This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A few odds and ends on the B

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A few odds and ends on the B
    Posted: 31 May 2020 at 9:45pm
I brought Dad's B down to my place for some odds and ends.

The brakes have never really worked that well. With Junior doing most of the driving on it now, I figure I better get them working. Popped the fenders off, and the seat mount. Got the covers off, got the adjusters broke free. Then the troubles started. Both left side pins are stuck something awful. The are rusted into blind holes, although the rear pin has a small hole drilled in the housing to get at the back side. Unfortunately I think all these years stuff has been getting down in on the backside of the pin. Also, the brake drum isn't centered in the shoe either.

The only way to fix that is to remove the whole final and pull the drum out. Not getting that involved at this time. Cause I heat and beat and penetrating oiled them and they ain't moving.

The right side I pulled the pins out with a magnet. Sheesh! Took the shoes out, and they are quite thick. I was going to send them to Rick, but I can't get the one side out, the drum isn't in the right spot either, and the other side is serviceable. So, I cleaned everything back up and reassembled and adjusted.

There is a lot of play in the steering wheel. Its not in the steering linkage, the wheel turns a half a turn without the arm moving. I seem to remember there being two different steering gears? Is there an adjusting screw somewhere where I can get rid of some of it?

Next struggle, I need to remove the drawbar. It has never been off since I have been around. I need to get these pins out. I was moving them with the crescent wrench,

but it turns out the pins weren't turning, just the flat stock was spinning on the pin. I'm sure they are corroded in there but good after all these years.

I was gently prying on it and the flat stock popped off. OK, now I've got a stub to grab, anyways. Put my tiny blue propane torch in there for a while, soaked with penetrant, heated, and repeated a couple times.

it ain't budging. Guess tomorrow after work I will borrow a big torch and put a little more heat on them. Might cause a leak at the final drive pan gasket, but they are due for replacement anyways.

Thanks for looking!
The mechanic always wins.

B91131, WC23065, WD89101, CA29479, B1, Early B10, HB212, 416H
Sponsored Links

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 6:12am
AS ALWAYS: before working on anything, you should have a service manual.  Without one you can break more than you fix. By reading one, you'll find the B's brake drums have a set screw and the proper way to remove them. You'l also learn that the adjustment screw for the ROSS steering is behind the starter.  
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 8:41am
If there is not a hole on the inside of the pins in the brake, it's very easy to drill one. After you do that, you can spray penetrating oil in. Personally, once I drilled a hole on the inside, I have always been able to drive the pin out quite easily.
littlemarv View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 10:16pm
Got the drawbar off. Had to borrow a torch and really warm them up, but got the retainers  out. Welded the pins back together, cleaned everything up so they are easily removed from now on.

And here is why the drawbar needed to come off. Picked this up for next to nothing.

Pretty funny story when I went to pick it up. The owner said he last used this cultivator in the mid 1990's. He removed it from the tractor and sold the tractor. The cultivator went out to his land and has been sitting ever since. I asked him where the lift lever was, and he did not know. I asked him where they last removed the cultivator, because that's probably where the lever is. He thought on it awhile, and remembered removing it at his brothers farm. I told him I couldn't expect him to drive 20 minutes to the farm to look for it. He said now you got me wondering, we are going. OK. Went to his brothers farm, rummaged around for about 45 minutes, and there it was, in the mud under a stack of boards next to the old barn foundation! Score!

Fits like it was made for it.

The engine developed a slight miss this spring when I was using it. Just a pop and a whisp of white smoke every so often. It seems to happen so regularly I thought it must be  ignition related. Checked the cap and rotor. Yikes.

This tractor sat quite a bit for a few years with minimal use. Pretty sure sitting around is the reason for all the corrosion.

At any rate, I changed them and it fixed nothing. It seems to miss when idling or coasting, it pulls good and does not miss near as bad under load, if at all. Next up, go through the carb, I think.

But, we are getting busy with camping and baseball and such, so I had to take the tractor back up to dads, needed the space in my shed.

My Grandpa Carl bought the B brand new, with a one bottom plow and a sickle mower. Dad sold the plow to someone who wanted it for plowing gardens a long time ago. He has said several times he regrets selling it.

Well, let me fix that.

Picked up the plow and lift lever from a new forum member, and the depth lever and plow mounts from another member.  Think I got everything. It came with a manual but its kind of hard to tell from the parts drawing. Luckily, dad stopped over today. He hasn't seen a plow like this in decades, but in about 5 minutes he showed me how it mounted and worked. I didn't see how it could possibly work, but the main reason was because the main pivot for the lift lever is froze tight. Once he showed me that, it all clicked into place. I think he had a blast showing me that. Then we went to  Pizza Ranch for Fathers Day. Not too bad of an afternoon for the old man.

The one thing we didn't discuss was this mounting point. My best guess is it bolts on to the rear of the right final?

Thanks for looking.

mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 8:20am
Marv did you get the steering adjusted? I have a C that is the same way. 
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 11:22am
I did tighten up the steering. Took the starter out and adjusted the screw till most of the play is gone. Much nicer to drive now.

Mikemulligan (wi) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikemulligan (wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 9:14pm
Looking good. I'm glad you got set up with the plow. Now if we can remember things like that years from now!
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 3:31pm
Thanks for taking such good care of my favorite.  In fact, you have found some classic implements.  Shame you don't have a hydraulic.  If you get a chance you can check on e-bay.  Whenever I go they seem to have a hydraulic pump available and perhaps the rams and lift hardware to go with it.  Considering what is available today the B-C hydraulics are primitive but would make the lifting much easier.  
Good Luck!
Bill Long

Edited by Bill Long - 22 Jun 2020 at 3:32pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 11:18pm
Not sure why, but you can see the coulter is swung back and hanging down from up by the main beam. Maybe they did that for clearance during transport?

At any rate, the coulter is tiny! Got the whole assembly off the beam, and used a torch to warm everything up and get it all apart. All the carriage bolts require replacement, but I saved all the square nuts to keep it looking original.

Looked in the manual, it lists either a 15" or 18" coulter. This one measures 12", give or take. Its also rather oblong. May as well replace it while I'm in there.

Thought about just making my own, but I'm assuming they are hardened?

I should be able to pick one up locally, and drill the correct mounting holes if needed. Then we should be cutting furrow slices like nobodies business.

Kiwi View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 12:10am
Hi littlemarv when you put the coulter back on you will need to sharpen it only sharpen it on the right hand side (if standing at the back of the plow ) I put the angle grinder on the coulter so the coulter spins if you sharpen right side only it helps the plow run true just a tip I have learned from years of match plowing
Tractors Allis EB,two C,diesel G
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 6:58am
The reason the coulter was mounted in a screwy way is that is not the correct coulter mount for a B/C plow. the clam for the standard is closer to the front and the round bar should be a U shape. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 6:40pm
You are correct. On this one there is two splined pieces so you can loosen the carriage bolt and swing the assembly up out of the way. I see it was originally just clamped to the beam with some u-bolt clamps.

After a few days of penetrating oil and tapping, got the share off without breaking anything.

Take it up to my dads next time I'm up that way, and he can take it to a local shop to get the share reworked.

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 9:07pm
Awesome work on the B and attachments. They dont have to be all prettied up to be brought back to goo working order and you will have lots of fun with it. Get that son to do some plowing and cultivating with it. Remember dont ever tell a Model B its not a big tractor!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic