This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crop Duster Plane ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crop Duster Plane ??
    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 8:59pm
There was a crop duster applying "something" this morning within 1000 yards of the job site (a tree line blocked the view of the crop/field) and a city slicker co-worker asked if ALL dusting planes were yellow Confused. I told him yes, but couldn't tell him why Embarrassed. Would one of you elaborate please ? Thanks
Sponsored Links

darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 9:23pm
They are not all yellow. Local crop duster has a fleet of white ones. Darrel
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 9:27pm
Gotcha. "Here", they're all yellow
TDF View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TDF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 10:18pm
Not all yellow in Nebraska either.

TDF
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 11:14pm
Local one working around here this week is red fuselage and yellow wings.  Busy this year as most fields are too wet to use conventional spray equipment.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 11:22pm
there are yellow ones, red ones, and white ones, and blue ones, and green ones around here, most are getting away from planes and using helicopters around here now. trucks follow them from field to field, have nurse tanks and all the stuff to  and pump into the copter tanks, the coper lands on top of the truck ona platform over the cab.  oh...and the copters are all different colors too.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 6:48am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

there are yellow ones, red ones, and white ones, and blue ones, and green ones around here, most are getting away from planes and using helicopters around here now. trucks follow them from field to field, have nurse tanks and all the stuff to  and pump into the copter tanks, the coper lands on top of the truck ona platform over the cab.  oh...and the copters are all different colors too.

I see a few choppers spraying around here, but mostly along the railroad tracks. Local crop duster looked at getting into the chopper scene, but said that he'd have to get something like 50 bucks an acre to make it work. Darrel
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 6:55am
Even well worn Mil Surplus Bells or Hueys are EXPENSIVE to buy, then a major money expense to maintain, then also have to have Wopty Chopter license to fly them, are a REAL handful.

Have a limited few Dusters here, mostly North as field lays are more flat and tend to be more muddy where long low passes are quite the norm.  They are every color here too.  IIRC the guys north stated the Choppers tanks are considerable Smaller against fixed wing aircraft where added booms in lieu of running tubes along wings is a bit of an exercise.   In another regard fixed wing builders are thinning rather drastically as market is drying up specialty aircraft not so much in demand and do not turn over very fast, choppers are being built seemingly everywhere.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 7:14am
Wow.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 11:48am
The jerk that sprays here has a yellow one and a blue one. The guy that farms north a mile has his own bi-plane that he does spraying with ----it's kinda neat to watch---flies so slow it just hangs in the air like a chopper. ---A couple years ago the chopper guy south of us hit a powerline while turning at field end and flopped over on its top killing him while his wife watched from the truck---ya these things are deadly!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 12:15pm
People ask me why I won't fly a spray plane...I tell them, if the crash doesn't kill me, the chemicals will.
My hat is off to my friends flying sprayers.  Fun but hard work.
I love to watch them do their thing.  Good entertainment.  Best free airshow.
acd17toy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acd17toy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 6:33pm

I some times think that some of those crop duster pilots have a death wish the way they fly.
Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 6:44pm
Those pilots are some of the best pilots in the world.  You try staying on the right row at 95 knots, plus or minus nothing, at 3 feet over the crop, plus or minus nothing.  There is no auto steer in the cockpit either.  They are real pros 
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 8:27pm
Wouldn't want to fly one of those either. Those pilots have to be GOOD and on top of their game every second and they would have to be even more crazy than I am. And power lines don't go well with fixed wing or rotary wing. Hopefully if someone spends the $$$$$ for a military surplus Huey it will still have the wire strike protection system on it.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 8:59pm
When I was a kid in the mid 70's there was a crop duster hired full time by the nearby large potato growing outfit. My brother worked field maintenance for that outfit and they had a fleet of about 8-10 newer International tractors all within a few years of each other, mostly 1466's and a couple 1566's, all with cabs. Potato farms like to keep a narrow strip of bare soil around their fields, I assume for insect and weed control, and all potato fields around here have center pivot irrigators because the soil is so sandy and can't hold moisture. The potatoes were sprayed with fungicide about every 5 days so the duster kept busy with the 3500 acres he had to spray. Sorry for rambling, but anyway, there was an employee out working the edge of one of those fields on a nice summer day and that field was being sprayed at the time. it wasn't unusual for the duster to have potato vines hanging from the landing gear with this particular pilot because he was fearless and would often get a little close to the ground. It was an old Stearman Biplane and was as tough as they get and perfect for carrying heavy loads of chemical. They would have to lift over the center pivot (which run non-stop all summer) and then drop back down and keep spraying, and then lift for the power lines or trees at the end of the field. The tractor operator stepped out of the cab to take a leak and saw the duster clear the irrigator but thought the plane sounded funny as he was peeing. Then he realized the plane wasn't lifting in time for the power lines and was coming right at him, he dove and laid flat on the ground as the plane clipped the folded up wing on his field cultivator and slammed in to the cab of his 2 year old 1466 and proceeded to flip over and land on its top. The propeller slice through the roof of the cab and would have killed the tractor operator if he would have been in the seat. The pilot walked away and was back in another cockpit a few days later. Unfortunately he crashed again a few years later and was killed. True story.
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 7:55am
That'd been quite the thing to live through for that farmer. Peeing saved his life!!! Wow....probably needed some clean underwear after that.

EXTREMELY rare to see a crop duster up here. I guess, small-ish fields, often surrounded by trees on 2 or 3 sides. About 8 years ago, extremely wet spring, the huge corporate farm here hired some fertilizer to be applied by air. The farm surrounds the school campus, daughter was playing softball, and he was working on the fields around there. Pretty neat to watch!
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 8:26am
I think it was Arthur Godfrey that uses to say " there's old pilots and there's bold pilots but there's not a lot of old bold pilots "
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 4:57am
Guy flying the field across the road last evening had GPS cause he made his first pass on the edge then came back through the middle then worked his way across the field with the same pattern....no paper marker...made his turns a little less tight. Thought he was going under the power lines but just cleared them on the lift.
weiner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 5:39pm
Arthur Godfrey got fined for flying a DC-3 over New York City back in the early 50s.  Why do people remember stuff like this,  but can`t remember their name?
Real heros wear dogtags, not capes.
mhankins View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhankins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 9:14pm
There are white ones,yellow ones and blue ones around here.
 There have been a few crashes around here but so far have not heard about any fatalities.
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 10:08pm
Generally the yellow ones are Air Tractor brand. Different companies paint their brand their own colors. Similar to the different tractor companies.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

Guy flying the field across the road last evening had GPS cause he made his first pass on the edge then came back through the middle then worked his way across the field with the same pattern....no paper marker...made his turns a little less tight. Thought he was going under the power lines but just cleared them on the lift.

Yep they been using GPS for years, my brother farms and runs a spray plane business.  He has a red and white Cessna.  Around here the yellow ones are Air Tractors they I believe are all turbo props and carry a big load of water but suck down a lot of fuel.  Air tractors are also sold to the military but the water tank hole is full of ammo and one hell of some sort of gatlin gun.  If you got a tree or deer problem or both, no worries they will take care of it.  Military uses in Central America and South for gorillas and drug cartels and such.
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 4:52am
Originally posted by truckerfarmer truckerfarmer wrote:

Generally the yellow ones are Air Tractor brand. Different companies paint their brand their own colors. Similar to the different tractor companies.
Thanks truckerfarmer, that makes sense, I thought maybe the "yellow" denoted ag use Embarrassed.

Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 5:19am
When I was quite young I worked on a very large ranch in CO. The owner hired a crop duster to take me up in a 2 seater to look for cattle lost in a blizzard for insurance purposes. I’ve never been so sick in my life. We’d be 4 foot off the ground hop over a power line and drop right back down. He said to chew gum. It didn’t help. It was worse than my wife and I on a little sail boat watching whales in Hawaii. I won’t do either again.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 6:19pm
Anybody flying these stupid things dumping chemicals down on us should be jailed!---they are idiots with no respect for life in general.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by ac fleet ac fleet wrote:

Anybody flying these stupid things dumping chemicals down on us should be jailed!---they are idiots with no respect for life in general.
WOW !! I did NOT see this type of reply coming OuchOuch ?? !! There's been "dusters" flying in this neighborhood for 45 years that I can recall, never heard of personal/property damage from them Ouch. Property damage due to the local "for hire" Co-Ops/ seed/fertilizer/herbicide joints are a different story Cry
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

Originally posted by ac fleet ac fleet wrote:

WOW !! I did NOT see this type of reply coming OuchOuch ?? !! There's been "dusters" flying in this neighborhood for 45 years that I can recall, never heard of personal/property damage from them Ouch. Property damage due to the local "for hire" Co-Ops/ seed/fertilizer/herbicide joints are a different story Cry

Holy smokes!  I was under the impression that they sprayed crops and fallow land didn't know they targeted people. Wink
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 6:57am
Acfleet has probably had a bad experience, with a careless cowboy that did or does things recklessly. His opinion is as good as anyone’s. If you didn’t see that type of reply coming when it comes to spraying.....you didn’t look very hard
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 8:41am
Have heard those same horror stories of Over spray and destruction from Ground Applications not so much Crop dusting as well, Not ever seen People or Homes sprayed from a Crop Duster not even when close to the fields when lived KS, UT and OK as well Here.

Freedude must be one of those 'Guaranteed Organic' Growers that cannot justify pricing due to low yields.

Edited by DMiller - 02 Aug 2020 at 8:43am
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 12:08pm
Ground sprayers are by law requires to have boom height of 4 feet ---these idiot planes are 50 feet or more above the crop and the chit drifts for miles! ---As I write this ---our local dip is over my house again----I cant work outside for 3 days again because of the drift.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic