This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nashville Tenn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nashville Tenn
    Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 10:37pm
Just got back from 5 day weekend trip to Nashville for my 50th birthday on Saturday. Went to the Opry Friday night and saw Alan Jackson, Ricky Skaggs, Vince Gill, Gene Watson and others. Had a great time and loved Nashville. We stayed in some river front condos and I was amazed at the barges on the Cumberland River. Being born and raised in NC I don’t get to see big rivers much and it amazed me the barge traffic at all hours of the days and nights. I grew up in a Trucking family and I understand what a role trains play but how much and what commodities are being shipped by barge?
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 2:14am
we used to have a lot of barge traffic here until the corp of dumbmagneers decided they were disrupting the piping plover nesting along the river. PfffffT!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 3:43am

GOOD MORNIN,,Good Buddy,,,,,Everything goin to suit you,,,???ClapClap
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 4:01am

Yeah,,Red Bank,,,Nashville is certainly one place everybody ought o go visit,,,,
 I was fortunate in when I was still gettin paid for workin,,I got to go twice to Nashville on the Company's dime for a week long convention and got to take the wife,,,,
 We stayed at one of the nicest motels in the world and went to the Grand Old Opery, The Wild Horse Saloon 3 times to show off MY jitterbuggin,,, and ate LoTS of great BBQ,,,,Whew,,,!!!!Sure did hate to leave,,,,,,WinkWink
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 10:14pm
We go to Nashville probably 3 times a year. You got to hang on to your billfold when you go downtown, we don't go there very late anymore. Our fertilize is shipped via barge to fort Loudon near Knoxville. Got a visit planned there this spring.
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 10:15pm
And happy birthday too
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 11:55am
Friends go down there a few times a year , id like to for the Grand Ole Oprey etc , but they say in new bar scene is just crazy- as in any big time bar scene - they said getting to be a lot of- well- ummm pretty boys places- that's just not right for The Home of Country Music- but the times will always be a changing
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 12:56pm
I believe it's Nashville that has the Batman building, pretty cool tower.  And you can see it going both directions on the Eway thru town. 

On the Mississippi I know they ship lots of stuff, gravel, crops, fertilizer, and coal and I'm sure there are a lot more stuff getting moved as well.  It is also entertaining watching them got thru the locks.  It does get boring quickly, but it is entertaining at first in operation, and you get to view one of the dams!  The best place I have watched from is Eagle Point Park in Dubuque IA. you are viewing the operation from on top of the bluff,   And, due to the environmental clean-up the eagles have returned, which is a huge benefit to the visit.  There are also a couple of nice old shelter buildings and a natural stone koi pond, the stones are huge and as far as I can tell, in their natural position.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 4:04pm
HAPPY Birthday Tom!!! PartyPartyBeerBeerPartyParty

The mighty Mississippi (emma comma first, i comma second, two essa come together, i comma gin, two essa comma together agin, i comma gin, i pee pee twice then i comma gin) is nice to live around and next to.  USE to be a great place to swim and fish, but I won't go in it anymore and eating fish out of it is,,,,,,,well iffy.  It is SO polluted now from the Twin Cities,,,,,,,,,,ugh!!

Like John says, a lot of different commodities up and down the river.  You can even pay a price and take a trip on the tug if you want, or so I've heard.  I think the biggest thing hauling now is grain.  It's amazing in that it starts out as a trickle way up out of Lake Itasca (sp?).  Everyone needs to see it.  We have many places along here to see it too.  They are elevated so you get a wonderful view.  Put it on your bucket list!!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 5:34pm
[TUBE]P4p7prURvIk[/TUBE]
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 6:54pm
Well, out of high school, I got summer work for the US CORP of Engineers Painting the bridgework over the Montgomery Locks and Dam just south of Pittsburgh. I saw lots of stuff, coal, pipe, chemicals, salt, and chocolate, just to name a few.
Of course, that was 50 years ago. not as much coal now. and too far up river for grain.
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Dan Hauter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Hauter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 1:36pm
My M-I-L lives in Hendersonville, TN - just outside Nashville.  Nashville is a great place.  Some of the more popular bars, where the "up and coming" performers are, require reservations.  A friend of mine went to Nashville and bought tickets a few months in advance.  I live about 40 miles from the Mississippi River and 40 miles from the Illinois River.  Barge traffic runs 24 hours a day unless the Corps of Engineers shuts the river down for ice or flooding.  About anything that isn't perishable travels by barge, especially grain in this area.  Used to be lots of coal hauled on barges.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic