This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

snow blower

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: snow blower
    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 3:31pm
anyone on here have a snowblower on their wd?  if so which kind works best??? neighbor has one on his giant jd.
1955 WD-45 WIDE FRONT W/ TRIP
LOADER
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 3:46pm
We have too much loose LARGE rock here, they will pitch one pretty far according to a neighbor.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 5:06pm
I had a Hanson 7' blower on my IH 460 and it worked freat for fresh fallen snow if you got uot while it was snowing or just quit . Wait a day or 2 and it was usless for busting crusted or snow that had been moved once . 
 Had paddle type auger rather than continuos feed to blower - also the auger was mounted to high up so it also acted as a plow for snow under 4" in depth until a buildup could be directed to blower . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
trace View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 5:30pm
that's my problem here. windblown snow hard to move. can't push it have to scoop and move it.
LOADER
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 5:37pm
You need a good screw type auger and munted lower to bottom of blower . Other problem is howmuch snow you try to put in without trying to use clutch to much - might only load 1/4 of width of blower or less to dig out snow that is solid . Then if you can run over it and break it up first - it helps . 
 Found the blade on truck works better for most if not extreme and can get it to move . besides truck has a good heater - now just need to get 4 WD fixed 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 9:25pm
I have an IH 706 on my WD 45 it's a 7' 2 stage 1400 lb snow blower it works well I blew out Shoulder deep hard packed snow today. When it's that deep and hard packed I have to blow the top half till I can't back into it any more. Pull ahead blow out to bottom and keep doing it till I get thru. As soon as I lift the blower I have to steer with the brakes.up to 2 feet I can back thru fairly easy if it's hard I have to slip he hand clutch chains are a must with out them I can't move anything. I have rocks but it's not a problem. I plow with a truck and leave a little snow till its frozen hard. The blower skids keep it about an inch up I just clean up later with the plow. Some type of winter front is nessasary. I have a homemade small cab and it is tarped over from the radiator back to the cab.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 9:40pm
Have a blade for the skid loader also so not a problem now or use the bucket on it also . Remember when I got a drifting problem and used the HD5G to clear drive - then cut down the hill which caused to drifting and sold it as fill . 
 Few years back I did some drives out here where I took the FD5 dozer to clear then so could truck plow them - couple years I used the 715B to do the drives also then finish with truck plow . 
 Then seems the big snows we use to get haven't happen last few years and I retired and let son take over the plowing i had . He said to heck with it as he is working full time now running tower cranes and has worked all year now . 
 So out of a lapse of memory I took 2 plowing jobs I had since 1972 that he still plowed . So now I wonder about my sanity for saying yes to them .
 The church job is a easy one that takes about 2 hours and other one takes a hour . So at $100 a hour is some extra retirement income , well except my $500 in new tires on truck and now transfer case I have $400 into and still not working and the fact the 2000 GMC is so rusty underneath I wonder when it will just be a pile of rust with a seat on it .

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 6:00pm
I now have a blower for my other little orange diesel tractor. It does well in almost any conditions even heavy wet snow and will slice through hard packed drifts nearly 3' deep. When they're deeper, I just keep cutting under them until it falls down, then clean it up. When I first started trucking long ago the other haulers at the quarry tried to convince me to pull the 5th wheel and mount a spreader box on to plow snow for the hyway department. Come spring their trucks were all busted up and tires were worn out. I had sat out the winter and was ready to go. I'll clear out for myself and neighbors, however expecting to make money at clearing snow is a joke. There's little profit when every time you go out, you come back needing to spend more than you made to get ready to go again.  
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 12:53pm
WD45 wiwith 3 pt blower

with Erskine v pull rotary plow. works great as long as you can drive thru the snow. right wing sticks out 1 1/2 foot beyond tire allows widening  packed road edges. I normaly plow with the old truck its warm and can move alot of snow. 76 1 ton dually tool boxes on utility bed have 2000 lbs of solid cement blocks in them and about 1000 lbs. of scrap steel laying on the bed.
trace View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 2:22pm
love your cab dakota ! where you get that????
LOADER
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 9:02pm
Cab is made by automatic equipment in pender NE. They made universal cabs in the 50s and 60s. Weird fitted to many tractors during that time . I got this one off EBay had to go to Minneapolis and pick it up. It steel framed with aluminum skin. The side windows swing out to open.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 6:15am
After the Blizzard of 1978 we bought a 2 auger 8' snowblower and ran it on the rear or the 185. If you like to get covered with fine snow this is the machine! When we bought the 200 with cab that was a better set up except the windows would frost over so you could not see. 8050 with four wheel drive and 10' rear blade worked the best. Move just about anything with that machine. Now I use the 7060 with a 10' Meyers plow on the front which does a good job. I know the 7060 is bigger than most people would use but when I downsized from dairying it was one of the tractors I kept for having. Tire chains are a must for a snowblower as deep snow requires a hard push to feed the blower into the snow and with ice under the snow you spin. The hand clutch power director on the 185 and 200 helped as you could ease into the drifts and not pull the tractor engine down. The snowblower would make either tractor blow black smoke! What was great you could blow snow 60'. What was bad you could not get into tight spaces or close to buildings when the wind was blowing as the snow would go with the wind. All said for the winters we get here I can keep snow cleared with the 7060 and 10' plow,the 185 and loader or my skid loader. I still have the snowblower and have tried to sell it. No one seems interested.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 2:52pm
Always wanted a blower, never found a reasonable one. Old New Holland 781 skidloader does the best job,---just slow and cold. This winter I am down and no way to get out in the snow.--So far, we been lucky to not have any snow  so hope the trend continues for the rest of the winter!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 7:29pm
Yep! Blowers will move it well but the wind is always working against you. Got a 7ft on the 45. Powder man after a few minutes.
trace View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 2:11pm
wonder if they work better on a skid steer?
LOADER
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 8:57pm
Only if you have a high volume pump on your skid steer. We used a Erskine on our 2410 bobcat it worked great. The snow hawk we had for the 743 was mostly worthless. It takes a lot of hyd flow to blow snow.a large hard pack chunk would stop the blower on the 743 my PTO blower on the WD45 will blow a 2x4 out S tooth picks and send a cement block through the 7/16" osb wall of the play house. It'll also stop the tractor completely when you suck up a 6x6.

Edited by Dakota Dave - 23 Jan 2020 at 9:28pm
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 5:56am
The worst snowblower plug I ever heard was a neighbor who had a blower same as ours sucked in a tire with no rim when clearing a road! Worked most of a day cutting the tire out of the snowblower! Shearbolt on the blower saved the PTO in the tractor.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 8:28am
I have the D14 with loader if I ever get a snow my little tractor won't handle.  We got 15" once and my little tractor handled it.  It took a while longer, but hey, tractor time is fun time.  And I don't even need a coat once the cab warms up!

D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic