This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advice on equipment needed for farming

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad jim macafee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice on equipment needed for farming
    Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 3:43am
My father in laws renters decided that they are not going to farm any more. The land +or- 40 acres came out of crp 2 years ago and has been moldboarded and planted to beans both years. There some hills and a 5 acre pond in the middle of it.i go to a lot of auctions when im not working(masonry)and need to figure out what i can pull with our ac 180 and be somewhat efficient. Were planning on doing alfalfa hay squares for second and third cutting and big rounds for the first. We'll be putting about half of it out to corn as well. The first thing we need is a manure spreader, as we are 4+ years behind schedule (a crappy situation) for getting it out of our steer lot. It has straw in it as well. I was told not to get a tandem axle spreader by a friend because we will inevitably overload it and not be able to pull. What size or models of brown gold distributers should i be looking for?
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 4:40am
Around here, I'd go with New holland, they were the most popular, and would still be able to get parts for.  Triple beater grinds it up fine, but if it has plastic twine in the sh!t, you'll be cuttin it off the top beaters , a lot!  Good luck!Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Mad jim macafee View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad jim macafee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 4:54am
Going to the 6th auction this year tomorrow. I just wish i had known sooner about them not renting the ground anymore. Here's my list of things i need to get so far:

Spreader,disc,haybine,hayrake,square baler (saw a really nice allis chalmers one go for $750 and still kicking myself for not bidding), id also like to get an accumulater and grapple for the skicloader, cultipacker, corn planter, two row picker, a 4 bottom plow, and a new barn to put it all in.
Tenn allis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tenn allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 5:01am
Speaking from experience we have a 500 cow dairy we clean up our hay rings once a year there’s a rock base and we don’t move the rings so there’s a lot of long hay and manure. Don’t buy a v bottom spreader the hay and straw will just wrap on the auger. Whatever you buy get one with a top beater one bottom and a smaller one on top. If you get a single beater it will just dig out under the heap of crap and cause problems. Especially if it has long hay in it. It will slip the clutch or sheer the pin and then you have to get the fork out. We use a H&S 370 with hydraulic apron drive and a 450 hydra push spreader. You could get vertical beaters but they are pricey. Hydraulic drive let’s you slow down the rate of unload so the beaters can tear it apart and do a good job of spreading. Older spreaders are not aggressive enough to tear it apart in my experience
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 5:32am
For what you are doing, I’d look for a New Idea 214 or New Holland ( several numbers around that size). Stick with singe axle or you most likely will not pull it up hill. Check the axle out good on the older New Holland’s as they were installed upside down and have a tendency to rust out from the inside. Both are very good spreaders for dry media at lower price points. As said, more bars are better for spreading and hold plastic twine. That’s why we don’t use plastic on round bales in the feed lot.
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 6:29am
If you drew the short straw as one of the boys on our dairy, you got to clean the beaters of twine as a kid. Hated cleaning that JD33 as it had the barrel beater and happy the day came when that barrel dropped off in the field, that one became the rock pickin trailer as the stone boat was finally parked.
New 140 Knight, then years later a Knight 180, biggest we could use as stored on the barn floor to prevent freezing in winter.
All steel vs. the JD with wood floor/sides as those Knights held up well, spread evenly to boot.
Worked for a neighbor as a teen, ran a big NH barrel unit and I could make that thing bounce when near empty on a 80hp SAME 4WD. They could hold liquids well but between those large bearings front and rear needing changed almost yearly and replacing sling chains with the small piece of angle iron on the chain ends they went out of favor within five years in our area.
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 7:29am
#1 consideration is what is the budget?
Ben (MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben (MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 7:59am
For your situation you might consider forgetting about the plow and finding a JD 7000 planter set up for no till. I have been no tilling 150 plus acres of corn and soybeans for about 10 years. Many times I have planted directly into burned down sod with very good results. Soil type is a consideration, the lighter the better. However, I have seen good crops in no till clay. Way back, I pulled a 4-16 plow with packer, 14' tandem disk, 12' field cultivator and 6 row planter with a 180 diesel. Good luck with farming!
Part time farming with a 1980 7060 and 1984 F3 hydro.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 8:18am
obviously missing from the list..
Another  180 !!!!
Saves on 'downtime', allows 2 farmers to get more done in less time, and well you 'need' more tractors....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 9:28am
With todays cost of inputs------look for another renter and save all the headaches and heartaches of it! Your looking at MAJOR money out and no return back on it! --- Tread lightly and carefully my friend!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 10:09am
as far as cleaning out your steer lot hire it done. We had the 20 year old manure pile spread at the farm 2 years ago its was a very big pile 200 cows for 20 years. it took the guy with a quadtrack a spreader and real big payloader 2 weeks 160 loads  and we just kept farming as usual. when we started the smaller pile at the outer farm we never did get it finished we could only get a load or two out before something else came up and wed stop and go fix some other more pressing problem. we still have about 20 loads left out of the pole barn pile to move.  this year the man that dozed out the winter feed lot only took 20 triaxle dump truck loads of manure as payment. was a big win for us.  we try to remove the twine when we fill the feeders but some always gets out to the field.
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 10:47am
Originally posted by ac fleet ac fleet wrote:

With todays cost of inputs------look for another renter and save all the headaches and heartaches of it! Your looking at MAJOR money out and no return back on it! --- Tread lightly and carefully my friend!

^^^^
this is good advice...

If you are set on farming, time is short now to get things rolling,, I would really try to find another renter( maybe set up on a yearly contract) this way it will give you time to look for the things you need.
some things could be hired out,, that may be less cost than owning the equipment, and get things done in a timely fashion,, sometimes ya can't wait ...
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad jim macafee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 12:49pm
Ii feel like we can rent some out to other family members with all of the hay equipment, and corn planting stuff, but were still out half of it if we do it on shares. We really want to have hay and corn on hand for our cattle. And sell some rounds and squares through the winter.

You see, we have 28 head of cattle and are sick of buying hay and corn. I used to feed out steers in tubs by bucket. I got tired of it, and was fortunate enough to pick up a 2 ton steer stuffer (very clean!!!) For $150 at an auction. Then bought a feed grinder for $500 (paint still on the knives), then a 115 bushel grain truck for $1200. We can now feed out steers at 1/3 the cost of buying feed from the elevator. Owned the equipment for over a year and it has definitely paid for itself. I just want to be able to have it on hand and store it rather than be at the mercy of market price of $4+ bushel corn or hay prices at the end of February...
Ky.Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ky.Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 12:50pm
I have to agree---Find another renter.
2 things to remember:
Farming is a rewarding career-just not financially.
There's good money in almost all farm commodities-just not for the farmer.
WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 12:57pm

FOR 35 acres rent it out or just plant in hay.

Rent a spreader.
Fred Dunlop, G,B,CA, WC,WF, 3 WD45`s,gas, diesel and LP,U,D10 series III, D12,D14,D15 SERIES II,D17 Series IV in Gas and Diesel ,D19 GAS and D21,170 185,210 ,220 an I-600 8070 fwd, 716H and 1920H
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad jim macafee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 1:04pm
My idea for a budget is picking it up at auction as i can buy it over time...
Joe(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 1:28pm
You can do it.  Spreader wise I would look for a tandem axle because they usually sell cheaper than a single.  The hobby guys want a single axle and the big guys arnt  interested in the older tandems.  A New Idea 244 is a good sized spreader.  
  Picker wise you could get by with a one row if you find the right deal.  A New Idea 310 or 323 in go with a one row.  A 324 for two row wide or 325 for two row narrow.  

Good luck!  
Life is simpler when you plow around the stump.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Mad jim macafee Mad jim macafee wrote:

My idea for a budget is picking it up at auction as i can buy it over time...
Sounds like you got budget figured - good for you. Going the auction route takes time & patience. But that ok if money is tight.
Going hay alone would be easiest. Yeah, you might consider buying $4 corn grain from local elevator for a year or two?? That’d give you more time to gather auction items for corn farming, JD7000, Gleaner E/K(2row) combine, disk/FC/plow, & etc.
In meantime, manure could spread on hay ground. Growing corn can be expensive (seed, fertilizers, herbicides,etc)& a difficult year(bad weather) could be more expensive? If later corn price go up, manure becomes a major nitrogen savings.
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 6:56pm
I really like the hydra push spreaders. You only have to lie under a spreader on a freezing day once trying to fix a broken table chain. If you have a day job ,don't under estimate how valuable your free time is. Fixing older equipment can turn an enjoyable adventure into a burden
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 7:38pm
Right now medium sized equipment is dirt cheap. All these 150 cow family dairy farms going out has really depressed prices.
Learning AC...slowly
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad jim macafee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 7:54pm
Thank you everyone for the input! I didn't figure on getting this much back in a day. I will be checking on a spreader tomorrow. Not sure if ill buy or not, if not another will come along.
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 10:43pm
Ease into it slowly and don't jump in all at once. This year just do small squares or large round bails. Next year add the other one. The third year add the row crop. Time is short so you need to focus on just one.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad jim macafee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 7:09am
We have family with equipment to do everything we need to do. Really nice hay setup for rounds and small squares. Their outfit for squares is super slick! Accumulator and grapple for a skid steer. If we can sell off some of the hay and save up to get our own, i feel that would be a good bet.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 8:39am
Around here equipment for what you want to do is non-exist! ---- Hope you have it in your area! I have a NI 310 one row picker, ( last one in this area) and they pick a lot of corn, so don't pass one up if they can be found in your area. On that note,--- do you have a crib for ear corn storage?---shelled corn storage? ----- That would have to come before corn planted in the field. ---- I'm just thinking out loud here! ---- stirring the pot so to speak. lol!!
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad jim macafee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 8:12pm
Ok,so we bought the spreader. Its an international 540 that sat in a barn fom the 70s to 2015 or 16. Then deck was replaced and it was run in the field a couple dozen times. T links and beater looks ok. Slop gate fell off less than a quarter mile down the road though. We probably wont use it, but will repair it just in case. Pulled it home at 50mph no problem. $600.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad jim macafee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 8:16pm
Was about an hour and a half drve back and checked the hubs for heat. The weren't even warm when we pulled in the drive.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad jim macafee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 8:23pm
Someone had corn cribs they were going to sell us for $500 for the pair.
Dkienzle View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dkienzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 9:13pm
Have some one custom farm it for you. The corn and hay. As you make some money buy the things you need with cash. Buying all that equipment for 30 head of feeders and 35 acres isn't gonna make much money.
JOHN N/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOHN N/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 1:34pm
Where are you located jim I might have some equipment for your 180
D-15IIG65,D-17IVG67,D-17D58,620
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 6:36pm
The big wire cribs sold for $50. here. I bought many to get the panels for cattle feed lot fencing.  I would think  $500. is way too high, but IF that is what they sell for in your area, then I guess that's what you will have to pay!
Be careful when taking them down and moving them! ---They flimsy as heck once the bolts start coming out! LOL!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic