This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 56>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 8:09pm
You guys are way to high tech for me! :) I will have a 1 inch conduit ready for what we need.
Grandson is going complete some of the electrical work so we can get it inspected and have the power company pull the main line.
I worked on the overhead door trim a little today.  Its coming along. Plastic material azck (sp?) and brick molding, with coated small head torx screws.

Regards,
Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 04 Sep 2020 at 9:59pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 9:19pm
Just think Chris, if the guys who are all giving advice would have just showed up and helped, you'd a been done a long time ago. LOLLOLClap
Just kidding guys...... ALL kinds of good advice.
I'm getting more jealous by the day now Chris.  You're doing an excellent job with a lot of thought put into it.  GREAT JOB!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 1:59pm
Looks ready for the doors. Nice
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 7:48pm
Thanks guys!
Now that you mention it some of the folks that used to come and visit have been pretty scarce lately. Just sayin.....
I took 2 tons of roofing material to the local refuse site for my neighbor. First time I had use a dump trailer. Yep wasn't paying attention and bent both the tail gate hinges. What a dummy! So spent the afternoon fixing that to almost as good as new. 
Only got one door trimmed out tonight. Doing it alone you have to cut a little long and sneak up on the fit.
I have made initial contact with blueridge on the PEX in floor heat design. Sent them a PDF drawing of the floor plan.
Got a quote back from a Amish crew on the gutter which was about 1/2 the price of a local guy who quoted. Just another decision.

Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 8:27pm
Kinda nice to know I'm NOT the only one to have ,um, ah, err, 'modifed' the hinges on a dump trailer..at least it was MY dump trailer...sigh...
Have to admit I've bent them more than once.....at least 3 times this year....
Pretty bad that I know exactly which big friggin pipe wrench to grab,the correct wooden block to use,  to get the doors to swing 'like new'.
Sure glad you're going PEX in the floor !! It's one of those 'now or forever complain' details.... I know you'll be happy later when ,sigh, ol man Winter comes a knockin....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 12:34pm
I have found that working on a heated floor my feet, kness and back don't get as tired or start hurting as fast.
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 2:11pm
Tadams, I called my cousin to ask, it was Keim lumber in Millersburg, the contractor has split off from the lumber co and is called Quality construction.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 7:50pm
Today was one of those days where it doesn't look like you got anything accomplished. We spent time on the trim for the overhead doors.

Still need a piece ripped 1.5 wide to fill in at the back area of the jamb and header. This will get the seal for the doors over it and cover the seam.

Grandson Nic came over to get his boys and he drove in the two 7 foot ground rods for the new power. Should be able to get the service disconnect inspected in a few days.

Hope things are good thanks for checking on me!
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 7:55pm
gee everyday for me is 'what did I do, anything' ?????..sigh
looks like you need to get them doors soon, you got water on the floor.
actually kinda good, it'll help firm up the 'base'.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 5:57am
Folks,
 Jay,
 Yes the west wind and storms will batter that side of the building. I am going with better insulated OH doors (R16.2) and a modified Texas lip sill under the doors. a longer ramp vs a stepped lip. 
The building base has settled in pretty good. Several good rains on it and the bank gravel material seems to pack really hard. It was not easy to drive the ground rods in for the electric service last night!
A lot of days I feel I dont get much done. But just try to keep moving. When I look back over the pictures from this summer we (the builder his son, me and my two sons, grandson and great grandsons have made a lot of moves!

Off to get more screws and some starter strips for the siding. Would like to get the wood in process (cutting to length and staining) by the weekend.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 03 Sep 2020 at 5:59am
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 6:42am
Chris

Re: Ground Rod

When I built my Shop 3 years ago, I installed a 100 amp Panel, and fed it from a 200 amp Panel in the house.

I was told by the Electrical Inspector not to connect the 100 amp Panel to a Grounding Rod.

Also when the Electrical Contractor connected up the 100 amp Shop Panel, he removed a Grounding Bar / Link inside the Panel.

He said this was because the 100 amp panel was a sub panel to the House 200 Amp Panel.

Perhaps verify this with a licensed Electrician.

Gary
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 11:00am
I understand not having the ground rod, but the ground bar should still be used.  It should be connected back to the main panel.

Chris,  I think recessed lights in those angle pieces, pointing down from the angles would look really nice.  A light in all of them.  Maybe motion sensored, or just auto on at dark.  No, I'm not able to travel long distances, so I can't come do it for you!Big smile

Everything really looks nice.  Come'n along great.  I wisht I could come help, I am capable of running the romex to their destinations.  I read the code book back in the 90"s!Smile  And I would make the in side of the service box look very organized as well.  Put a masking tape label on the ends of the romex at the box of it's destination.  Then when you strip it to connect it you can write it on the label panel while you are doing it.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 12:36pm
the "ground strap/LINK " inside the panel is what connects the GROUND BAR to the NEUTRAL BAR..... 50 years ago they were one in the same... TODAY if you look in an electrical breaker box there is a NEUTRAL BAR ( white wire) on one side and a GROUND BAR( bare wire) on the other side..... depending on the application and age of the building , the manufacturer supplies you with a GROUND STRAP/LINK to connect the two BARS  if needed... basically connecting all the BARE wires to the WHITE wires inside the box.

Edited by steve(ill) - 03 Sep 2020 at 12:39pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 9:04pm
Folks,
 I will leave the electrical to the expert. The grandson is a Master electrician, and is good. He is assisting his boss with managing 3 teams doing field service work in the Erie area. So this box where the ground rods were installed is the main service disconnect for all the buildings. From this box it will go to feed the 200 amp into the house. which has 100 amp going to the sugarhouse.
Anyway two 7 foot rod six feet apart drove in to right at or below finished grade.

Today I worked on detailing around the Overhead doors. Added a strip of window wrap sealant across the top down the 45's and slightly down the verticals. Then added the gray J channel.

Prototype corner for the gray steel "z" strip, hemlock and the starter for the vinyl

One more overhead to trim out with the gray J.
 Cement guys were here and want to start work in a couple weeks. 

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 13 Sep 2020 at 2:15am
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 1:11am
congrats on the progress of your new hideout! i am enjoying the pics and notes on it. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 8:23am
SD,
Thanks! I never know when I am boring or informing? If boring then you can check in just before bedtime!
Need more supplies. Off to the big city.
 Regards,
 Chris
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 9:36pm
Sugermaker, looking at your post is like reading a good book, just can't wait until the next set of pictures and what you've been working on and all the planning you put into your projects, thanks for taking the time to post all of the pictures I know I sure enjoy your post. One last thing you need to build the shed three time bigger just saying.Big smile
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 9:45pm
Discussion is fine, but the PICTURES are great and keep everyone coming back !
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 9:59pm
Folks,
 Slow day today. Never made it to town. Finished the j channel around the overhead doors. Also went to neighbors and he ripped some of the azak material into 1 5/8 strips to allow me to complete the insides of the overhead door jambs.
Mowed lawn too, which had not been done in several weeks.
I visited a new garage being built, lots of good ideas. I saw some 2 inch live edge used as window sills. Gave me the idea of using some of the 1 inch ash lumber I have for the window sills in the new shop.
Regards
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 04 Sep 2020 at 10:04pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 9:40pm
Folks,
 Less talk more pictures:
 Drone shots taken by Adam:

Regards,
Chris

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 3:43am
by golly...i'm thunking there might be sum room for a hot tub in there too?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 5:52am
yeah, too get the kinks outta the back.....man that's a LOT of shingles !!!!!

OK, I gotta know though, What's with the 'extra' roof on the red shed ???

You sure got a pretty place to live, kept LOTS of trees too !!

Hope you didn't get any rain damage last night, ripped through here kinda 'fast and furious'.
Jay

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 6:31am
Folks,
 Probably no hot tub!
 There are 32 sq of shingles IIRC.
The raised roof on the sugarhouse has two purposes. it is elevated about 3 feet to provide a loft area above a 8 foot ceiling lower kitchen area. Second and less obvious is that it is a artistic way to represent a cupola on a sugarhouse without having one. Kind of my Frank Lloyd wright version of a modern day sugarhouse. I have stacks taking out the steam rather than the conventional cupola.
Yes our trees have been reduced due to the maples dying over the last 15 years. Tried to keep as many as possible.
It doesnt look very good around the new building at this time due to lots of dirt being moved and grading work. 

Thought I better throw in some Allis pictures too.

Ok Fords too!

And Great Granddaughter Chloe She loved playing in Papa's dirt!

Thanks for checking in on me on this great Allis TRACTOR forum!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 07 Sep 2020 at 6:40am
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 6:52am
I hope it is not truly an Andrew lloyd Wright knockoff. I love his work but nothing of his is water tight! I can't remember ever visiting falling water without it it have closed off for repairs!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 7:17am
dr.p,
Good to hear from you! 

Maybe that's why they called it "falling water"!:) just saying........? Yes a architectural genius, but flat roof in Pennsylvania? Not so good! I went through Falling Water 50 years ago. Lots of natural rock, lots of glass, lots of cantilevered structure.  Pretty cool place to visit. But not really very homey in my opinion.
My sugarhouse has not leaked in 20 years! Knock on wood:) Also the lack of the original type open door cupola has eliminated the chance for rain to come in that area of the building. I do get a little rain trickling down the stack sometimes. But its just a old sugarhouse. 
Regards,
 Chris
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 12:09pm
It looks like a beautiful place to live.  I was wondering why folks don't use metal roofs?  I gave up on shingles years ago.  Metal lasts longer then I'll be around.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 2:46pm
I 2nd Johncolo about metal roof....After TWO shingle roofs I had Hy-Grade steel roof installed. Had I done that instead of the 1st shingle episode, I'd be 5K ahead.....

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by dr p dr p wrote:

I hope it is not truly an Andrew lloyd Wright knockoff. I love his work but nothing of his is water tight! I can't remember ever visiting falling water without it it have closed off for repairs!

From what I'v seen of FLW's work, he tries to make a statement.  As in a bank statement, or "I wouldn't wanna live there!"Wink

Not to be the correct police, but, its Frank Lloyd Wright, architect, Andrew Lloyd Webber, composer.  I think their both de-composers, now!WinkWink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 6:53am
Folks,
 Yes metal roofs are very good. A lot of very nice steel buildings in the area too. Good quality steel can last a life time or more. I have seen that first hand too.
I choose to have a shingle roof on this structure. Trying to get it to blend in a little better with the other buildings and the neighborhood too. 
Thanks for the recommendations! I do appreciate the feed back. It helps! Yes maybe I wont follow all the suggestions. So it comes down to personal preference, aesthetics, some gut feel, and some financial aspects.
Similar to me painting all my WD series tractors with cream wheel centers I guess. Smile

First project in there over last couple days. Just did complete brake job on the truck, including E brakes too. Not fun, but nice to have somewhere dry to work in.
Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 7:41am
All the rain that went through Ohio yesterday must have when south of you. We had 2.75" here my son south about 15 miles had 3.5" and they had a tornatoe sighted but no touch down. Up around Cleveland they reported as high as 5 " of rain
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 56>
  Share Topic