This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D-17 D series II transmission issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSD17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D-17 D series II transmission issues
    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 7:04pm
I bought a d-17 this past weekend from a guy who said transmission was stuck in reverse. When I got it started i found that reverse is forward and the forward gears go in reverse accompanied by a horrendous noise, even when shifter is in neutral and I let out on clutch the noise is heard. He had gone through top shaft years ago and got it back together and it did this so he parked tractor. Is something going on ahead of main trans in power director? I figure I will have to split anyway but didn’t know if anybody has dealt with this before. Thank you
Sponsored Links

CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 7:26pm
I would think, if he put it back together with the ring gear on the wrong side of the pinion, he may have not done a good job on the transmission work.
 My first thought on the noise would be something in the clutch, or the throw out bearing is toast.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 7:35pm
I would say he put the differential in wrong. Sounds like there may all so be a bearing out or gears in the wrong order. The power director shouldn't have anything to do with the direction the gears move you
Alex09(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex09(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 8:10pm
Yes, he did install the differential pumpkin in backwards, that will have to be taken out and switched around. As far as the noise goes, you will have to be more specific as to what the noise sounds like and see if you can identify a section that it is coming from. The noise occurring when the clutch is let out and not when you push it in, indicates its not a throwout bearing. Could be in the PTO gears right behind the clutch, in the power director section right in front of the transmission, or in the transmission input shaft/bottom shaft. Report back with more detail on the sound and location.

AND WELCOME TO THE FORUM!! Lots of knowledgable guys on here! We will help you fix any troubles with your Allis tractor's!
www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287
KEEPING ALLIS-CHALMERS IN THE FIELDS THROUGH THE 21ST CENTURY
SSD17 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSD17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 8:44pm
Thanks everyone for the replies! Alex09 It sounds like gear noise to me and seems to be coming from transmission. I have a video I will see if I can cut and upload.
SSD17 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSD17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 8:47pm
is this gear supposed to spin free when clutch is pushed in with tractor off??All other gears on shaft do.

4E09A617-AE75-414D-897C-58FC56BB03A9.jpeg

Edited by SSD17 - 21 Jan 2020 at 8:50pm
rw View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 4:15am
No

B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 6:15am
Sounds to me like you need to get a good service manual and completely gut the case and start over.  One very important issue when you reinstall the ring gear is to make sure the shims are correct.  Get the right thickness of shims for proper bearing preload then install pinion and useing a dial indicator move shims from side to side to get correct back lash. If the former "mechanic" got the ring gear on the wrong side of pinion I would assume the shims are all wrong also.
SSD17 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSD17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 8:57am
I have the IT manual that the seller gave me with tractor, but I would definitely like to find a more detailed service manual. Any suggestions on where to find one?
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 11:01am

Many original Allis Service Manuals available on line including D-17.

You can 'Copy and Paste' to your HardDrive.

Gary

https://www.grandpastractor.com/

Edited by Gary - 22 Jan 2020 at 11:12am
SSD17 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSD17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 4:46pm
The teeth on ring gear face to the right (looking from rear of tractor). The illustration in manual is vague on which direction is front .
SSD17 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSD17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 4:58pm
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 5:06pm
Will work either way, but that way ain't right for a farm tractor.
SSD17 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSD17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 5:32pm
Thank you DrAllis! I guess I will be pulling finals and swapping it around! I’m beginning to to think there are some missing parts in transmission!
SSD17 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSD17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 5:44pm
The lock nut was loose and I believe I’m missing a thrust washer
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 6:04pm
Another case of someone doing repairs who had no business doing it. Saved alot on labor?
Someone before me had been in the PD on my 8070 and they sure couldn't do anything right.
SSD17 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSD17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 6:15pm
You’re exactly right! He said he rebuilt the motor too, so now I’m beginning to doubt he did that right! but it does start right up and sound good.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 6:29pm
Do yourself a favor and buy an Allis Chalmers Service Manual (Not IT) for your tractor. The AC manual has a lot more (and better) info than an IT manual. You may find one online (like Grandpa's tractors) that you can download. I printed one out, punched holes in it and put it in a looseleaf binder. When I'm working on something, I copy the pages that pertain to it, so I don't get the originals all grease.
SSD17 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSD17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 7:14pm
I must be an idiot because I cannot find a service manual for a d17 on grandpas tractors.
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 9:32pm

SS   I see what you mean.

I had downloaded it back in 2012 - D-14, D-15, D-17 Service Manual.

There are some on ebay

Gary

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=allis+manual++d-17&_sacat=0

Edited by Gary - 22 Jan 2020 at 9:33pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 8:07am
Originally posted by SSD17 SSD17 wrote:

is this gear supposed to spin free when clutch is pushed in with tractor off??All other gears on shaft do.

That is what drives the reverse idler gear when it is shifted into reverse and has to be locked into the top shaft at all times. The 4 other gears have a shifting collar that lock them into the top shaft when shifted into each forward gear.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 8:16am
It seems as though Grandpas tractor site has been inactive for a couple years. Too bad, it was a good source for manuals, even if there wasn't a lot of activity on the forums there.
SSD17 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSD17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 2:13pm
Do I need to pull finals before rock shaft? I have the pin out of the ram and all bolts undone maybe it’s just got that much silicone holding it on??
SSD17 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSD17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 2:25pm
It was that much silicone!!!
SSD17 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSD17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 1:02pm
When ordering parts for top shaft it goes by transmission serial number correct??
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 2:50pm
Never knew there was a tranny s/n. Use the chassis s/n.
SSD17 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSD17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 5:04pm
The main shaft snap ring (#23) was missing. Is there a way to see what thickness I need since there are 5 different options for it?
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by SSD17 SSD17 wrote:

The main shaft snap ring (#23) was missing. Is there a way to see what thickness I need since there are 5 different options for it?
I think the procedure  was to measure end play with feeler gauge to figure out thickness. This assumed you had the old snap ring in place.. Don't have the specs but the least amount of play you can get is what you want. Need a tad but not floppy. A factory manual should say what you need.You may have to find one that fits shaft and measure up from there.
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 5:47pm
AGCO Publications is the source for OEM manuals, cost is less than many advertised on eBay.

AGCO Publications
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 5:59pm
You want the thickest one that you can tap/pound in with a small hammer and punch.

Edited by DrAllis - 28 Jan 2020 at 5:59pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic