This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 56>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 7:03am

yeah I got curious....40G gas water heater is about 38K BTUs, this tankless is 140K and only $500 Canucks...
gotta be cheaper south of the 49th !

That driveway looks slippery.... though I got 4" white donation from 'him'......grrr
Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 7:18am
Originally posted by Sherman Farms Sherman Farms wrote:

We have a tankless peopane hot water heater in our 64x48 shop for ten years. It runs very little and we keep shop at 60 degrees all winter ..Once the concrete gets warm it takes just a few cycles a day to maintain your temperature.

Sherman Farms,
That is a interesting solution: Do you have any specs/pictures of the unit your using? 
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 7:32am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

yeah I got curious....40G gas water heater is about 38K BTUs, this tankless is 140K and only $500 Canucks...
gotta be cheaper south of the 49th !

That driveway looks slippery.... though I got 4" white donation from 'him'......grrr
Jay

Jay, 
We have had some rain instead of the you know what! But yes that drive to the shop may get slippery when we do get more of Shamless' best!

Thanks for the link on the tank-less water heaters. I am not sure about any of these units/systems. Will have some learning to do.

Folks,
On shop note the door I cut in Z1 yesterday morning has been used a hundred times already!
The exterior lights (why is hind sight so much better than foresight?) I think it would have worked with them centered on each doorway. I would have had 5 of them. I think it might have worked just as good, vs the coach light approach on each side of the door. Nic did these in the rain too. 

Off to get more supplies to try and complete the wall girts/ nailers.

Keep things going in the Orange Land! 

And yes the toy box has a lot of things that I have accumulated in the last 6 years of retirement. Just like a kid in a sand box!
 Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 7:49am
re: lights.... yeah hindsight.....
just a suggestion ...
if you can, I'd move the light to the right of the mandoor ,so it's centered over the door, leave the other asis. The end ones seem to light the corners well,

Jay

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 7:56am
Jay Folks,
 Yes We discussed it four times about different way to set the lights and Now they are probably where they will be for a long time! This was my final choice and didn't look the same in daylight! On the other side of the building we did center it over the man door and one on each side of the OH. So I almost got it right! Not sure its easy to change now?

Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 8:18am
it's real easy...that's an electricians's job, hehehehehe...
gotta be under the 1 year warranty, parts and labor, right ????

don't feel too bad, I did the same thing, 30 years ago,back deck has 3  lights SHOULD have been 4....oh well.. I did swap in LED dimmables though last year...

Jay

tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 9:34am
When I first put up my garage/shop , it's 28' X 56' I heated it with a electric hot water heater till I got the house built, the 80 gallon water heater done a nice job at 60 degrees and wasn't that expensive on the electric bill. 

Edited by tadams(OH) - 23 Nov 2020 at 9:35am
Sherman Farms View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sherman Farms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 9:46am
The heater is an AOS 110 it sends water out at about 125 degrees,the size is about 18inches x24. IT was install by a company called Rocky  Fork and use the crete-heat system.  We are in the process of installing the same system in our new AC museum 60x136 but there will be two heaters.The project is almost complete except for the heaters a million plus farm purchase has slowed things down. Rocky Fork #419 892-2813. Might be able to post pictures when son comes back from bear hunting in PA on Thursday.
B, C, RC, 3 wc,2 wd,3 wd45, d15, d17, d19, d21, 190, 440, 7040, 918 backhoe, 12 roto balers, 7 60 combines, 40, 66,2 72,90 super, sp100, Gleaner E, F3, 3 L2, R62, and much more
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 11:58am
Thanks Guys! 
Looks like lots of options to provide heat, which I could sure use today! Its that 40 degrees raw, wet weather. Feet are cold. 
Worked on some prototype white aluminum cladding for the door jams inside the building. Don't have that nice break anymore. Humm? This may be fun?

Regards,
Chris
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 12:20pm
grab some of those 2by2 foot 'sponge' jigsaw mats and kick them under your feet ! Feet WILL be warmer and a LOT less sore at the end of the day.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 2:48pm

The heater is an AOS 110 it sends water out at about 125 degrees,the size is about 18inches x24. IT was install by a company called Rocky  Fork and use the crete-heat system.  We are in the process of installing the same system in our new AC museum 60x136 but there will be two heaters.The project is almost complete except for the heaters a million plus farm purchase has slowed things down. Rocky Fork #419 892-2813. Might be able to post pictures when son comes back from bear hunting in PA on Thursday.

Is he from Lucas Ohio ?
Sherman Farms View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sherman Farms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 7:41pm
Yes Larry is from Lucas. He may have retired by now, haven't talked to him since Feb.
B, C, RC, 3 wc,2 wd,3 wd45, d15, d17, d19, d21, 190, 440, 7040, 918 backhoe, 12 roto balers, 7 60 combines, 40, 66,2 72,90 super, sp100, Gleaner E, F3, 3 L2, R62, and much more
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 9:30pm
Folks,
The east side of the shop: One light missing in the south corner. This is going to look and work fine with the exterior lighting on a dusk to dawn timer too.

I picked up another load of lumber. I have to remind myself that it does take material to build basically a 20 x 20 building with a set of steps and a bathroom in one corner of this shop!
 I worked on prototyping the door jam for the small overhead in Z1:
I chose to aluminum clad the jams since I had some material:

I was able to complete this work and also add the 1x4 trim around the perimeter so that the door hardware can be mounted. Also lots of corner nailers are in place too.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 23 Nov 2020 at 9:31pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 2:07pm

Yes Larry is from Lucas. He may have retired by now, haven't talked to him since Feb.

That's where I got the tubing for my house basement floor and he help lay it 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 10:14am
Folks,
 With the lights up Nic pointed out several siding issues. So I have siding to check out today. I know what happened. Three of us working in the dark and a panel did not get clipped up in to the one below it. Hopefully will be a easy fix? 

Yesterday was gun range day, Sighted in the 30.06, and two .22's. Also shot Jim's .17 cal. Very nice gun!!

Shop action:
These are the 9x8 door jambs. Ready for door to be installed. Came out ok for just working these to shape on the bench:

Did some SPF install last night and trimmed out the 12 foot door jams with aluminum too.
Need to finish framing the bathroom walls and then up the stairway and loft area framing. Would like to getr this done while in the mood. as I get dis=tracted and wont ever get it done. OK may never get it all done anyway!Smile

Great grandsons were over and they loved the stairs into the loft!

Regards,
 Chris
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 6:18am
Hahaha........sighting in that 06 pic makes it look like it's got one hell of a silencer on it!!  What size is the spotting scope?
That shop is looking better all the time Chris.  Once you've got it done, you'll have to find something to occupy all your free time.  Except for maple time.....
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Strokendiesel002 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 6:58am
Agreed Ted, I definitely did a double take!

Chris, my shop envy grows by the day, keep up the great work and thanks or bringing us along!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 11:57am
Folks,
 Happy Thanksgiving to all! Enjoy! Big turkey in the roaster, taters peeled and ready, yams in syrup, stuffing a plenty, and small family gathering! 
The shop is on pause today. I did some clean up and moved my rolling work bench into Z1. Which makes a island in between the two proposed 12 foot benches. Pretty good work area for maybe small engine rebuild?
After waiting till retirement to begin this shop project. My recommendation is to start 20 years prior. a lot more ambition and time to fill it up too!Smile

The meeting with the heating contractor on the boiler was good. Lots of good ideas. He wants to put some of the large bulky items like air tank and fill tank under the stairs. This is a good use of the space and may work out fine. 

So now I can think about that area under the stairs, and get some basic framing up to allow that to be 'finished' some day too. I will have stack vent, and water lines running around that area too. Lots happening in a small area. But should provide additional space in the bathroom to move around better.

Thanks for checking on me!
I get a little discouraged working on this inside stuff. Just seems to be eating up time materials and money!:)  Lots of details And with out having the wall covering materials decided I built these walls way too complicated! Lots of added work to add nailers all over the place and in each corner and on and on........

Regard,
Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 26 Nov 2020 at 12:04pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 12:50pm
Folks I was busy and hadnt posted any pictures lately:
 Here is the spot where I took the siding apart and moved a couple panels up about a 1/4 inch to allow them to hook and hold.

Better:

12 x 10 door jamb wrapped with white aluminum:

The west half of this slider will pass just behind the jib post. I like it! We will see if I ever get that door built! Life may get in the way?

Good to get the truck inside too:

Oh yes on the muzzle silencer!:) That is Jim shooting his .17 cal. picture came out just right! Good eye! Not sure on the spotting scope but it worked real nice!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 26 Nov 2020 at 12:55pm
Steve g View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 3:07pm

Here's a couple of things I must need in the shop at least in mine
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 3:19pm
why do I get the feeling that 'our' shop is already too full and needs a 'minor' addition put on ??

Steve g View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 3:48pm
Being in the plumbing and pipe fitting industry a must need .
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 5:48pm

Hey Chris,,,that right there is one nice shop,,,Congrats,,Guy,,,But,,in the one pic all I saw was an empty can of Black Label on that nice trk,,,,,,Wink  Didn't see no .17 ,,,,,,??Wink
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 7:20pm
Joe,
Folks,
That was a empty Coors can. Someone has been coming in in the middle of the night drinking those, and leaving them all over!
 Here is Jim and the .17 cal.

Shop too full? Well yes, its getting there. Need to thin the herd but I dont let much go.

Will think on that addition to the bathroom? Not sure I have room for that?
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 5:16pm
Folks,
(Joe, thanks for the compliment on the shop)
Opening day of deer hunting with rifle today across PA. Spent the day in laid back too comfy tree stands and watched the inside of my eyelids as much as I hunted. I did see about 10 deer at the daughters place and there was a lot of shooting nearby too. Our son Eric got a narley racked 10 point. I helped him skin and quarter it. The buck weight about 130 ish and did not have a bit of fat on it. Will help him process it in to mainly burger.
I did bring home the Yale chain falls that will go on the jib trolley for a while. Just need to clean it up and give it a coat of paint first. I think its a 1 ton hoist.
Hope things are good in Orange land!
Will pick up another bunch of 2x4x10 ft. and attempt to get the stairs and the loft framing completed. 
One thing I did not do or plan for was to add a storage closet for things like brooms and stuff. Humm Maybe should think on that? I did pick out a spot for the air compressor. It will be in zone 2 near the new wall for the sliding door. somewhat out of the way and hope to build a sound reducing box around it. Many ideas, running out of energy!
Regards,
 Chris
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 6:35pm
Chris, i dont have a closet for broom or coat...Have a few pegs in the corner wall , out of the way to hang broom, snow shovel , coat, etc... and a medicine cabinet by that with a mirror and band aids and light bulbs inside ! ........ saves room not having a closet and door.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 7:36pm
Steve,
 Thanks for the comments. Good suggestions too. And I really dont feel like building another room (small) right now!Smile
Regards,
 Chris
Steve g View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 2:02pm
Have been in the construction industry for over 35 years heavy industrial from schools to hospitals steel mills And yes almost 99% of the time carpenters and laborers are putting the insulation foam board down around the perimeter
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 4:49pm
Steve,
This was something that I had considered and did not do. Time and old man winter will tell. I did a double skirt board with insulation around the base. The concrete doesn't go around the poles. Also has 2 inch foam under the concrete. 
By the way you have a nice looking shop. I seen your post on the sensors in the sun. Maybe sun glasses for them?

I worked in the loft some today. Added a knee wall sill plate and vertical studs to one half of the room. This will be a 16 inch wall at the bottom on the sloped part of the room. That will allow it to be insulated and closed up someday. Ran out of lumber again so will have to make a run tomorrow. 
I also figured out the upper corners of the room. There is a steel web plate where the truss comes together. Well those plates overlap down into the corners of the room.
I don't want to cut the steel plates, as that may weaken them. So I am going to have to add a block in each corner that is about a foot long. More work and material, but should solve that issue safely. Also will allow 10 inches of space between the proposed ceiling material and the roof sheeting for proposed insulation. (may need to put some vent material in that area??)

Also have framing to do in stairwell for the ceiling in that area which will run at or near the same angle of the stairs. Again more noodling and then frame it in.

Nic should be back on the electrical project this week. he and his wife Brandi are wrapping up their hunting. She just got a nice 8 point buck today! 
Regards,
 Chris
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 6:48pm
Nic should be back on the electrical project this week

YEP... them SPARKIES come in real handy.. Especially when the PRICE is right !
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 56>
  Share Topic