This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

wildlife crop destruction

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wildlife crop destruction
    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 10:48am
between the feral pigs, deer and racoons there is little left for us. In just a night or two my cowpea patch and corn field  is being destroyed. W hat they don't eat coons  knock down making it  where I won't have  enough ear corn to pick for a handful of chicken feed.
     I left the gate open one night and the pigs did a number on my sweet corn. 
    I can fence out the hogs but not the deer and coons.  Wife likes watching the  deer so shooten them is out. It's always open season on hogs and coons.  Not exactly hog killin weather so the buzzards have plenty pig bones to pick clean.
Sponsored Links

Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 11:03am
# 3 buckshot in my 20 ga  should take out a coon or two this evening. Hope they show up before black dark. Skeeters are real bad  after sunset.
     It may be time to set several of my rusty steel traps.  I hear moist cat food makes great coon bait.

Edited by Ken in Texas - 23 Jun 2020 at 11:05am
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 2:01pm
Cheap chocolate donuts is the best coon bait I've seen around here
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 2:13pm
Canned cat food works too. Catch them live traps then shoot them.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 8:13pm
No hogs here yet. But the deer and coon destroy everything. Can't raise a garden. The dam deer come within 20' of the house and destroy everything. Can't landscape around the house, the filthy dam goats get out once or twice a year and the first thing they eat is expensive shrubs. Darn Jack Russell and Great Pyr sleep on the south side of the house and the garden is on the north side.   Too dam lazy to bark at them. We came home last night just before dark, there were 27 does chowing down on the neighbors 13 acres of alfafa. Those were just the ones we could see. No telling how many were over the hill. I hope you guys planting deer plots don't live to regret it.
TDF View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TDF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 9:59pm
I really like those raccoon foothold traps. A little cylinder about 3 inches tall. I feed the cats by just dumping some cat food on the sidewalk by the garage. If there isnt any cat food left in the morning, set the trap fill it to the top with catfood and throw some more on the sidewalk in front if it. Cats wont go after food in the trap but a coon will. Got number 14 since Jan 1 two nights ago. Trap is set right now as the food disappeared last night.

TDF
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 7:14am
Originally posted by HD6GTOM HD6GTOM wrote:

No hogs here yet. But the deer and coon destroy everything. Can't raise a garden. The dam deer come within 20' of the house and destroy everything. Can't landscape around the house, the filthy dam goats get out once or twice a year and the first thing they eat is expensive shrubs. Darn Jack Russell and Great Pyr sleep on the south side of the house and the garden is on the north side.   Too dam lazy to bark at them. We came home last night just before dark, there were 27 does chowing down on the neighbors 13 acres of alfafa. Those were just the ones we could see. No telling how many were over the hill. I hope you guys planting deer plots don't live to regret it.

Dang, Tom,, if you gots that many deer,,,you should put an ad in the paper,,selling "Permits" for the fall Deer hunts and make you some money,,!!!  Them deer hunters will pay some good money to harvest your crop predators,,,,,,,Clap
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by TDF TDF wrote:

I really like those raccoon foothold traps. A little cylinder about 3 inches tall. I feed the cats by just dumping some cat food on the sidewalk by the garage. If there isnt any cat food left in the morning, set the trap fill it to the top with catfood and throw some more on the sidewalk in front if it. Cats wont go after food in the trap but a coon will. Got number 14 since Jan 1 two nights ago. Trap is set right now as the food disappeared last night.

TDF

I think you are talkin about Duke's dog proof traps, they work great!Clap

I use a large size marshmallow, and some stinky, fishy cat food as bait, put the MM and stinkbait in BEFORE you set the trap, behind the trigger!Wink

[TUBE]klAweWkDMk8[/TUBE]
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 8:47pm
Only way to keep them out is an electric fence. Two wires low and one high.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 9:18pm
i've trapped a few coons here in them live trap cages. i use donuts like Tyler says, also used the moist cat food. after catching them, i'll take them across the river into IA and release them, orrrrrrr....i'lll take them to a buddy's house if his garage door is open. i have also blessed one of the stockholders horse barn with a couple!
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 8:37am
I always bait the live-trap with 'Tomcat'. That's what the SOB's are steeling and if they won't go in at least there's one block for the mice to eat!
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 2:27pm
I always bait me live trap with peanut butter for coon
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 4:19pm
Caught and killed a half a dozen or so coons. Lost Count.  My boar hog who is trap smart is still destroying my small patch of field corn. I found his way in under the fence and set a 1/8 in cable snare. Missed him 3 nights in a row setting a snare as shown for hogs on the net. They make it look and sound so easy. They haven't  tried to snare this rogue boar hog .  Wish they would. I'm having zero luck.
    Gave up and blocked him out. I see his tracks outside my closed gate. Today I moved my hog trap and made it look like a corn field with stalks he leaves all around in the patch. The trap entry is just inside the partly open gate.. Baited the trigger with fully developed green yellow dent and Tuckers Favorite white ears a foot long..  If I can trick this old boy into thinking the trap is just a way into the field I will save what' s left  for Yours Truly .       
    This hog trap I built has caught no telling how many feral hogs.  Wish is was hog killin weather.  The last 2 I caught  a few weeks ago drew in seemed like thousands of green bottle files before I bled them and got the hides off and gutted em.  They are in the freezer now .   Field dressed at 40 lb each.   

Edited by Ken in Texas - 28 Jun 2020 at 4:31pm
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 4:42pm
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
ford8nwd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ford8nwd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 7:07am
When I was on the farm I mixed up some Golden Malrin with a half can of Pepsi. Coons never made it more than a few feet before dropping dead, never failed.
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 7:25am
I'll go along with the electric fence suggestion. Have used one for years with a high and low wire and has kept the racoons, deer and ground hogs out. Don't know how it would  work on the wild hogs though, fortunately. Use the hottest charger you can find and check regularly to make sure nothing is grounding it. Good luck with whatever you try. Sure is maddening to go to all the work and expense of a garden then loosing it in a few hours to varmints.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 11:32am
Sounds like the critters are out flanking you Ken. Time to change tactics. Golden Malrin fly bait works for Raccoons if you can still buy it. Conibear traps with a staked 5 gallon pail works unless you have a small dog or cat. Electric fence works for deer,hogs and raccoons but might not stop an old boar with his mind on sweet corn. Sounds like you will have to try all of the above. So far I have dispatched 5 groundhogs and 6 raccoons with traps and rifle.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 12:11pm
EPA and others have rules on using Golden Malrin fly bait on or for animals. They plan on revisiting it sometime this year if not already, to decide if you'll need a professional and or business license to purchase. I see it is still on ebay???
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 2:26pm
The last I bought I got at Tractor Supply
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 6:10pm
The stinkin old boar hog I thought  I had blocked out of all the ways to get into my corn field- (What is left still standing)- got real upset and pushed down the field fence where he could just step over it.  Needless to say I'm glad I picked and green shucked all the mature ears of Yellow Dent and Truckers Favorite White.  There is nothing left of the patch for Mister Pig to eat.  He still tries to knock down stalks I picked in the hope I may have missed a ear or two.  To get any more of my field corn he will have to get in my greenhouse where the green shucked ears are spread out  on the benches to dry.
     I have plans to take him out one of these days. Just need to figure a way to outsmart  one of the smartest feral hogs in Texas..  Live trap a female in heat and  see if hot sex my be a way to get a shot at Mr Hot Pants trying to get into the trap.
     My trap is big enough to pen a good looking shoat in the back third and catch him stepping on the trigger board  in the front 2/3.    Trying to father  another  litter if piglets may be the death of this old boy

Edited by Ken in Texas - 02 Jul 2020 at 6:13pm
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 6:31pm
Good idea Ken! Works for Buck Deer and Tom Turkeys.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 9:31pm
Now to live trap a shoat of breeding age to get this Bad Boy's hormones raging.  Even If I kill or miss killing the old Boar I can always put the shoat in the freezer.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 1:11pm
Sounds like a good plan. Keep us posted.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 5:04am
I'm moving my hog trap deep into the woods close to the spring branch that runs across the back of my place. Got a good cleared trail from the house to the creek bank.
     Last time I was down there after a good rain the fresh new sandbars were covered in fresh hog tracks.
    About a month ago I dug a posthole in a sandbar 18 " deep and filled it with shelled whole corn. Overnight pigs ate all the corn down to the last kernel . After a week of digging deeper and adding more corn I ran out of shelled corn and the hogs excavated a large  hole nearly 4 foot deep.
     A close look at the tracks showed pigs of all sizes made them.

Edited by Ken in Texas - 05 Jul 2020 at 5:05am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic