This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 56>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 6:16am
re: PEX
Have one or 2 extra 'loops' added to the manifold,now, upfront....easier than later when you say' oh yeah...I forgot about......' , oopsy.....
otherwise system has to be shutdown, water drained, 'minor' mess, etc.
I know, you won't need them for 2-3 years but.......

New neighbour got a quote for 3 floors of PEX and 3.5ton A/C.......50,000 Canuck !!
he wasn't sitting down when the email came in....
Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Sponsored Links

tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 3:20pm
When I put my pex heat in the garage & shop we had a diagram drawn on laying the lines and my cousin and I did it all the plumbing supply had a ll the parts for us and we installed it using electric hot water heater. When I added the house we layed the lines and the manifolds and I hook up the feed lines and in stalled a electric boiler. When I changed over to gas I had it installed by the plumbing company. The main layout is easy to do.
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 9:02pm
Hey,Chris, I don't remember if anyone has mentioned putting a 'deadman' or 2 in the floor before you get all the pex and concrete done,, gotta give you something else to think about....

Edited by Michael V (NM) - 16 Sep 2020 at 9:03pm
allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Allis Tractor forum folks,
Some random pictures:
Cutting the hemlock ship lap to length:

drip angle on the bottom edge:

Still need to pick out the stain. Would like to find something with good longevity and minimal maintenance:

Floor is in the loft area:

Regards,
 Chris

Chris that is awesome! Where did you get Hemlock lumber? I have not seen it around here in Iowa for years.
Pastor Mike
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 7:47pm
Mike,
 We have several Amish saw mills in the area. Most are now using band saws. The Miller operation in Atlantic PA was where I got it. They are very busy and it took a couple months to get it the material.
I just ordered 1000 screws from Fastnal today. A smaller coated screw with a torx drive. 
Regards,
Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Michael V (NM) Michael V (NM) wrote:

Hey,Chris, I don't remember if anyone has mentioned putting a 'deadman' or 2 in the floor before you get all the pex and concrete done,, gotta give you something else to think about....

Michael,
 Do you mean something to fasten something to? Like a loop or something sticking up from the floor?
 Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 8:30pm
yea,, that's kinda what I mean. seen some in a neighbors shop long time ago, it was a stout chain below the top in like a 6" pipe that a cover could be put on,,,kinda down in a hole.. so,, anchor a chain,(basically under the floor) put a 4-6" long pipe over it with the top same level as the floor, this way nothing is sticking up above the floor... I hope that is little clearer than muddy water. maybe someone else can explain better,, shouldn't be much cost involved,,, more headache on where to put one or two...

Edited by Michael V (NM) - 17 Sep 2020 at 8:32pm
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 1:59am
Michael has a good idea there Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 6:27am
Folks,
 I kind of understand the idea of something to anchor something down to the floor. It is a good idea. I will have to think on that one. I can see some usage for that on project some times. 
We had something like that in one of the old barns. Used it to snub cattle if needed.
Location would be interesting to figure out.

Some shots from Wednesday:

These four wires were tough to get through the LB and into the house panel. I was pushing Nic was getting them into the box.

Back to the shop the Siemens 200 amp panel ready to mount:

Finally picked a spot:

First circuit, we have power!:

Regards,
Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 18 Sep 2020 at 11:09pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 7:50am
First power up makes it ALL worth the effort!!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 8:11am
Looks like a 20 AMP GFI.....
just need to get the coffee pot a-brew-in......Wink
once that's on, LOTS of 'free' helpers will show up...

Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 2:10pm
Yes anchor points to tie old engine blocks down to,Wink then the 20 ton jack pushing up to get the stuck pistons out.LOL Figuring where you want them is the hard part. If done right you will not know they are there. May not hardly use them, but now is when you decide if you want them.
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 3:40pm
I was waiting a day or so, before I chimed in here on the "Dead Man" in the concrete.  My thought that came to me was a Jimmy Hoffa thing!  Shameless might a stockholder or two??
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 5:07pm
hmm.. how about welding a couple clevises (sp) to the bottom of that huge,friggin steel post in the middle of the shop ?? If that EVER pops outta the ground, you got BIGGER problems than a stuck piston !

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 5:22pm
Re the tie downs, I'd place them in several places, near where engines would be worked on, throughout the shop...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 10:28pm
they work good to help change king pins too!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 10:30pm
naw Dave...i gots a backhoe that'll reach about 16 ft down....
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 1:06am
I thought you sold that JD backhoe in your back yard, didn't see it when I was there.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 8:46pm
Folks,
Well it was time to get going on this jib crane. Some wire brushing:

Plastic parts inside the bearings:

Getting set to raise the jib crane boom and support:

Pins went in and it swings easy. It is a little out of level but may work just fine. Had one of the cement guys on the end at 200 lb and it didn't budge.

Ready for cement:

Grading of the gravel for cement and drain work.

Do you guys like the trench drains or the smaller 9x9 square floor drains? Having a little trouble getting the trench drains matched up with the 4 inch Schedule 40 pipe.

Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 9:52pm
I didn't see them 'deadmans' in there,, you ought at least put one somewhere,, if ya having trouble understanding my description,, I'll see if I can draw you a picture....I figured there would be some pic on the 'net'...

Good to see your putting drains in

Trench type drains would be for a everyday working shop,, for your "hobby" type, the 9 X 9 should be fine..

Edited by Michael V (NM) - 19 Sep 2020 at 9:54pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 6:46am
Michael, Folks,
 I will think about the dead men feature. I have no idea where to put one or two to be of value?  Maybe as mentioned, near the jib base, could be a good spot??
Thanks for the comments on the drains. It had been recommended by my cement folks that I use the trench drains. A 3 foot in the north east bay and a 6 foot one in the south big bay. The connections to schedule 40 are not straight forward. I need to make a sleeve to go from the NDS trench drain to the Sch 40. Also the trench drains need to be bedded in first with concrete to have them set prior to the pour. The smaller 9x9 just set there and you pour around them. 
Also the sch 40 vertical riser is glued on and would have to be removed to get the trench drains on, a small oversight by the cement guys. Might not be easy or pretty to remove the glued in PVC pipe.

On a different note Eric, Adam, and I did finish the vinyl siding on the east side. If I get the missing window in this week for the west side, we may be able to complete all the vinyl.

Hope things are good! 
Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 9:18am
all I know about the floor is the MORE time you spend with the 'jumpinjack' the better the floor will be,and it'll last longer. Spending another 4-5 hrs may be boring but time well spent. It's another 'woulda/shoulda/coulda' things....

Edited by jaybmiller - 20 Sep 2020 at 9:19am

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 9:08pm
Jay, Folks,
 Well we used the jumping jack on the fresh dug areas and a plate tamper on all the other areas. They spent a lot of time checking grade and removing dirt. It was hard packed!
Best part of the day was lunch, pizza!

Drains in place. Foam is down. PEX arrives tomorrow. Much work to do to get ready for concrete by Sat**day morning.
But its looking better. The wife even commented that it looked better with the foam in place vs the dirt!

Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 9:35pm
lets see,,,, a small bathroom w/shower, place for a fridge and stove,small table, finda place for a bed,,, be way better than my house....uhhh, might need a desk for the puter so's I can keep up with my allis buddies...

lookin good there Chris,, but like I said when ya started this,,, its all in the wrong place,, needs to be about 1500 miles to the southwest....
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 1:54pm
Put foam around the edge against the treated lumber to help keep the frost out of the cement.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 2:52pm
Michael, tadams, Folks,
Thanks, Yes probably could be in several folks yard too. This is just a prototype. You can build yours to suit!Smile
I have 2 inches of foam in the bottom of the sill board assembly. Probably in hind site it could have been more in there too.
 Just opening packages from Blue Ridge with all the PEX products. VERY impressed with the quality and workmanship of the components! Exceeds my expectations. Have not started the tubing yet. getting ready to lay ou the floor.
 Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 3:09pm
Please, BEFORE the pour, walk around and CONFIRM you've got all the 'stuff' you want under the concrete done....it's a 'last chance' walk......take a few pictures, from every angle....
As for the PEX, I'd run 2 sensors per zone, in thin tubing to protect their wires, just to have a backup, in case the 1st sensor fails.
Kinda obvious but take MORE pictures , of the PEX layout, for future reference...
..minds get fuzzy after a few days... Nothing worse than someone drilling a Tapcon into PEX......DADT...

Jay

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 8:42pm
Jay, Folks,
Yes there will be a final walk through several times My cement guy cant get his crew together to do this pour. So plan B is to get another local finishing crew and they should be able to do this pour about first of October. 
I did get the parts for the PEX install:
Manifolds:

Stapler:

Pressure gage for testing the line at 50 PSI max.

I was very happy with the quality of the hardware from BlueRidge!

Working on the location of the manifolds and begin PEX layout and install in morning.

Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 8:42pm
Folks,
 Well I did not get any pex installed. Worked on wall system for the manifolds. Started the floor grid and the tubing locations.
Phone company was here and pulled the new lines through the conduit and got he phone back up. 
My friend will bring his digger truck over and remove the pole for me.

A shot from the upper deck:

and looking down the stairs:

Pex layout:

Zone 1:

Sweeps for pex.

Building manifold panel:

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 22 Sep 2020 at 8:44pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 8:46pm
Before you get 'committed', be sure to insulate BEHIND the manifold panel ! Then put note where electrical panel is going..'remember to insulate here ,too !!!'
Anyone got 'dibs' on the loft yet ???
Jay

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 56>
  Share Topic