This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ca hydraulic pump

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 5:32pm
If I do the temp plate I know I have some cheap supers 303 oil to get rid of...🤪( To use to flush transmission out)
Sponsored Links

Dartguy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dartguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 5:40pm
Mack, is the shaft that holds the cam followers pressed in? I cannot see any clips or pins securing it into place. Thanks. Smile
I did go ahead and tap it out with a long drift punch. I wanted to make sure it wasn't locked in place somehow and end up breaking something. thanks to all

Edited by Dartguy - 29 Mar 2020 at 8:36pm
Hunt4Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 5:49pm
They are not hard to remove ( I used a 3lb hammer and a large punch, just a little tappy,tap)
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 8:00am
Drive it out with a hammer and soft punch.      MACK
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 1:02pm
Just the pressure of springs against the lever keeping pin in place..Inside housing it is "captured" and cant get our of place.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 5:21pm
Made a temporary cover
What would be best to put in and let slosh around for a short drive up and back on driveway?( Trans/ hydraulic oil or diesel fuel)?
Nothing fancy but just want the cleanest area I can get with all the time and effort and small money amount invested to limit re contamination...( Plan on driving 300' total to help wash any remaining junk out of areas I can't spray brake cleaner, like the differential area I'm thinking...)
Thanks Matt
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 11:38am
Ended up getting this sealer and I'm wondering if I should even use any?
If using this in conjunction with the gaskets provided by Sandy lake where do I apply it( it says the sealer is to be used to hold gaskets in place while reassembling but I don't really see the need for that as I can tell where these will be sitting and how they look before I completely tighten everything down)
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 1:50pm
Matt - nifty temporary plate! Let us know how the cleanup goes.

I asked Bill at Sandy Lake about that question this morning. He uses copper spray on gasket sealer. Otherwise you get leaks......

Dave
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 2:31pm
Copper spray on gasket sealer?( You mean copper spray on gasket?)
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 3:54pm
Yup. Like this: http://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/gasket-sealants/permatex-copper-spray-a-gasket-hi-temp-sealant/ Don't think we need the hi-temp version, but I'm not seeing a low-temp option! Smile
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 4:35pm
Ok thanks for info on spray
Here's my "temporary plate" made from an old piece of pine board(it actually did not even drip from anywhere around this board) sealed up real nice...
So I refilled with the super 303 junk just to get rid of it since I won't be using it anymore in any of my tractor's after reading how bad it is of an oil, drove it up and back my driveway about 3 or 400 ft hit all the gears including reverse just to really try to clean it up inside the best I could (I will admit in 4th gear it's a scary feeling on a bumpy gravel driveway and the neighbors probably think I'm crazy now but it doesn't matter!!!) Backed the tractor into my shop and drained oil and it still looks this bad...(I'm now tempted to fill it with either diesel fuel or kerosene like somebody had recommended they did when they used to work on these old tractors to really give it a good washing inside so to speak)
The third picture is my gasket kit that just came as I was finishing all that up from Sandy lake ( thanks Brenda and Bill!)

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 5:08pm
Maybe try it again with the 303 oil and see if it improves? How does the inside of the pump reservoir look now? Do you know how much water was hiding in the tranny? Might help to know how much water has to be added to the oil to turn it brown....take a known amount of the oil and start adding water to it and shake it each time to see when it starts to turn brown. One other thought: there may be pockets in the tranny that are hold oil/water but not draining. You could pull the side cover off tranny case and wash it down with something that will dissolve the oil, then carefully use compressed air to blow liquid out of the hidey holes.

Edited by Dave(inMA) - 30 Mar 2020 at 5:18pm
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 5:42pm
Before I came in the house curiosity got to me and I had to dump some cleaned oil in there to see what came out with the drain plug out. at first it was milky and then it turned to more clear looking oil...
I may pull the side cover just to have a look at other area in differential.
I did not pull my temporary cover off so I don't know what is left in that area yet because like I say I'm tempted to put something else in there that would act more as a flush but I'm not sure what would be the correct thing to use?

I could spend a couple days cleaning all the oil and crud off of underneath the plate but it's just not my main concern just yet...(I think this hydraulic leak has been going on for about 30 years by the way everything is covered on the outside at the rear of the tractor)

I bought this tractor 2 years ago and so far I've put new spin-out rims on the rear tires and got all of them operating with my old parts.(also got two good front tires on it that hold air)

Thanks Matt

Edited by Hunt4Allis - 30 Mar 2020 at 5:47pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 5:41am
Sounds as though the tranny case is getting clean. I think you'd be fine using diesel to rinse the tranny case as long as the tractor isn't running. You can remove the side cover to give you access. The shift forks are attached to that cover. Have the tractor in neutral when you remove the cover and make sure that you know where the gears and collars are in neutral in case you move something while flushing the case and contents. Use a spray bottle to flush. Have the collars lined up correctly when reinstalling the side cover and shift forks....the forks need to engage the shift lever so it needs to be in neutral position when you do this. I'm remembering all this from when I worked on the tranny years ago - it was popping out of third back then.
WC, CA, D14, WD45
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 5:59am
re: make sure that you know where the gears and collars are in neutral

THAT's why digital cameras where invented !!! clean your hands THEN take lots of pictures, some from different angles.

I like the srpay bottle of diesel to clean idea !

When I rebuilt a JD HST, I left the 'drained' case over a pan with some paper towels in it overnight. Next day the towels were SOAKED in 'extra' oil that had slooooooowly seeped out of the case. The problem with oil and 'watery oil' is it takes a lot of time to drain. if you can, keep bucket under it for 2-3 days..longer is better.

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 6:57am
I had a reply on here or a different thread and it may have been yours Dave m, that said they used to put kerosene in when they were really dirty and I thought he said drive them around the yard at his shop. I could not find this post again. I'm wondering if driving around a short distance would hurt anything or if just putting it in leaving it sit overnight and then emptying it would be the best thing?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 10:27am
Not sure whose post that might have been - but not mine! Big smile
WC, CA, D14, WD45
cdsloop View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdsloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 11:36am
Forgive me for asking, but you are pulling all three plugs and draining each well when you are changing the fluid, correct? It surprises me that you are getting such contaminated fluid after the first complete drain. It will cross contaminate if you don't drain all three cavities...
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 11:44am
I'm sure that Hunt4Allis will forgive you, cdsloop. That could be the issue..are you referring to tranny, differential, and pto housing?

Thanks.
Dave

Edited by Dave(inMA) - 31 Mar 2020 at 11:52am
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 11:53am
I removed the rearmost drain plug that is a magnetic type I believe and one other one that is at the very lowest point that I could find. Where is the third drain plug that I need to drain from?
cdsloop View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cdsloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 12:16pm
It has been 20 years or more since I have been close to a CA, my most recent experience is with a B. But there should be a drain on the PTO, the transmission, and near the rearmost section of the torque tube.

Edited by cdsloop - 31 Mar 2020 at 12:37pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 2:00pm

Okay so I got the larger sections removed from my pump which is the very last thing that I can take apart to ensure everything is as clean as I can get it shown in the pictures above...

You can see the slots that I'm referring to that are cut into the sleeves (above the majic marker#18 picture)they are perpendicular to how the plungers run through the length of them along with the various holes that are perpendicular.(you need to zoom in to see what I'm talking about) they look like keyways on the end of each sleeve...

my question is does it matter the orientation/ "rotation wise speaking" of the slots and holes that are in these plugs that the smaller plugs go inside of or will the hydraulic pressure find and Orient these the way they need to be?(the parts I'm referring to our number 34 which there's only one of, and number 32 with there are three of on the exploded view I'm showing below)

Thanks Matt 👍

Edited by Hunt4Allis - 31 Mar 2020 at 5:40pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 6:27pm
Here's hopefully a clear picture so you can actually see the part numbers I'm referring to because once I posted the previous about the exploded view I tried viewing it and it's all blurry...
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by cdsloop cdsloop wrote:

It has been 20 years or more since I have been close to a CA, my most recent experience is with a B. But there should be a drain on the PTO, the transmission, and near the rearmost section of the torque tube.

Thank you so much CDsloop!!!
Because of your reply I realized I was not removing the farthest most forward drain plug and that's where all of the milky looking oil was left when I pulled it out there was a lot of nasty-looking oil that came out today.

So now again I will add more oil end drive it around a bit and drain again but now this time will be three plugs that get removed 🤪
Thanks Matt
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 9:14pm
It shouldn't matter where the slot is turned, I've always turned them to top from habit.     MACK
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 9:23pm
Ok, it just seamed like these slots lined up with holes drilled through pump housing that connected other portions of the pump.
Thanks Matt
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 4:47pm
I made some progress today getting my pump back together and may be able to bolt everything back up to the tractor and see how it works over the next couple days.
Thanks for everyone's help and information!

Edited by Hunt4Allis - 01 Apr 2020 at 4:48pm
cdsloop View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdsloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 7:21pm
I thought that oil was terribly dirty to have just been changed. Glad to help! Sounds like you are making some progress now.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 7:36pm
Yup, and after all back together I then need to swap my NF to a WF end then install the trip loader to help clean up the pasture...
( Just a constantly evolving project it seams, but fun) I wouldn't do any of this if I didn't enjoy making old things work again 😉
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by MACK MACK wrote:

It shouldn't matter where the slot is turned, I've always turned them to top from habit.     MACK
Yep. That doesn't matter
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic