze bottle..add capsules to your vitamins...has to do with calcium-mag balance....Not Dr. Mark

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 1:32pm
If the leg cramps  are 'normal' ones, they're usually caused by dehydration AND electrolyte imbalance.
 You need to take both. If you only take a ton of water, that actually lowers the electroyte level ( think 'teeter-totter') and can be worse. Poor man's gatorade ( tom juice, orange juice, lemon jiuce) cures it for me. make my tummy upset BUT leg cramps go away. Also cured me of 'migraines' or 'sinus' headaches.
One easy test... if you pee is yellow you ARE dehydrated, the darker..the worse you are.
A healthy body is well, complicated, and too much heat, too much coffee, lack of water and juices can upset the balance.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 5:18pm
Building horse fence. Most holes are dug with a rock bar and hand diggers. The young guys can’t take it so the old guys have to do the digging. Drinking lots of water. Now have Powerade when I get home.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 6:04pm
Oral cram remidies are generally focused on electrolyte recovery.  Any 'marketed' remedy will have a mixture of things (proprietary, for branding purposes, right?).

Potassium first-and-foremost.  It is lost rapidly, and rather critical to promoting proper hydration.

Magnesium:  Necessary for rebuilding the sclera (coating which protects/lubricates the outer sheath of nerves)... and this is because dehydration frequently will cause the sclera to wear back as your body moves.

Plenty of good water, and a balanced diet will do MOST of it, but tossing down some potassium and a little magnesium will help substantially.

Oh, and by those names, they're NOT expensive...
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 7:33pm
Dill pickles and or mustard will stop them. HTH Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 11:08pm
My wife has very severe leg cramps and the pills pictured(Hyland brand) are the only thing she tried that help her. I did post that brand some time ago,so you can give me pat on the back if you need to. Wink 

Well,,Ray,,,,the younger I get,,,the more I remember,,,,Wink I KNEW it was somebody here that led me to using the "Leg Cramps" ,,so I wanna THANK YOU,,!!  Then little pills been a blessing to my cramps.
 What Jay says makes a lot of sense,,,Since I am very active through out the day, I do sweat an awful lot and I drink prolly 6-10,  32 oz cups of ice water on any given day,,so I'm prolly thinning down my potassium levels ptretty good,,,,
 Gosh,,Ray,,,your wife takes 6 of them Hylands pills ata time,,,,??  Whew,,!!,,,I bet she's ,,,,never mind,,,WinkWink whatever works ,,,,Clap
 Hey Thad,,,you gots you a bottle of them Hylands by your bed, yet,,,?? Clap
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 4:25am
Not yet Joe. I did drink Powerade the past two nights. My legs are still sore from the cramps 2 nights ago.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 7:46pm
Always stretch cramped muscles frequently... cramping causes a buildup of lactic acid... stretching the muscles will help circulation through, and force the bad stuff out, push the electrolytes back in.

Aside note to anyone who happens to either have very young children, or hasn't had any yet... -  it took my wife a long time to accept this, but when my children were babies, they got leg cramps all the time, and they cried... and I'd go in during the middle of the night, and stretch their muscles, knead them... after a few minutes, they'd sleep the rest of the night... ;-)
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 9:43am

Well,,at exactly 3:23 Am this mornin,,I had me one of them Wooly Buggers on the inner part of my right leg,,,and, dang, dang did it hurt,!! Luckly,  I keep a bottle of the Hylands leg cramps by my bed,,! I had to hobble around for bout 30 minutes fir it to finally go down.. Dang,,but I hate these sobs,,!!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 12:53pm
Been drinking Powerade zero and having good luck for the most part. Some of our work has been in the shade as well.
Now dealing with serious plantar facitis.
Long days at work and siding our house weekends.
Need a rain day.👍
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 1:59pm
I remember before  my Father passed away, he used to get leg cramps quite often. The Doc told me, if you happen to be there when he gets a cramp, grab his toes and pull the foot back towards him. That stretches the muscle and the cramp isn't so severe. I've done that a couple times for him and its helped him immensely. Now I get em' every once in a while. Just had one in bed the other night bout' 2am in the morning. I felt that SOB and it woke me right outta' a sound sleep. I grabbed ma' toes and pulled back! Man, that SOB hurt, but it backed off pretty quick. Still sore a few days later but it backed off quite a bit.  Thanks Dad!  Now I got em!!    LOL!
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 9:50pm

Well,,Steve,,I'm kinda like ole Shameless in that I have trouble even reachin my toes,,,let alone bein able to pull on em,,,,,LOLLOL
 THat's what is weird,,I can always feel one comin on right before they get nasty and I'll get up right quick and grab the bottle Of Nylands Leg Cramps and swallow one and start walkin it off,,,  I've tried to work one out with my Big massager,,but walking em off is lots faster. Clap
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 5:45am
A couple nights ago I got them again. I guess I woke Jennifer in the process.
She told me to tip my feet up towards me. I guess she knows I can’t reach my toes. But in a short time it did give some relief . Had so many lately the inside of my thighs hurt from them.
Been drinking Powerade after work each day and Jen started buying bananas again.
We’ve got cooler drier weather for a few days. I think that will help.
Got a bad case of plantar faciatis going on also.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 8:20am
when I feel them coming on, I try to get otta bed fast(yeah..that's fun... then lean against the dresser and get on my tippy toes,go slowly up down....bought 2-5 minutes and it 'relaxes' the muscle. I then go ,slowly, down the stairs, drink 2 glasses of water or juice, then slowly, back up the stairs to bed.......if I time it right I don't have to get up again....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic