This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 56>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 8:05am
gee, I like the exposed conduit look ! It says 'here to WORK, not sit around and watch TV'.....

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Sponsored Links

Strokendiesel002 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 11:23am
I chose spray foam.Attached Garage is a hair under 1500 sq ft. They were in and out in 5 hours. What a difference that made.

They used open cell foam everywhere and then sprayed a vapor barrier on the ceiling. Nice thing is that the entire garage is in the sealed envelope. Due to the 3/4 wrap around porch, all my exhaust(water heater, furnace, dryer and radon) and intake are plumbed through the garage. To mitigate extra condensation build up, it was suggested to keep the area the plumbing is in as constant a temp as possible. Supposed to be only a 10 degree difference from the floor to the peak.

Fact? I dunno. I sure do like it though.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 8:47pm
Guys thanks for the suggestions on the insulation. I am sure the spray foam would be the correct thing to do. I can see how the cracks would all be sealed and the building should be able to be kept warm easier too. Like the PEX, I really need to consider this foam. I have a local guy that is going to give me a quote.

Started the drainage project today after two days of rain which we needed.

6 inch sch 35, some perforated some not. Bedded in 2B stone. The perforated sections got gravel to the top of the ditch.

Jim found the rock I had misplaced too! Landsacpe rock or headstone??:)

Worked to remove the lower truss section where the stairs will go.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 23 Oct 2020 at 6:54pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 7:24pm
Folks,
Not great rest last night as leg cramps had me up three times. I did get to work on the  final stair design.
Today I helped get the drains for in place for 1/2 of the project around the shop.

Also the Door guys showed up and hung the doors. They will be back to tomorrow to install the rest of the hardware and get the openers in place. 
Looks good so far I did not go high end on the doors. You can get some very fancy doors now days! 

12 foot door, We are getting the first test for rain right now too!

Jib crane clears the door tracks buy a foot. Almost seems like it was planned!:)

Worked on the stair way rough opening headers and details for nailers for walls and ceiling. Keep chipping away at it!
Hope things are good.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 25 Oct 2020 at 9:37pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Strokendiesel002 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 8:11pm
Sweet!
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 9:24pm
Looking good Chris.  You got it closed in so finishing the inside will be more comfortable whichever way you choose to go.  Good luck!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 6:08am
Now that the shop is enclosed you need to get the first 'project' bought.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 10:01am
How about insulation and heat before getting the first project
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 6:34pm
Folks,
 Would like to get the insulation in place too! Lots of moves and dollars also required.
I am happy to get these overhead doors in place and functioning. Some 110 wiring the get power to them, and they should be ready to go!

First looks at the 3/12 pitch roof rails:

Detailing the hardware:

Using special tightening tool to safely torque the springs:

Lift Master wall mount opener. Very impressed with these DC drives:

Details of the 45 corners and door final fit with seals:

East side of shop:

West side:

Local lumber yard had some pressure treated 2x4 x 8 ft material that I brought home for the base of a interior wall someday.
I have about 70% of the inside girts in place for wall material framing. I think I have almost enough material to finish the girts. Weather has turned cooler and some rain too, good to be under roof.

Thanks for checking in on me too!

Regards,
 Chris

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 9:02pm
Those are very nice doors.. not cheap.... The DC motors on the end of the roll up shaft is state of the art design.. Lot nicer than the old motor hanging in the center of the garage bay with a chain drive to the door.... Did they match up the DOOR OPENER buttons on your BIG TRUCK with the new doors ? Wink
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 11:15pm
where will my "little" apartment be in there?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 12:24am
Folks,
 Steve,
Will be getting a 4 button remote next week. Ahh Yes those are not a cheap date on the doors. It was recommended that the large door have the conventional trolley system opener in the center. Due to the size and weight of the door laying flat on the tracks. It is a Lift Master belt drive system and is very quiet also.

Theses are Wayne Dalton 8500 series doors, 16+ R value. (3 units at 9 x 12, and the 9 x 16) The DC openers seem real nice. Just cant set there and run them up and down. Yes a limit of 10 time max per hour or they will explode! Just found that out today after they were up!
I was going to install them but with the weather and other things I choose to have them put up. At this point I am very glad I did. Several adjustments had to be made to the hardware to get it to work in the low clearance areas. (10'2" floor to ceiling height and 9 foot doors)

Shameless,
The apartment is not done yet, so don't pack yet!:) But your welcome to visit anytime.

Side note: I can almost smell the grease and oil from a new project too! Trying to remain calm here!Smile Its all good Ted B!

I think I can start to bring tractors and things back in.

Regards,
Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 25 Oct 2020 at 12:27am
Herb(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herb(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 5:48am
Include Morton in your design considerations and cost analysis.  Include floor level, threaded anchor plates in your poured concrete floor for securing moveable hoists, etc. Herb)GA)
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 11:54am
Herb,
Humm? May be a little late?Smile I did have a quote from Morton. I didnt really care for their  roof trusses on 8 foot centers, Probably fine and engineered well too? I know they sell a lot of those buildings. Their price was somewhat higher than my estimates but I am not done yet. There timing was very good to erect a building. 
Regards,
 Chris
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 2:17pm
Beautiful building!  Only two problems, 1.  It needs to be at least 2 feet taller to get bigger machinery in and 2.  It's about 1600 miles too far away!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 4:50pm
Folks, John,
 Thanks! Something is going to have to set outside too. Like the camper. The building blocks out the sun now! I can only afford to have small projects now!Smile
Regards,
 Chris
Reindeer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reindeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 6:37pm
Looking awesome! You are getting close to the fun part, getting your tractors inside and having comfortable space to work in. Pretty nice during winter to be able to be warm and cosy and work on things!

Edited by Reindeer - 25 Oct 2020 at 6:38pm
67 D15 S2
83 5015
Several Kubotas'                     
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 9:31pm
Reindeer, Folks,
Thank You for the compliment!
 Yes looking forward to even just having my truck inside during bad weather!
 Worked on wall girts after a nap and taking the wife out for a nice dinner! She has been very patient with this project!
I would say I am about 80% complete with the wall girts. This extra material will allow the wall material to cover the top headers and bottom skirt boards. Should finish off the inside with a good clean look too.
I am going to try to go shopping, looking and pricing, for the inside wall materials prior to having the insulation even started. Foam or batton insulation? I am still up in the air.  Foam is the right thing to do to seal up any cracks!
Wow are those new doors smooth and quiet too!
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 6:11am
wow, now I'm REALLY jealous.....walls AND doors !!!
You may want to add a 'UPS' to your shopping list. If ( when..) the powers goes out, you need some way to open the doors ! I don't know if those openers have internal battery backup. I do know the 'rollup door' the contractor installed next door doesn't. He never considered that until I said,' OK, power goes out ..how do YOU get in or the breaker blows...(and it's INSIDE the shop?.)

re: foam vs batts. consider the TIME ( man DAYZE) to install batts and vap barrier) not just materials....that's a LOT of TALL walls to have to deal with.

Jay

Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 11:11am
Looking good Chris, Jay has two very good points
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 1:22pm
Folks,
 The door with the trolley opener has a battery back up. Not sure about the 8500 side openers??
I would like to get the spray foam if I can afford it. I really feel it is the right thing to do and reduce long term heating costs too.
I was setting having a cup of coffee in the shop this morning and just took some random shots.
Nic's WD:

This is the one with the battery back up.

This door has a minor adjustment necessary. The opening is just a tad to tall and the edge of the door was hitting it. I adjusted the top rollers a little. Seemed to help. May not be final, will have the installer look at it this week when he stops.

Just random shots"

time and temp on this opener. I now have to use the man doors. Haven't had to do that much yet. This is a test to see if I choose good locations!

I agree about the time to install materials too. I have been working on getting these wall girts in place for dayzes and dayzes too!

Thanks for checking on me! Was good to set a spell and have a cup of coffee too!
Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 2:07pm
nice, probably has that 'new wood/concrete' smell still...... sniff,sniff...

be sure there's nut&bolt 'stoppers' in all the garage door rails. I found out the hard way WHY they're supposed to be there. Cost me 50 Canucks that day....
I know foam is more up front, but 'do the math' . It IS better in the long run, saves a lot of $$$ in fuel costs..forever...

glad at least one door has battery backup ! I understand in that 'nutty' state ALL GDOs have to have batteries in them now....

Jay

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 8:41pm
Folks,
Jay,
 Yes the fresh cut SPF smell is a good thing. If I stayed with it I might have all the girt work done up into the loft at the stairs then I need to think about what I need to do for a partition wall where the high bay meets the low bay. I think I want a door there to be able to throw stuff out easily too!Smile
Finally got the truck back inside too.

Regards,
 Chris
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by JohnColo JohnColo wrote:

Beautiful building!  Only two problems, 1.  It needs to be at least 2 feet taller to get bigger machinery in and 2.  It's about 1600 miles too far away!

that don't work John,, I told him the same thing..
ac45dave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac45dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 10:54pm
Chris,  this has been an awesome thread to follow to say the least.One suggestion I have that hasn't, to my knowledge, been mentioned yet is an 1 1/2" to 2" empty conduit out the top of the c/b box, up into the overhead and capped off, before you insulate and cover the interior walls.You just never know when you might have to pull another circuit into the box in the future. I did this, at Dads suggestion, when I set up my shop years ago.
54 wd-45gas ; 56 wd-45d N/F w/fact p/s ; 63 d-17 sIII N/F gas ; 60 D14 N/F ; 67 d-17 sIV N/F gas ; 63D15 sII W/F; 39rc#667 ; 2021 massey 4710 fwa ; gravely 2 wheel tractors
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 11:13pm
that looks awesum Chris! oh...and you know...you won't be able to sit and listen to your truck rust if you park it inside with you!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 5:05am
Originally posted by ac45dave ac45dave wrote:

Chris,  this has been an awesome thread to follow to say the least.One suggestion I have that hasn't, to my knowledge, been mentioned yet is an 1 1/2" to 2" empty conduit out the top of the c/b box, up into the overhead and capped off, before you insulate and cover the interior walls.You just never know when you might have to pull another circuit into the box in the future. I did this, at Dads suggestion, when I set up my shop years ago.

I set TWO!!! 2" conduits, already fed thru one!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 6:49am
Originally posted by ac45dave ac45dave wrote:

Dave,
When are you going to stop by? Hey that suggestion is so funny. Last night my electrician, who happens to be our grandson, stopped by and was looking at how I mounted the panel box. He had a good suggestion that we needed to change some framing to get to the top of the box. A lot of the wiring will come out of there and he mentioned also a empty conduit above the ceiling in case we ever have to run another line. I think I will have him add TWO just in case! Thanks for the suggestion. Perfect timing. 
Now to go change the framing around the box.
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 6:54am
Dang,
 I answered Dave before I dropped down and read Mr Millers post! Must be great minds think alike! Thanks guys! TWO it is!

Shameless,
 I have had two warnings about this heat in the floor, that it will make everything in the building into a pile of rust within two years. Any comments from folks that may have heated floors and live in the salt belt too? Someone suggested as dehumidifier? Seem like it would have to be pretty good sized?

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 27 Oct 2020 at 7:56pm
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 9:53am
Chris,
     My experience: We put up a 32 x 56 x 12 pole building 2 yrs. ago, 4 in. fiberglass in the walls and ceiling, OSB on walls and ceiling, plastic under the concrete and overhead gas furnace. The  November poured concrete gave off a good bit of moisture for 6-8 months. Ran the furnace most of the winter while doing the interior work. When spring arrived I put a dehumidifier in the building; 50 pints per day rating. By the end of the summer it ran very little and seems dry inside.  Nothing has rusted yet at any rate. The doors are kept closed most of the time so that probably keeps the dehumidifier from running so much. The best deal I could find at the time was off the Walmart website. Delivered in 3 days. Seemed to me that once the concrete had fully cured and dried moisture wasn't much problem. Never heard of floor heat causing a rust problem around central Ohio and I know of a couple of farm shops with that style of heat.
     Hope all turns out OK, you certainly have a beautiful shop. Russell.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 56>
  Share Topic