This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1945 Allis Chalmers B

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Bram0419 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bram0419 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1945 Allis Chalmers B
    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 9:35am
Well after taking the cover off of the cutout and inspecting everything else (I did find a mouse nest in my toolbox) none of the wires were chewed or frayed however. My battery is now holding steady at about 6.13V It seems that the issue has been resolved. Thanks everyone for all of the recommendations. Im sure ill be back with further questions down the road. 
Proud Owner of a 1945 Allis Chalmers B
Sponsored Links

Ted in NE-OH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted in NE-OH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 9:22am
What diode do you use?
CA, WD, C, 3 Bs, 2 Gs, WC, I-400, 914
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 8:43pm
I had that problem on my CA a few years ago. It turned out to be the starter switch. The insulator on the inside of the switch had crumbled in pieces and somehow it was shorting a "little bit". I don't know how that could be, but I replaced the switch. The old one had a black circle inside where it had been getting hot, but evidently never made a real good connection to burn the insulation off the battery cable.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Bram0419 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bram0419 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 2:13pm
Thank you all for the suggestions! I will give all of these ideas a try. Hopefully in the next few days I will have some success to report. 
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 2:08pm
take one cable off the battery and see if it still runs down overnight ( battery problem)... if not, then run a test like Ben said, or disconnect one item every day and see if the battery runs down overnight... You know it has to be the generator / cutout / starter / or switch......... look at all the wires and make sure nothing is frayed and touching ground.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
C in Concord View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C in Concord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 1:26pm
Sounds like you've checked the battery, but I can't assume when diagnosing via forum.  Does the battery hold a charge when not hooked up?

If you are good there, one trial and error method I've used:  Pull the negative off the battery. Put the test light between the post and the ground wire. If the light illuminates, you have a draw. Disconnect one item at a time; when the light goes out, you found the draw.  Not sure exactly how to adapt it to positive ground though.  Where's Steve...

If the voltage draw is that apparent on your multimeter, you may just be able to watch that and unhook items also.

Good Luck!
Ben

Edited by C in Concord - 30 Jun 2020 at 1:31pm
Leave things better than you found them.

1941 Model C (restored 2020)
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 11:06am
Maybe pull the starter and clean it out. Check for frayed wires etc. inside of it. Could still be the light switch even though it is off.

Edited by chaskaduo - 30 Jun 2020 at 11:07am
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Bram0419 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bram0419 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 8:57am
Ok, thank you. Now that that is figured out and the cutout on the generator isn't stuck. Any other ideas of what would keep draining the battery so fast?
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 8:55am
Originally posted by Bram0419 Bram0419 wrote:

Ok,

So with this original 6V system, the positive cable (from the positive terminal on the battery) just goes to the steering column as a ground?

Correct!
Bram0419 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bram0419 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 8:25am
Ok,

So with this original 6V system, the positive cable (from the positive terminal on the battery) just goes to the steering column as a ground?
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 6:50am
Just put colored tape on the cables to make them the right color.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 6:26am
A color ground wire was not original. Red may not always be positive on an old tractor. It had a flat woven cable from +/positive to the steering column post. Wires come in both colors black and red in many lengths. I have some tractors with both the same color because the store didn't have the color I wanted in stock. Therefore always check the +/positive or -/ negative on the battery rather relying on cable color.   
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 6:12am
The tractor is positive ground. The black will be neg. I am assuming it is still 6v if you still have the original generator. 
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Bram0419 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bram0419 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 9:15pm
Ok, it looks like the cutout is fine. Here comes a stupid question though because it goes against everything I have known about a battery. The positive is always red, and the negative is always black. However on my Allis, the red wire goes right to the metal column as a ground, the black wire is the one that runs to the starter.... is the black wire actually positive then??
Bram0419 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bram0419 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 6:44pm
Awesome, I will give that a shot and report back. Thank you
Alvin M View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alvin M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 5:43pm
Cut Out Can Be Rebuilt With A Diode That Is What I Do
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 5:12pm
If its the original style take the cover off and ck the points. If they are stuck shut there's your problem.
Bram0419 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bram0419 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 3:14pm
furthermore, im assuming that if it is the cutout i would have to replace it? Or is there a way to fix this issue?
Bram0419 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bram0419 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 3:10pm
Yes, it has the original generator. 
I havent looked into the cutout at all. Sounds like this could be a good place to start. Is there a good way to test this alone or to single it out as the issue?
HoughMade View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoughMade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 2:25pm
How is the cutout on the generator?

...assuming you have the original generator.
1951 B
Bram0419 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bram0419 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 1:13pm
I have a 1945 Allis B that runs great, but as of late there seems to be something draining the battery. Headlight switch is turned off. When I hook up the battery and throw the multimeter on it I can watch the Volts drop. Any ideas? Thank you
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic