This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1939 allis chalmers wc 12 volt alternator 3 wire

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1939 allis chalmers wc 12 volt alternator 3 wire
    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 5:04pm
What delco 12 volt 3 wire alternator to use on my WC , using the original 5/8 pulley from the 6 volt generator, not working and not rebuildable ?
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 6:01pm
I just used one of the smaller Denso type on a WD and I really liked how it fit. But the bigger ones will work. Good idea to use the wider pulley. That pulley will not fit on a Denso type. I just go in to NAPA and ask for the 3 wire alternator. Also get the small plug with the two wires that comes out of the back of the alternator. Then you will need to do some custom wiring. 
If I can help let me know. I am not a expert on these but have done a couple that I am pleased with on W series tractors.
Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
smokechaser View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smokechaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 6:22pm
A 10si can be made to work and may even be able to use the old pulley, the GM pulley can be split and widened with 5/8" washers if necessary.  My personal vote is to use a 12v genny from a '60s A-C, should bolt in and looks factory.
A-C HD5G, HD3, I600, WD-45; IH 424, B414, B250, Cub; Oliver OC6; Clark R60; Bungartz T5; Ferguson TO-20; MH 44
68mustang View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 6:28pm
thanks 
68mustang View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 11:49am
Hi Chris, thanks for the information on the alternator, can you post a picture of the alternator on the tractor.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 1:17pm
68mustang,
This is the smaller Denso version. It fits real nice with a extension on the existing generator bracket in the front for supporting the base. I did not change the pulley on the alternator even though its a little small. I did not change the fan belt either. I was lazy.

Used a second alternator bracket to get the new front support. Welded in place 1 inch from current one.

This gives you a idea of the fit to the side of the rad sheet metal.

This is a std larger size alternator. Custom mounting bracket.

Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 4:10pm
We offer a frame rail mount Alternator bracket if interested. As Chris mentioned, the larger "SI" series Delco chassis will fit (especially if you use our mounting bracket kit) which pulls the Alternator a little closer to the block. The mini Denso works well also. You need the special plug (which we have) if you wanted to go that way.

I also can change your 6V Gennie over to a 12V unit with VR. A lot of our customer's go that way that want to keep the OEM look of the Gennie on board. Its more expensive than changing it over to an Alternator, but to each his own. If you do go with the Denso, again as Chris mentioned, the mainshaft is much smaller. We have our CNC machined pulleys for either Alternator. If you used your Gennie pulley, that works fine also. The .670 mainshaft is the same in a lot of the Delco units. If you're changing over to 12v's, visit our website. There's lot's of information on the do's n' don't's on the 12V conversions. We also offer a complete wiring system for the W series Tractors to with or without an Alternator... HTH
Steve@B&B
bb-customcircuits.com
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic