This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sugar Beet Harvesters

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis J OPKs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sugar Beet Harvesters
    Posted: 12 May 2020 at 4:42pm
This is a rare subject for the forum and I don't recall it ever being mentioned. They were made in the mid 60's until about 1970. It's not clear if AC mfg. them or someone else built them for AC.  Anyway, I was asked if they have any value and my reply was probably scrap value unless a collector wants one and then it's still probably scrap.  Anyway, I know where there is one in the TX panhandle and it actually doesn't look too bad considering it may have been parked there (outside) for 50 years.  Comments appreciated.  Thanks.
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 5:11pm
Swinfords book states that SBH's were made by Oppel Harvester Company, Boise, Idaho...Wink

Edited by DiyDave - 12 May 2020 at 5:11pm
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 5:43pm
where in the TX panhandle? I'm guessing Hereford/Dimmitt/Friona area, as that was a big sugar beet production area back years ago..
 I get to the Hereford area occasionally,,,

I don't want it, but would like to look, and maybe get a picture or 2
Dennis J OPKs View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dennis J OPKs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 6:33pm
Michael, no it's actually close to Dalhart.  I have a couple of pictures if you want to PM your e-mail address to me I can forward them to you.  It appears to be a pull type pto driven, maybe one row-I guess they made them up to three rows.  Beets were raised in SW KS years ago and may still be grown in Colorado-I don't know.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 8:45am
geez,, Dalhart is like 2 steps out my back door..get there quite a bit, bank is there, get most my parts and supplies there...I know a few folks around there.
PM sent
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 10:30am
You willing to let Micheal V share pictures with the group.

Why does this always happen................. not used in 50 years. I start counting fingers and toes and come up with 1970.......................that was not long ago. Darn that was 50 years ago and I was just a pup.Angry Now the whole day is going to HE!! cause I am old.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 10:35am
Don't feel bad Ray!---I am there too!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 11:49am
I was still in high school!  If it has an AC auxiliary engine on it that may be worth something.

The raise lots of sugar beets up here on the MI Thumb.  The harvesters are huge machines.  And the piles are impressive.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis J OPKs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 1:03pm
No problem on sharing photos.  I don't have the skills required to post them here so will be sending them to him via 3 e-mails.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 4:05pm
I'll try and get them here

well,,, I got one here..
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 4:25pm

heres another one
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 8:23pm
I like to see the pics of all the stuff AC made or rebadged. Pretty neat stuff. Thanks Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
BenGiBoy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenGiBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 8:29pm
That's cool, thanks for posting! 
'39 Model B
Tractors are cheaper than girls, remember that!
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 7:57am
First for me to view such an item. Impressive how broad spectrumed AC had become. So would it dig/loosen crop, then separate from soil or did it require another implement pass to help the process? Love it’s jeep looking tires. Thanks for sharing.
tomstractorsandtoys View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomstractorsandtoys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 9:11pm
Thanks for posting pics. I have no interest in owning but still nice to see another part of a great company and farm history. Tom
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis J OPKs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 10:03am
I'm sure there are members on here that can explain the process. I believe the green tops first have to be removed (can be used for cattle feed).  Then the harvesters actually dig the beets out of the ground, shake off as much dirt as possible.  Then they are piled up and/or eventfully hauled the processing plant.  That's got to be the short version and others can explain better.  Check out you-tube for the modern methods but the process seems to be similar.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 1:59pm
They used a flail type mower that would take everything down to the dirt here. So not much left and after the digger was like it had been plowed. The lifters and open slates on the chain (in pictures) lets the dirt fall back to the ground.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 5:51pm
Here's the modern version, of how sugar beets are processed...

[TUBE]ksN7h-ZpFWc[/TUBE]
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
oregontrailbeans View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oregontrailbeans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 5:03pm
I had a 3 row I could dig 40 ton beets at 6.5 mph with the 190XT.. great machine  
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 6:01pm
Looks very similar to a FarmHand
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Dave (Mid-MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (Mid-MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 8:24pm
The latest Old Allis News came today, and contains an advertisement about these harvesters.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 11:24pm
that machine sure wold look nice all  spiffed up and on display at Hutch!
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 11:02am
i would like to see photos of a mar beet mounted on a wd 45 or a d17 ours was mounted on ad17d single row and mounted to awd45d before my time  it got scraped all i have left is some picking wheel parts and all the books i would like to find one to mount on my wd for parades and shows this was big beet country until the 80s 
Bill(MO) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 6:00pm
Oppel made several products for AC in the Late 60s and 70s. I had just started to work for Allis Chalmers in summer of 1967 when one of our dealers sold a potato harvester to a prison farm in Kansas. There were enough inmates in the field they could have dug potatoes about as fast as the harvester. I did get to have lunch in the prison dining hall!     .
matador View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 9:17pm
Those old diggers aren't that much different from the modern ones. There's a farmer out here who runs an old Hesston 3 row that looks kinda like that. In a beet harvest, you have a defoliator run ahead of the digger- it's a bunch of rubber flails that beat the tops off the beets. Then, that machine comes along. There are two angled wheels for each row- they kinda look like a narrow front end on a tractor. They're steel and run a little underground. They lift the beets out of the ground, and flails push them onto some steel rollers that knock the dirt off.

That machine would have been a Cadillac in it's day- it has a basket to carry beets. A lot of the older Heath units out here don't have the tank- they just go straight on a conveyor to a truck. The tank makes them so much more versatile- the unloading conveyor is hydraulic, so you can just shut it off at the ends of the rows while the truck turns around
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 10:09pm
My dad built some of those Heath lifters back in the late '70s.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic