This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Opinions on HD6AG / HG6B and HD11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donskokie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Opinions on HD6AG / HG6B and HD11
    Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 9:38am
I have been looking for a crawler tractor to purchase to use on our property. I'm primarily looking at ones that have a cab as I would like to have my three year old daughter enjoy working with me. I have very little knowledge on crawlers other than a little time on a D6. 

Yesterday I drove several hours away to look at a HD6AG and a HG6B. The guy had listed the HD6AG for sale on Craigslist. http://eastidaho.craigslist.org/grd/d/rockland-hd-6/7044304990.html

Serial number on HD11AG is 20783. He said it hasn't run since I believe 2007. Said that water got down the exhaust and seized the engine. Looking at it the turbo mount has rusted through. The oil is black, but doesn't have any water in it and the radiator fluid is full and clean.  From what I can tell the undercarriage looks in decent shape. He said it does move in neutral.  Doesn't have a blade or hydraulic pump. Hours showing on it was around 2200. Has it listed for $3500. 

Serial number on the HD6B is 15147. He said it does run, was using it last year to build a damn. Hasn't run this year as batteries are out of it. It does have a blade and hydraulics, but they aren't currently installed. Undercarriage looks a little worn. Machine as a whole looks rough compared to the HD6AG. Didn't look at the hours gauge. Seller would like $8000 for it and the HD6AG. 

Next weekend I'm supposed to go look at a 1965 HD11 in Washington. http://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2731693656910269/ Seller says it runs good, has some new parts, air conditioning needs work or charged and one roller weeps. It doesn't have a blade. Doesn't know the hours on it. Seller is asking $6500 OBO.

From my research on the internet there are some parts available such as replacement turbo for the HD6AG, but others are rare or no longer available. I live in Boise, ID and there is General Gear & Machine here that has some of the HD6 and HD11 new parts as well as a huge yard of machines. 

HD6s I could get bother-in-laws trailer to haul, the HD11 I would have to hire someone to haul. 

What I would like to know is everyones' opinions on the machines. Are the prices the sellers are asking for inline with current prices? What would be a good offer for the HD6AG or the HD11? Most of the sales I see recently are auctions and all over the place on price. 

Appreciate any advice,
Mick
Sponsored Links

NomoreJohnDeere View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 12:29pm
what kind of work you doing?
how much do you have to do and how long do you want to spend doing it?

HD3
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 1:00pm
Sometimes the bargain turns out to be a money pit waiting to happen .
I have a HD5G I bought in 1972 - put tracks on it , 1 sprocket , brakes , rebuilt clutched and rebuilt the 2-71 engine - and still have the machine - 
 Had a D6-9U for 3 years and it cost me 3 times what i paid for it when i finally said I GIVE UP cant afford it any more . 
 Now had a Fiat Allis FD5 and it's 10 times the machine a D6 was or a HD6 is -
Those old HD6 machines - UNLESS YOU HAVE SOMEONE WHO KNOWS THEM are not a machine for a first time buyer especially if they are non runners or questionable . If you could run them , work them and feel out the good and bad then might be OK 
 $8,000 for the two machines - Yep seller might like to get that but 1 runner and one parts machine = about $4,000 delivered . 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
donskokie View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donskokie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 9:42am
Most of the work up front is building and maintaining a road around our 77 acres. After that is making a multiple family garden, snow plowing and such. It is not a lot to do and I don't care how long it takes to do it. Manual labor is my down time and escape from my own day to day. 

Mick
donskokie View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donskokie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 9:54am
Coke,

I've had my share of money pits and bargains. 
Best way I have learned throughout my life is by doing it myself. Asking questions, tearing it down, rebuilding and putting it back together. 
I have a couple old International cabovers and a school bus I work on for fun so we have something to take to Bonneville for SpeedWeek, cutting wood and such. 
So I have to tools and man power to work on a crawler.
I appreciate everyone's input on the different machines.
I'm supposed to go look at the HD11 near Spokane this weekend.
Posted about it on Facebook and a couple people chimed in with machines of their own for sale that I can check out on the way. Should be able to look at 3-4 over the weekend and have a better offering. 

$8000 for the two HD6s seemed really high to me. Both were non runners in my mind. As much as I would like the challenge of building a good machine out of the two, I think the best course of action for now is to look at the ones that are running this weekend and go from there.

Mick 
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 10:46am
Best thing you can do as live in Boise is go speak to the people at General Gear, a salvage lot outside town where they part out old HE. Listen to what they say as to values, parts availability, machine types for your are and what is most prevalent in your area as to Used Parts. With any of those as sketchy can end up buying a Yard Ornament expensively.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 11:06am
$3500 with dead engine ?  no way
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 11:27am
Gawd noooo,,, find a John Deere 555 , better buy
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 2:03pm
Since from your statement you want a dozer blade, no sense in looking at tractors without a blade. Unless you have looked at General Gear or other used parts place and know they have one that will fit.

Another consideration is Caterpillar is still in business and has a very high percentage of all parts still available for tractors 1950 and newer. The IH stuff is the hardest to find parts for and the Allis Chalmers is somewhere in the middle. One of the expensive parts of any crawler is the undercarriage. But luckily it is more or less visible to inspect.

But another thing about Cat some parts are tapered spline press fit like sprockets so they are not easy to work on without access to the right tooling. But there is a very active on line group for them. A home built 80 to 100 ton puller was made and used successfully to repair D7 sprocket that is explained in good detail, the ACMOC club website. But with the amount of old farm crawler in your general area many that had a blade hopefully you find something that only needs a little love to be running again.   
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by donskokie donskokie wrote:

Coke,

I've had my share of money pits and bargains. 
Best way I have learned throughout my life is by doing it myself. Asking questions, tearing it down, rebuilding and putting it back together. 
I have a couple old International cabovers and a school bus I work on for fun so we have something to take to Bonneville for SpeedWeek, cutting wood and such. 
So I have to tools and man power to work on a crawler.
I appreciate everyone's input on the different machines.
I'm supposed to go look at the HD11 near Spokane this weekend.
Posted about it on Facebook and a couple people chimed in with machines of their own for sale that I can check out on the way. Should be able to look at 3-4 over the weekend and have a better offering. 

$8000 for the two HD6s seemed really high to me. Both were non runners in my mind. As much as I would like the challenge of building a good machine out of the two, I think the best course of action for now is to look at the ones that are running this weekend and go from there.

Mick 

Careful that the same bits aren't worn out on both
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 5:26pm
$3500.00 for both hd6's would be a load for them. And they are not a D6 by any means. I've had the 6's. I would keep looking. A HD 15 or similar would make you a better tractor.
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by DougG DougG wrote:

Gawd noooo,,, find a John Deere 555 , better buy

What! I hope you're joking .There's a reason they're cheap. Transmission. Big bucks and not if,when.
Learning AC...slowly
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic