This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 56>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 3:11pm
Looking great!!
Sponsored Links

allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 10:09pm
What a super shop you are going to have! I am jealous! But Happy for you Chris.
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 10:17pm
Guys,
 Thanks! Appreciate the kind words! Just got in from putting up some hemlock. Its different.
Will try to have some pictures tomorrow.
 Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 8:37am
Chris,  Everything looks great.  I really like that stain you decided on.  It just seems to fit in perfectly. For the foam, I bought a cheap foam cutter, it heats up and melts thru so there isn't any dust.  It doesn't work to fast so I think I'm gonna use my old soldering gun when I get started on the basement walls.  Just a suggestion if you decide to do more foam.  I was also wondering if you was gonna trench out to the road ditch and put in drain tile to run your downspouts into.  It sure makes it nice for mowing, and erosion control.  Just a thought!  Good luck with all the stuff you got going on.  It makes me tired just thinking about it all!  John
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 9:09pm
John, Folks. 
Thanks! My dirt guys came by yesterday and the day before and completed the floor drain system to daylight. Then graded all the piles of dirt up near the building. 

For the Fall in love with Maple Event today and tomorrow,  we had many friends, family, plus those who stopped for the first time. Some of the celebrities were Brenda and Bill from Sandy Lake Implement, Was great to see them and their spouses. Yes we talked about orange tractors too!

Jim, (hd1937) brought his antique saw and a hit and miss Whitt.

Matt did the honors for the hay rides and there were many smiles.

Son Adam at the controls of the David Bradley. One pull and the little N engine came to life. It was his GG Grandfathers garden cultivator.

I completed the wainscoting on the west side after the party was over.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 10 Oct 2020 at 9:13pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Strokendiesel002 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 10:29pm
Chris, your building looks amazing!

It's beautiful and looks like it's gonna be super functional!!!
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 12:39am
Getting closer every day!  I remember reading your first posts when you were considering building a shop.  Time flies, here it is fall and other then the doors, you are closed in, Great work!!!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 5:54am
Strokendiesel002, JohnColo, Folks,
Someone ask the other day how long I had waited for this shop. I said about 30 years! Smile
 Thanks, I enjoyed the build of this structure. Even though I had a good builder do most of the heavy lifting, we were right there doing things each step of the way too. 
 Yes the doors. The supplier said (last week) the warehouse found the top and bottom sections for each door but not the mid sections! My guess is the doors will be here in a week or so. They are going to be big and white, changing the look of the shop. They will have a row of windows near the top too.
 Still have a bunch of digging and dirt work to do. Line to septic tank, lines from each down spout, line for propane, catch basin and drain to the road ditch. A new short drive way on the east side. It will look like giant moles were playing. These guys like to move dirt and dig up things. And they are good at it too!
Off to get the 40 linear feet of hemlock ready for staining tonight.
I am starting to get more confident that, yes, it will be closed up and weather tight for the winter season, which is just around the corner too.
I will try to get a few more Allis pictures today to add. Would like to do a tractor ride of sorts today , during our Fall in Love with Maple Event!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 14 Oct 2020 at 5:47am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 6:00am
Originally posted by john(MI) john(MI) wrote:

Chris,  Everything looks great.  I really like that stain you decided on.  It just seems to fit in perfectly. For the foam, I bought a cheap foam cutter, it heats up and melts thru so there isn't any dust.  It doesn't work to fast so I think I'm gonna use my old soldering gun when I get started on the basement walls.  Just a suggestion if you decide to do more foam.  I was also wondering if you was gonna trench out to the road ditch and put in drain tile to run your downspouts into.  It sure makes it nice for mowing, and erosion control.  Just a thought!  Good luck with all the stuff you got going on.  It makes me tired just thinking about it all!  John

John,
I forgot to comment on this foam cutter suggestion. I didnt know they made them but that may have been much easier, and cleaner, than whittling it out with the tools I used! Lots of foam debris, made a mess. They cut it with a wire at the place I got it from. Custom sizes carved from 16 foot blocks.
 Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 6:51am
Folks,
Your getting tired of this Shop Talk!  I will change it up a bit at the end! Hang in there! Thanks for coming along on the ride too!
I got a lot of good suggestions form you guys during this project! Several other things I should have been working on got set aside this summer for this build. Pleased with the results as we start to see the building almost ready for overhead doors. Which reminds me I need to go get the lumber for the stairs and one 18 foot 2x6 for above the big door.
Some shots as the wainscoting is going up:

Grandson Nic and GGrandson Cooper!

We had a fun event using the new shop this weekend too.
Our first "Fall in Love with Maple Event"! Friends Family, Neighbors and guests!
Hayrides, Cider pressing with hit and miss engines, Honey and honey demos, Maple products of all kinds, Tractors even green ones and red ones, Kids garden tractor rides, Custom sign shop, Tractor ride, Rock climbing, Pumpkins, Sugar house tours:

Adam with his GGGrand fathers David Bradley!

Grand Daughter Addi and Great Granddaughter Chloe

Daughter Kelly with her honey demo:

Friend Matt (left) with his cider presses and GRAY engine:

Friend and fellow beekeeper Leroy, with some comb honey and creamed honey.

Every kid got a pumpkin! Not sure what that Green thing is called at the end?:)

Grandgirls and GGrand  boys on the rock pile.

Maggie on point for catching a yellow jacket. 

Four generation picture:

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 12 Oct 2020 at 6:54am
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 6:54am
Just love when a plan works out.
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 8:09am
Chris, Just love following along with the new shop and just think when you get the outside all done then a hold new story will start when you finish the inside of the shop and I'll be looking forward to that. Oh by the way it's looking great.  
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 9:23am
Chris, It looked like a great time, wished I coulda been there for the show.  We love honey and maple so it would have been a good time for us.  Oh and I love tractors too!  I think Jack has some honey brew, so maybe you should set up a still too?Big smile  You could make honey and maple brews.  Then you would probably have a lot of folks on here coming for a visit!!LOL 

Now for my new suggestions.  When you pour pads in front of the man doors, put in a couple rebars about 8" apart and sticking up about 3".  Then weld a piece of plate across the bars.  A permanent boot cleaner.  I've even seen them with the ends of the plate sticking up a little higher to clean the sides of your boots.  Something you could assemble and then just stick the unit in when the concrete is poured. 

A friend put in 4' LED's in his barn.  He put a row down each side and one across the back.  Then he plugged them into smart plugs.  Now he you just tells that chick to turn on east, west, rear, or all lights and shes says okay, and then they come on.  I can never remember her name so it wouldn't work for me, Irma or something like that!LOL
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 10:45am
You had perfect weather for the "Fall in Love with Maple Event" and it looked like it was a lot of fun.
The "shop" looks GREAT.  Not much left except the overhead doors.  I'm like Jay, I'm JEALOUS!!  NICE!!
Maple cotton candy???  WTH is that?
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 11:41am
Looks like you have half of the outside bay already filled up, better start planing on the addition!
Greg (Hillsboro, OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg (Hillsboro, OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 11:57am
Sugarmaker, you stated that we are probably getting tired of this post..... absolutley not, at least for me.   I look forward to seeing an update each time I log on.  I am going to go through withdrawals when this is over.   The biggest thing you're guilty of is the amount of jealousy you're generating by the rest of us wishing we had such a building.   Looking great and I think we've all learned something useful from several of your posts.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 2:04pm
Everything looks great and looks like everyone enjoyed your weekend. Now you have a ways to go on the inside with insulating side and ceiling and of course you have to put something over the insulation like siding of some kind so I am sure we will have a lots more to read about.
Thank You for sharing.
Tom
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 2:40pm
I agree, MORE pictures, MORE updates !! I'm NOT bored, jealous yes, but that's OK, I can live with that...
I'm also waiting for the 'it's finally done' post, then 3 days later... 'decided we needed an extension on the south side, maybe 20x40...........'
it WILL happen, only a matter of time.

Since I can't have my dream garage, I'm happy you've got yours... sniff,sniff....Cry
Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 8:28pm
Gentleman, 
I will continue to update as I go. Probably till the money runs out, which may be soon!
I like the boot cleaner idea,I have seen them too. 
I don't think I have any room for additions! The lot just doesn't allow it. Used up most of my east yard with this thing!

Cheryl held the flash light as I put up the last piece of hemlock and replaced the gutter on the south east corner tonight! Feels real good to have that siding all in place too. Just need to get 250 more screws to finish fastening it completely.
Some pictures from today:

Inside is starting to get some odds and ends moved in:

Sure is nice to have my sugarhouse back too! Well almost:

And the sun sets on another day:

Regards,
 Chris

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 9:03pm
work bench, tool rack, lights ......... and now for the REST of the story ??
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 10:39pm
i've loved following your journey with the new building! i see one bay is about full already! lol...must be "her" stuff...right? when i poured concrete inside my Astro building, just inside the walk door i put in a big grate to scrape my boots/shoes on, the stuff i scrape or stomp off drops thru the grate down. it's about 2 inches deeper than the concrete, the water when it melts just soaks up in the dirt, any other stuff will sit there until it needs to be removed. just lift the grate and shovel it out. i've never had to clean it out since i put it in 25 years ago! i have the same thing built into my deck just outside the front door. really works good. oh...just don't fergits to put your beer fridge in there! prolly hafta puts a lock on it for keeping out younger fingers! they look good painted orange! 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 6:14am
Folks,
 Many great ideas! Yes I have a design for work benches. I like that idea for the dirt catchers at the door too. Just didnt get that detailed, but I will keep that in mind.
Today I am headed to get plumbing supplies. I am not a plumber and the guys that put in the drains in the bathroom area did not vent the system through the roof. I see two options. My neighbor recommended a trap in the drain outside the building to stop gas back up. Anyone familiar with this system? 
And I believe I need to do some work to put in a vertical vent that the sinks can tie into also.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 13 Oct 2020 at 6:23am
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 6:54am
Building traps were a stop gap design to prevent sewer odors entering the building before proper vent systems came into being. Uniform code only allows them where jurisdiction requires them and they must also be vented. I understand your desire to not cut a hole in the roof for a proper vent but it is necessary. If your jurisdiction allows, International code does approve venting out a sidwall.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 7:41pm
I knew a plummer would come along. So I do plan to vent out the shop roof. Have 2 inch sch 40 vent stack now connected to the 3 inch drain that goes from the shop and ties in to the existing septic drain. Anyway, I think it will work fine, and allow me to vent the sinks also.

Connection at the back of the house about 110 feet of run:

Maggie saw everyone else digging so she had to get in on the action too.

We put in the 2 inch vertical vent "T" up in between the skirt boards in the wall, and reduced the 4 inch main drain to 3 inch and put in the clean out "T" wit a stub up to ground level, with a screw on cap:

I did have time to get the girls lined up for a glamour shot:
I don't get Nic's tractor over here often to stay over night, It sounds way better with the straight pipe than my 45!

Should finish this sewer line tomorrow. Just in time for the new propane tank and lines to be installed on Thursday. The last digging project will be to put in drain lines for the down spouts and a small catch basin located  in the edge of the drive way between the shop and the attached house garage. I want to tie in the house garage down spouts to that drain that will go to the road ditch also. That might be 6 inch perforated line I believe. The trench will have 2 B stone in it I believe to help drain the drive. The east side of the building will get one line for the downspouts too, a small slope to the road for yard water run off, and a new short driveway to the east door. Hummm, after saying that I guess there is some more work and costs involved in the infrastructure and work to be done! 

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 14 Oct 2020 at 5:45am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 8:21pm
Guys,

Propane install tomorrow. Used 1 inch conduit for the plastic propane line.

Stubbed out the 3/4 line for the shop:

Also stubbed out a 1/2 inch black pipe in the sugarhouse, for a potential ventless heater.

Couple Allis shots:

Pumpkin carving time. Rhett and I teamed up to do  long neck dinosour.

Also went to local lumber yard and picked up the 2 x 12 x 18 foot long stair stringers (3) and a 2 x 8 x 20 for above the 16 foot door for the trolley opener to fasten too. 
Picked up a new Stanley 30 foot tape measure. As I aggressively tried to get it out of the plastic pack, the belt clip on the back broke off. The plastic pack was stronger than the stainless clip. Now that just doesnt make sense!

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 14 Oct 2020 at 8:34pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 8:28pm
Folks,
The propane company arrived as expected and set the new tank, cut in the three lines. and were out of here in a couple hours. I like the location of the new tank.

Did I mention that we hit the drain for the sugarhouse and took out the electric line that fed the camper too. That was yesterday with the back hoe, while digging across the drive. Had to run and get some fittings to fix that. Added a clean out and cleaned (snaked) out the drain while it was open too.

at the shop:

at the sugarhouse:

at the house:

Also called my dirt guy and he arrived and backed filled everything. He also gave me a list of the drain components for the down spouts to take the water to the road ditch. Will try to pick that up tomorrow or Monday.

Finished the screws in the hemlock siding tonight at dark thirty. Builder will do my roof vent for the septic when I get ready.

Several visitors today, including Rosie from Discount Log homes where I got the stain for the hemlock!

Gutter guy will be back to add leaf guard to the house and garage. Getting too old to be climbing up to clean out the gutters!Smile

Thanks for checking on me.
 Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 15 Oct 2020 at 8:37pm
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 11:46pm
another thing i did when i had my Astro building built...made sure the doors on it locked from the "inside". there was a reason for that!
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 4:51am
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Guys,

Propane install tomorrow. Used 1 inch conduit for the plastic propane line.

Stubbed out the 3/4 line for the shop:

Also stubbed out a 1/2 inch black pipe in the sugarhouse, for a potential ventless heater.

Couple Allis shots:

Pumpkin carving time. Rhett and I teamed up to do  long neck dinosour.

Also went to local lumber yard and picked up the 2 x 12 x 18 foot long stair stringers (3) and a 2 x 8 x 20 for above the 16 foot door for the trolley opener to fasten too. 
Picked up a new Stanley 30 foot tape measure. As I aggressively tried to get it out of the plastic pack, the belt clip on the back broke off. The plastic pack was stronger than the stainless clip. Now that just doesnt make sense!

Regards,
 Chris

Wow things are really lookin good Chris. Nice nice work and an artist as well. Job well done.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 5:50am
more PROGRESS...!
My only concern is how shallow the gaslines are... I'd sure hate to hear how you 'found' one while creating a new flowerbed......
BTW did you run a 'tracer' wire with the plastic gasline ?? Sorry, too late to ask.....

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 7:39am
Thad,
Thanks!
Jay, Folks,
 That is the method and depth that the propane folks put it in at. About a foot deep with their digger machine. I did not run a trace line. was not familiar with that. Yes there is always a chance someone could hit anything here. I ave things going all over the place now!Smile
Just ordered the 2B stone for the drainage around the shop and will pick up the pipe for the down spout work also. Not sure when this digging will be complete? maybe next week?
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 16 Oct 2020 at 7:48am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 56>
  Share Topic