This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Hay Equipment ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis Hay Equipment ?
    Posted: 28 May 2020 at 6:38pm
I'm aware of the roto baler, forage harvesters and sickle bar mowers, but did Allis ever make/re-badge small square balers or "haybine" type machines ?
Sponsored Links

tomstractorsandtoys View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomstractorsandtoys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 6:45pm
Yes Allis built lots of square balers and haybines. The haybines were called mower conditioners as haybine was a NH trade mark. There was a 904,829 and finally a 390. For square balers the 302,303,442,443 and 444 were popular models. Tom
Rick of HopeIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rick of HopeIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 6:47pm
They were a full line manufacturer up to about 1975 so they had rakes, conditioners, windrowers, and square balers. I know the LaPorte plant in Indiana made some of that stuff.   
1951 B, 1937 WC, 1957 D14, -- Thanks and God Bless
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 6:50pm
I never gave the rakes a second thought, thanks for the replies Smile
Kiwi View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 3:51am
Did Jones make the small balers for Allis or were they just tied up with Allis in the UK
Tractors Allis EB,two C,diesel G
gerkendave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerkendave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 6:55am
I believe they also made pull type hay crimpers as well.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 9:03am
There was also a 200 baler. My grandfather had one. He bought it new, I'm guessing about 1960.

Dad later had a 302 and a 303. I had a 443 and 444 later. 

Dad had both a 914 and 390 windrower. They both cut very well, but the gearbox (pitman) was their weak spot. It seemed like we had one rebuilt almost every year.

JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 9:04am
Originally posted by Kiwi Kiwi wrote:

Did Jones make the small balers for Allis or were they just tied up with Allis in the UK

The 200 and the 442 were built in the UK by Jones.  The rest of the balers were designed and built at the LaPorte plant.  Im sure the USA designed machines were modeled after the Jones machine.

The square baler line was a good one and a lot of the balers are still running, but they were way too late to the game with square balers.  It was a hard market to break into as many companies and dealers were already established into another line of balers, New Holland being the main one.

Forage blowers was another product they built that was a fairly successful line.  I often hear claims that he later blowers were built by Badger, they were not, they were built at LaPorte.

A-C also supplied a forage harvester to Ford and also built throwers for their balers as well.

Jim

An open eye is much more observant than an open mouth
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 5:03pm
I must admit, back-in-the-day, this area was pretty populated with A/C equipment, but I never saw a A/C square baler(nor a roto for that matter Wink) but multiple Case balers, no IH balers, GOBS of MF, lots of NH and a spattering of JD. Thanks for the replies !!
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 10:12pm
I had a 904 mower conditioner for about a dozen years, never gave too many problems but I was always waiting for that wobble box to blow. It never did, good thing because parts are made of unobtanium. I have seen 2 of them that had been retrofitted to John Deere wobblers and they seemed to work ok.
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 10:20pm
Old post but I missed it back then..... Allis bought Jones in 1961 and the 200 was Allis-Chalmers' first product of that buyout. https://www.farmcollector.com/equipment/jones-baler-zmwz12marzbea/
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic