This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Three children killed in tractor accident

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Three children killed in tractor accident
    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 7:04am
Sponsored Links

Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 10:00am
Unfortunately, you can't fix "Stupid"!!  Too bad some young innocents had to die, and others be injured. 
BillinAlberta View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillinAlberta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 3:03pm
Tragic
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 7:51pm
"Alcohol may have been a factor" ...
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Bob D. (La) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob D. (La) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 5:31am
Senseless tragedy. Some people lack even a modicum of common sense.
When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 7:30am
It's no trip bucket so someone had to roll the bucket. Sorry the children had to pay for stupidity of adults.
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 8:04am
Mennonite in mid 30's bought the neighboring farm near my brother about 10 years ago, up a very steep road about a mile away. My brother tried to help him out when possible but was bothered by the fact that this guy drove his skid steer everywhere, including down the steep paved road always with his 3 kids in the bucket.
When the day came, my brother said he finally had to sit him down and have a talk about safety and common sense.
Struggled to get his point across about farm safety and finally had to tell the fella that he was not allowed to pull into his driveway if the kids were in that skid steer bucket.
Guy still did it all over his place but never again showed up at my bros place with kids riding in the bucket on that skid steer.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 9:42am
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

It's no trip bucket so someone had to roll the bucket. Sorry the children had to pay for stupidity of adults.

either that or he hit a hole or object at speed, and launched them by the whipping of the whole boom/bucket
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 8:45am
Originally posted by LouSWPA LouSWPA wrote:

Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

either that or he hit a hole or object at speed, and launched them by the whipping of the whole boom/bucket

I would “hope” your explanation is the correct one.   What came to my mind was somebody screwing around, thinking it would be funny to yell HANG ON as they try to dump them, alcohol fueled idiot prank....
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 9:11am
Just too sad. Not ever had anyone ride in my own tractor bucket, never an inclination to do that.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 10:17am
I have ridden, and have had people ride, a few times in certain circumstances. Low and slow in a field and certainly no alcohol involved.
WD in Australia View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WD in Australia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 7:22pm
Very tragic, young innocent children taken by stupidity of adults who were meant to look after them!!
A similar incident happend here locally on a farm with a grandfather driving his grandson across a paddock in tractor bucket after doing some work. They hit a bump and his grandson got ejected and went under the tyre and was killed. He will have to live with this for the rest of his life.
When a tractor hits a bump the bucket moves up & down further as it sits forward of the axle like a cantilever. Hence you should never put people on a front end loader whilst driving, it s just not worth the risk.
WD(NF), WD45(WF), WD45D(WF), XT190D(WF), Model U, Gleaner C, All Crop 60, Rotobaler
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 11:37pm
that does suck bad! i'm sure the driver is in pain (mentally) too. i often think on how i'm still alive after some of the stupid chit i've done on farm equipment thru the years...and i'm sure that most of ya'll have done the same. i was in a bucket trimming trees along the fence/ and field edges one day, BIL driving, he hit the wrong lever and dumped me/chainsaw/gas can out from most all the way up. i threw the saw away as i slid out. when i got up and gathered my senses i looked and he was GONE! ran to his truck and left...pretty sure he knew he was gonna git a *** kicking! farming is dangerous and no small child should be around working machinery at any time.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 11:39pm
i also remember reading about a fellow that had his young son riding on a tractor fender while he was bush hogging, hit a hole, son fell off and went under the bush hog.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 8:32am
I was using my WD with manure loader, trip bucket, picking rocks. I picked up a large one and raised the loader all the way up so that large rock would fall to the real of the bucket, it didn't move. So I claimed up the loader and into the bucket, with the loader still raised all the way up, straddled the rock, facing forward, and rolled the rock to the back of the bucket, behind me. When the rock hit the back of the bucket, the bucket tripped, dumping both the rock and me. Just before my feet left the bucket, I pushed off.
 The field I was working in was almost ready to plant, so it was soft soil that I landed on face down, out and away from the tractor and loader, the rock fell straight down.  

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 9:49am
How my brother and I never got killed on the farm when we were younger is just short of a miracle . We rode around in trip buckets , on fenders , tailgates . Heavy machinery is unforgiving . We thought we were bulletproof and could not get hurt.
What really opened my eyes was 4H tractor safety class my father made my brother , I and any friends that hung out at the farm attend . Gorey film at the end that was very graffic . People crushed under tractors, equipment . They did not sugarcoat these photos .
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
jlbintn View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlbintn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 11:00am
It is redundant, but as previously posted....

You can't fix stupid.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 11:58am
No kidding there , kids have no place on a farm , - been there with  relatives, so dam aggrivating. And their just as dumd now  as they were kids ! 

Edited by DougG - 05 Jul 2020 at 12:55pm
Robert Musgrave View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert Musgrave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 1:07pm
One time my dad put my older brother and me in the Tempelton loader on the WD; he tied the trip latch closed with twine string, and we went for a s-l-o-w joy ride; dad is now 96 years old and mentioned a few years back how he remembered that event and it was a stupid thing to do.  R. Musgrave
garden_guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 1:17pm
We did some stupid stuff working on the farm and in the shop and around equipment back in the day as well, but grandpa would never let me ride on the tractor if he had a bush hog on the tractor. Instant no-no. I don't let anyone ride along with me unless it's just the tractor and no implements, and they have to sit on the fender and never in road gear.
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 8:28pm
Death toll is now 4 on this deal.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 8:56pm
Gives me chills thinking about these poor kids. I think of all the Mennonite farmers in the next county from me. Seeing children riding on fenders, on the steps makes me cringe every time I see them on the road. I have seen as many as 3 on a fender. Wish there was a law against it. Shameless, the story you shared earlier happened to a grandfather and his grandson less than 2 miles from me. I think the little fella was 6 years old. It devastated our little community and has forever changed the families lives. It happened beside our main highway and I think about it every time I drive that way. Still remember the tractor covered up by tarps and all the EMS vehicles there that day. So sad...
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic