This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slick Roads and Work Travel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 1:23am
driving in bad weather never bothered me. the old lady....oooops….I mean the loving wife and I have made it a point to go out and drive in blizzards since we met, sometimes i'd get home from work and she'd have a fresh cups of hot coffee ready for the excursion. back when we couldn't afford a 4x4 anything, I always made sure I drove a big heavy vehicle with good snow tires. and never had problems, I did pull a couple out of snow banks with my Buick Estate wagon one night. when I got a 4x4, it wasn't really for the extra traction for me, but for getting out of the way of idiot drivers. shucks...we used to got to town and chase cops, we had it made cuz the governing bodies were to cheap to buy snow tires for their cruisers! lol last year was the only year we didn't get to drive ina blizzard, only cuz we never got one!
Sponsored Links

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 4:58am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

driving in bad weather never bothered me. the old lady....oooops….I mean the loving wife and I have made it a point to go out and drive in blizzards since we met, sometimes i'd get home from work and she'd have a fresh cups of hot coffee ready for the excursion. back when we couldn't afford a 4x4 anything, I always made sure I drove a big heavy vehicle with good snow tires. and never had problems, I did pull a couple out of snow banks with my Buick Estate wagon one night. when I got a 4x4, it wasn't really for the extra traction for me, but for getting out of the way of idiot drivers. shucks...we used to got to town and chase cops, we had it made cuz the governing bodies were to cheap to buy snow tires for their cruisers! lol last year was the only year we didn't get to drive ina blizzard, only cuz we never got one!

It no small wonder the mayor didn't take a likin to you and your shenanigans,,,,"YOU" chasin the cops,,,,I'll bet that was one the "Chief" didn't especially like did he,,,,,???LOLLOL Thas prolly WHY the chief decided to go ahead and hire you and get you on their side,,,,,,LOLLOL
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 7:06am
Originally posted by DanWi DanWi wrote:

A Weathertech floor liner commercial comes to mind the mother gets a message on her phone, no school today, so she hollers to the children get ready and get in the suv we are going sledding. If they had to cancel school should she be out driving with the children in her suv?

Well....yes. They cancel school these days at the drop of a hat compared to years ago.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 7:11am
Drove tractor Trailer in the Rockies with Chain law, saw the same issues then as now, 4WD does not mean Four Wheel Stop, yes they stop rolling but the lead block they are attached to keeps on sliding. Situational awareness, knowing what you are doing in the conditions at hand and controlling the machine you are in. Hard for most these days as they EXPECT those fine well intended safety features forced into cars to save their sorry butts when exceed parameters, still won't happen.
1955CA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 10:57am
I'm "lucky?" in that I started my career and worked many years running dump trailers hauling road salt to all the highway department yards all over northern Ontario along the shores of Lake Superior on the Trans Canada Highway. Lots of big hills and blinding white outs. Many trips with a ski mask and winter jacket on, head out the driver side window looking for a snow bank to know if you were still on the road, or abandoned cars on highway in front of you.
It made me a good driver. We had to run whether the highway was open or closed, even when the plows were pulled off the highway.

But I gotta admit, I get an uneasy feeling when my wife and kids have to drive to town to go to work when it is storming. Don't help that the highway maintenance around here is worse than it has ever been.

There are labor laws that an employer cannot punish you for missing work if you feel unsafe due to weather conditions. But you know how some people are.....they will go out of their way to screw you over while not doing it "illegally." Many employers know how to skirt the system.
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by 1955CA 1955CA wrote:

But I gotta admit, I get an uneasy feeling when my wife and kids have to drive to town to go to work when it is storming.

EXACTLY RIGHT!!! I used to love winter, LIVE for winter... Spring, Summer and Fall were what I had to go through to get back to glorious wonderful winter!!! EVERYTHING about winter... I even (long story, another time) planned to go to Alaska, the Arctic Refuge, for the rest of my life (which would probably already have been over by now lol!).

THEN... I met the woman I was going to marry (met in September, 1992, married in August, 1993, still going strong!), and, ...well, for the first time there was a spot on winter's luster. Then we got married (my wife and I, not me and winter lol), then our daughter was born, then our daughter DRIVING, then she got married, then twin grandsons, and in turn each event chipped away at winter's allure and hold over me. To the point that my favorite saying is, "Have I ever mentioned that I hate winter?"

Edited by TimCNY - 16 Feb 2020 at 1:36pm
I need more than 200 characters for my "signature." I'd love to see that changed to 250!
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 3:14pm
When I worked winters for MDOT I questioned the idea of on time delivery! Trucks hauling freight including doubles like UPS and Conway would always be driving like they wanted to meet their maker! And the car drivers drove as if possessed! I remember one night the wind had been blowing about 40mph out of the West and it was about zero. I was sanding because salt wouldn't work at the temperature. A woman coming home from work had driven out into a field as she couldn't see the road. By the time I came up on her the wind had died so I saw her four way flashers. We were told to assist stranded drivers but not to pull them out,so I stopped and talked to the lady. She said she was ok and had called a wrecker. I said where from? She said Morenci. I knew that Morenci was on a north/south road and would be plugged with snow. So I went on and finished my route and the State Road I would plow next was to Morenci. I started down that road and it was plugged but the Cummins in my truck was making music as the front plow and the side wing pushed snow. I got to the small town of Canadagua and there was the wrecker! I got out and told him the way was clear and as soon as I got back from Morenci I would sand the road good so he could pull the lady out. When I got back the wrecker was waiting and I made the road look like a beach! We had other assists that year. One driver saved two women stuck on a side road as their car got stuck and quit. He got them both in the truck" how I don't know" and kept them warm until other help arrived. People on there way to and from work took precedence for me! The ones that were out joyriding I would stop and make sure they were all right but didn't offer extra assistance! One guy I found stuck in a snow drift I asked what are you doing out here this late at night? He said I heard on the TV the roads were bad. I said well you found out they were right!
1955CA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 3:22pm
Well, I can say it's just not the same out there any more. I'm still trucking, and even as late as the late 1990's, you never saw all the accidents and stupidness you see now.

Those old days people traveled in the worst conditions and for the most part made it. Now, as soon as a flake of snow hits the highway everyone is piled up.
And the new breed of imported truck drivers, I can say every single day I am on the road, I get run off into the shoulder at least once a day, by freight haulers running with a set of wheels over the center line. 
And add the fact that up here the government now contracts out highway maintenance to the lowest bid, so conditions are usually horrible.
It's getting to the point I don't even enjoy driving any more.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 6:01pm
re: the new breed of imported truck drivers,

reminds me of the Burlington Bay Skyway 'accident'. One of 'them', drunk, drove his dump trailer INTO the bridge.. HOW the blazes he got that far from the 'industrial zone' is beyond me.... oh yeah, he got off....still driving !!!

I don't bother letting ANYONE in ahead  of me, big or small , try to keep 1.4 car lengths behind....leave any more, my safety zone is filled up with 'them'
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 9:32pm
no differant than driving to the post office or getting the feeding done afew miles away just drive how you need to , and really watch out for the other guy.  if you have drove truck over the road in some increadable bad stroms i guess that you just doit  by the way i hate to follow in bad weather  i will either be in front or way back
1955CA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 8:20am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

re: the new breed of imported truck drivers,

reminds me of the Burlington Bay Skyway 'accident'. One of 'them', drunk, drove his dump trailer INTO the bridge.. HOW the blazes he got that far from the 'industrial zone' is beyond me.... oh yeah, he got off....still driving !!!

I don't bother letting ANYONE in ahead  of me, big or small , try to keep 1.4 car lengths behind....leave any more, my safety zone is filled up with 'them'

Ya, wasn't that something eh? Impaired, hit a major bridge. shut down a major highway system, and got off and right back driving.

One of "us" try that and see how you end up.
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 8:52am
Had an incident last Wednesday night of a wreck about 5 miles east of me. 22 year old crossed the center line and hit a semi head on. Killed the kid. We had weather that night, don't know if that was a factor but.....I read on the news this am that he was involved in another crossing over the center line (June last year, 1 1/2 east) and hit F350 pulling a horse trailer with 2 horses, man,wife and 2 kids. Kids were hospitalized and killed the horses. Big fire, pavement is still tore up from that. Kid was hospitalized but apparently lived to do it again.

That's what bothers me, the other knot heads. I don't worry about me. I know I can get to where I'm going.
1955CA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 9:13am
Yes I hear you. Skill levels are down and too many phones, and in-dash display screens and all the other distractions they keep putting in vehicles.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 1:24pm
To many people in cars drive just off the hood, don't have enough sense to watch on down the road to see what's going on and yes phones don't help but I've seen people reading a book and that's worse.
1955CA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 3:25pm
Drive down the 401 in the Toronto area and tell me what you think when you see the new transport drivers telemarketing while they are driving.
Phone headsets on, tablet taped to the steering wheel and a laptop on the dash.

And no, I'm not exaggerating. Ever wonder why sometimes there is so much background noise when you are on the phone with tech support, LOL
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 8:11pm
That last medical director at the hospital I worked at before retiring was a genuinely nice guy. We don't get much snow here and thus it stays on the road until it melts in a couple of days and a good percentage of folks stay home. Will this new director changed the inclement weather policy so that if you did show up that you would get paid overtime as long as you were there. It helped motivate some and those of us that always made it in to work anyway, it was a nice thanks.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic