This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How much HP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allispuller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much HP
    Posted: 21 May 2020 at 9:17pm
How much horsepower can a WD45 read end and transmission hold?
Sponsored Links

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 6:53am
More if you run light, go fast and let the wheels spin. Less if you run heavy and use grampa gear with no slippage. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 7:12am
Tire size, lug profile, wheel speed, engine RPM's and weight are the factors. I know of some that make 100 HP @ 1400 to 1800 RPM and pull up to 5,000 lbs with 15.5 x 38's and never have any problems. When you say "rear end" that includes the transmission, which a WD45 trans can tolerate more than an old WD with the straight gearshift.
allispuller View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allispuller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 2:16pm
I guess the reason I’m asking is that I was thinking about doing a 292 Chevy swap. Was just curious on how many issues I was going to have with the rearend ad transmission holding up to the power.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 4:03pm
I know of a modified that is a WD that had a 350 with an automatic and something like 23.1X26 tires that runs 4500 to about 6000. It runs fast and spins and hasn't had any problems. Sometimes more HP and spinning is not as much strain and just enough HP and tied to the ground. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
mruhlig77 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mruhlig77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 5:25pm
Same ring and pinion was used in early 190's until they started to break....have late D-19 in my WD-45 but no 100 horse....
mruhlig77 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mruhlig77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 5:26pm
That was the diesel version in the WD-45
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 10:54pm
Final drives are the weakest link.         MACK
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic