This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did I do studied this time

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What did I do studied this time
    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 7:11pm
I had some spare time in between patients today so I decided to install the new radiator for the wd 45 today. The blade of the fan in hitting the lower radiator hose. Not a lot but enough that it won't work like this. It is not the clamp it is hitting, it is the hose. I have the correct mounting holes for the radiator and the water pump is fine. It is a new radiator with made in China labeled right across the front but I am not ready to blame that. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links

dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 7:12pm
Stupid this time
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 7:39pm
Could possibly be the Chinese rad - the land of ALMOST perfect.  They can get things close, but never exact it seems.  Perhaps the bottom outlet was not built out to be close enough to the engine and your hose is going down on an angle toward the front of the tractor, causing the blade to hit it.  Just guessing - I am not there to see for myself.

I have heard several of these overseas rads have fitment issues.  That's why I prefer to get the originals recored.

On another note, you might want to make sure you have the fan installed in the proper direction.  Could be your problem as well.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 8:39pm
Thatis exactly what it looks like. Like it is an inch too short!
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 8:44pm
Can you jack up the rad with some spacers? Side bolt locations OK? Does it match the old core dimensions for the hose outlet?
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 10:50pm
Have the old one to measure / compare neck length? Enough play in shroud bolts to slip rearward?
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 1:06am
Already scrapped the original when I couldn't find someone to record it. Chris, think if use spacers that will make it worse. What if I use a washer between the fan and the pump to bring the fan forward but that feels like a Cobb job. Think I will pull the radiator off th wd45 with the picker to compare.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 4:45am
I think I'd play with the hose, take the one you have, and zip-tie it out, a little, to start.  I think a lot of AC tractors had 2 lower hoses, and a metal corner, that has a drain plug, right at the corner of the metal part..Wink

Edited by DiyDave - 28 Feb 2020 at 4:46am
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 6:21pm
Don't push the hose so far on only need to be on far enough for clamp to hold it that may change your clearances also sometimes a little twist in one direction or the other can change things. Is it the old hose or a new hose?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 6:27pm
The lower hose should almost (not quite) touch the front of the engine. I think the lower neck is made wrong.
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 6:47pm
Dr allis is correct. I pulled the other radiator and the distance from the core to the center of the lower spout is 3/4 shorter. Must have been a translation error into mandarin. WHY CAN'T WE JUST MAKE STUFF HERE?
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 7:31am
Is this a radiator with the new improved cast neck?
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 5:45pm
You might be able to drill or file the mounting holes on the rad to slide it that much, but that could affect shroud mounting.  Its a bad deal, to buy china junk, chalk it up to experience, if it can't be modified...Cry
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 8:17pm
So d series had an interesting idea. You can't shim the fan but you can flip it. It solves the problem with hitting the hose and the shroud. Will it pull air through the fan or just push less efficiently? And does it matter
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 4:51am
Another thing you could try is to find an electric fan kit, and take the fan blade off...Wink
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 6:39am
re: WHY CAN'T WE JUST MAKE STUFF HERE ?

simple answer ...NO money in it  !
Let's make a rad... 3 core, old school, a TRUE replacement
First you need some materials like copper and steel $$
Now you need tooling to make the fins and tubes.... $$$$$$
Now solder them together...ooopsy...
EPA rules kick in... solder = bad..
OK, IF you pay $$$$ you can make them...
hmm, have to ake 1,000 rad to break even, only sold 15..
Overseas 'they' have no EPA and cheap labour.....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
levipatch View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levipatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 7:28am
Just die grind half in so or whats needed off each blade .. It will never kno the difference. Try to do the same amount off each blade for balance...Slow as it turns wont matter much within reason....
Billy..Big cam 300, bcam 400,,941 CAT.,,Deere excavator..900 row crop.. 66 D 17 diesel IV... 985 Pratt and Whitney..4360 Pratt and Whitney... gitten tired !
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 9:23am
Originally posted by dr p dr p wrote:

So d series had an interesting idea. You can't shim the fan but you can flip it. It solves the problem with hitting the hose and the shroud. Will it pull air through the fan or just push less efficiently? And does it matter

I am not recommending to turn the fan around.  I am telling you to confirm that you have it on the correct way already.

I definitely do not recommend trimming the blades down as mentioned above either. It doesn't take much to throw the balance off something spinning at 1400 RPM.  Even though the blades are already the same length from the factory, you might see small round discs on some blades - those are counter weights to keep things balanced.  Cutting the same amount off each blade does not guarantee it will still be balanced.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 9:32am
Post a picture of the two hoses with the elbow and drain to switch from a mental view to a visual view of your problem.
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 9:43am
If, in the end, it becomes necessary to trim the blades, it should be fairly easy to balance them. 
I think one of those "pin" type lawn mower blade balancers should work....... a
lawn mower blade spins a lot faster than your fan blade.
Balancing it on a nail on the wall probably ain't gonna get it!  LOL
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 9:44am
Originally posted by dr p dr p wrote:

Dr allis is correct. I pulled the other radiator and the distance from the core to the center of the lower spout is 3/4 shorter. Must have been a translation error into mandarin. WHY CAN'T WE JUST MAKE STUFF HERE?
You are probably right about something wrong but you can't go strictly by core set back. The China one I replaced original WD one with has different core position relative to fan.
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 6:00pm
I think I may have it. How many blades should there be on a fan for a wd45. My one 45 has 4 blades, the one I am fighting with has 5
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic