This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 56>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 8:35pm
Chris, Your project is really going to be nice! And you must do a terrific job of picking up screws as well!
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 6:27am
Allisbred,
 Thanks!
 Is that because I am parking in there?:) I try to keep the job site cleaned up best I can. Something the work crew leaves me with after each event.
Off to get some rebar for the hole where the jib crane is going. If things work good I may have the hole, cement base, and rebar in place then post set,  to pour the concrete base by next Sat**day.
Have to find the 36 inch auger.

I love this ** thing! Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy!:)
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 03 Aug 2020 at 6:33am
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 12:24pm
It's looking just great Chris.  Still not big enough, but then you already knew that.  Yep, Shameless is correct, you GOTTA have a beer fridge in there.  You'll be spending a LOT of time in there when it gets done and you'll be enjoying it!  Good luck finishing it it this heat.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 1:47pm
When I put up my gaarage & Shop building I had a gin pole that fit the loader bucket and set the trust
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 4:30pm
Folks,
Trusses arrived as expected this morning:

8600 lbs of wood dumped in the driveway.

The end ones are in the middle of the stack. Need to get those out to do the sheeting and fly rafters.

I did get the north wall covered with OSB and the man door cut out. We had rain pass through twice.

Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 5:00pm
looks like the CREW is ready to go !!
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 5:19pm
I'd like to know how long before you can park in the center bay of the garage ! Looks kinda 'full'.......
nice to see progress
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 5:23pm
Looks st**dy...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 6:16pm
Jay, Folks,
 If you mean the center bay of the sugarhouse, filled with red oak? Well it isnt used for a garage just a wood shed. Only 10 foot deep. But that building is designed to allow the wall to be removed and the depth would be 26 feet. 

Yes the GG boys are good helpers. Cooper was bringing me nails to put up the sheeting.

Dave, 
 I tend to over build about everything.
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 8:41pm
Folks,
 Nice to have good neighbors that help and have equipment. We separated the truss pile, moving the 17 scissors trusses off,  and have the gable end trusses, out where I can work on them in the next day or so.
Sheeting, the overhangs, and one window can be framed in on these gable ends while on the ground. 
Regards,
Chris
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 10:12pm
A st**dy Sat**day? :)

I may be a little slow but I just now figured out why the forum is autodetecting those words!

Shop is coming along nicely!
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 10:47pm
OK, I give up, Why does the forum auto-detect those words?
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 4:52am
Originally posted by JohnColo JohnColo wrote:

OK, I give up, Why does the forum auto-detect those words?

Long and short of it is, is a certain word, that is commonly used to describe members of a certain political party that starts with a d, was in fact used commonly to describe the party in question.  One of the party members complained and complained, and we finally got this st**dy new system.  Can I identify this member?  I have a pretty good idea, but don't want to bring politics up here.  What happens in the basement stays in the basement, mostly...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 6:50am
Folks,
The carnage after last nights moves in the dark. Looks like a tornado went through!:)

End truss's where we can sheet it now.

A little hard to see here but the loft trusses are on the bottom. 7'2" head room. 2 x 10 bottom cord x 16 foot long.

Rain should let up in a couple hours and I can start some work on these.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 04 Aug 2020 at 6:51am
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 8:54am
Very nice!  When you get this thing finished you could probably travel the country building shops/toy-boxes for the Allis addicted! Thinking Iowa should be your first stop.
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 1:04pm
I have a feeling that after this project is finished, Chris will want to retire, again!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 1:32pm
I already feel like I Should!!  Retire Again!!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 1:33pm
Need to build a Hay Shelter Here, need to do a LOT of things Here where wish I had enough money to do all I need to do here!!

tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 2:54pm
Your coming along rather fast next thing you won't know what to do with alll your free time.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 8:14pm
Guys,
Thanks for the support! The tractors have been set aside for this big building project.
Today I picked up lumber and made supports for the walk way scaffolding to be set on. Builder has two 30 foot aluminum scaffolds.
I will straighten and brace the load bearing walls tomorrow. 
Also have to rent the 30 inch or 36 inch auger for the hole for the jib crane.
We plan to work Friday to have the trusses ready. Will try to set these on Sat**day morning with the crane. 
After that the roof sheeting and then ice guard, titanium and the shingles.

GG sons working the low wood!

Will pick up more lumber for bracing the posts/ walls tomorrow.

Regards,
 Chris 

Edited by Sugarmaker - 04 Aug 2020 at 8:17pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 8:30pm
Folks,
 Somehow I consume the days with the GG sons and a little work on the shop.Using the Jubilee and the WZ as anchor points to pull the walls to the string line. (straighten and braced ready for layout).

Will pick up a 36 inch auger tomorrow and get the drilled hole for the jib crane.
Just what I need a project inside a project!
 Friday we will get the two end trusses ready, layout the top rails for the truss spacing, and prep for setting all the trusses Sat. morning.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 05 Aug 2020 at 8:32pm
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 12:30pm
did you notice how it shrunk as the walls went up?
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 2:24pm
Always do, then add something Inside and those walls walk closer together!!  Shrinkage, happens to the best of us.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 8:55pm
Folks,
 Yes I agree! Shrinkage has happened! I thought this was going to be big too!
Some progress on my sub project:

About 6 feet deep x 36 inch dia.

Built a cage2 foot dia. with 1/2 inch rebar:

Filled with 12, 80 lb bags of cement that got me to 4' 9" of the jib crane post to be below finished floor:

Will work on getting trusses ready tomorrow.

Regards,
 Chris

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 5:57am
I,um, supose, it's a little late ,but, ah, did you 'bell shape' the bottom of the hole by any chance ??
When you pour the floor, be sure to add rebar in a  tic-tac-tow or sunburst 'grid', tied to the vertical rebars to add more strength to the base. The 'floor' around the base probably should be 8-12" thick, not just the regular 4" 'floor' ???

hmm.. if there's a chance you might want power on the post, maybe lay in a 1" conduit BEFORE the final 'floor pour' ??
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 9:26pm
Jay, Folks,
 Thanks you for the good suggestions. My cement guy will have extra concrete thickness and a expansion joint around the post. The vertical rebar legs will tie in with the floor when poured too. This was my crude attempt to get some added reinforcing in the hole.
Will be happy if we have good weather and a safe time getting the trusses in place tomorrow.
Here I am working on the 1 foot over hangs on the gable end trusses.

Some jib crane action:

Poured another yard of concrete around the post, should be a stout base.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 07 Aug 2020 at 9:42pm
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 7:25am
     That crane base looks pretty heavy duty; bet it stays in place. Keep the pictures coming, we enjoy seeing your project grow. I might even learn something about construction. Just stay safe.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 8:11am
Nice hat.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 10:11pm
Folks,
Some updates:
Sat. morning 8:00 Crane was pulling back out of the drive at noon!

Set both gable ends of the building first. That took some time because we had to set up ladders inside and out to use large screws to fasten to the posts.

scissors trusses 17 units, set two at a time.

Storage trusses being set. There was a double one where the stairs will be built in.

Son Eric walking the trusses to add temp bracing:

Note that we did miss the jib crane post! Yea!:)

By 11:30 all the trusses were secured:

Half of the west side roof has sheeting in place.
Worked on details today and cleaned up the work area too.

I did some things like clean up the WD rear drive bearing races on the jib crane, grease the bearings and set them in place. 

Put up three sheets of 5/8 osb in the floor of the loft, just to see how it would look and feel. The extra dollars for these features seems to be behind me and I like the loft idea.  The 3x3 window  on the north end looks like it should work good too.

Looking into the scissors trusses from the loft:

View from the road:

West side by Sat. evening:

East side: Eric and I got the fascia boards up on this side today too. Ready for sheeting.

Thanks for checking on me!

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 09 Aug 2020 at 10:17pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 6:10am
JUST a suggestion, may not even want to consider.  When pour the Floor, do yourself a BIG favor and set either a square, hexagon, octagon or circle separator seam of plywood, foam board, the old black expansion joint for concrete (4 ft 6 ft however big you wish)of some form around the base of the crane post, IF and heaven Forbid, it would teeter or need to be removed so does not destroy the remaining floor.

Edited by DMiller - 10 Aug 2020 at 6:11am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 56>
  Share Topic