This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wide Front Allis C Wishbone Support Slop

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C in Concord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wide Front Allis C Wishbone Support Slop
    Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 12:52pm
Hey All,
I've got an Allis C with a B wishbone wide front and noticed quite a lot of slop (~3/16") where the wishbone support bolts to the bellhousing (aka the rear axle pivot, I think), see image below.  Looks like whoever converted it to wide front didn't have the bushing...?   I've been unable to find anything that seems right through Steiners, DJ's, eBay, etc.  My measurements suggest I could drill out some 3/4" schedule 40 pipe with a 7/8" drill to make one.  Thoughts?  Any help is appreciated!
Leave things better than you found them.

1941 Model C (restored 2020)
Sponsored Links

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 12:59pm
That should be a bronze bushing, part #210680. Mike Z had one listed in his NOS parts a few days back. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 8:01am
I go to my shed an pick out a nice torque tube and use that. Sorry that's what happens when you collect and don't toss anything.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 8:09am
I would take it apart, measure the bore and the spud, then go to Graingers and find what I needed.
 If things aren't round, that would have to be addressed first, in order to find the right size bushing.
https://www.grainger.com/category/power-transmission/bearings/sleeve-and-clip-bearings/sleeve-bearings?cm_sp=Product_Details-_-Categories_Based_on_Your_Search-_-IDPPLACAT
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 11:48am
For what is worth, I find McMasterCarr far better than Graingers.
Anyways, I would think you will need to ream/drill the hole out to something near round, then obtain the proper bushing stock to fit the hole, and then drill/ream it out to fit
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
C in Concord View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C in Concord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 12:52pm
I'll know more after this weekend, but the hole is not noticeably obround (yet).  Problem is it measures ~1.060" & the bushing has to fit over 7/8" threads.  I scoured McMaster-Carr (tend to agree with you Lou), but the closest I could find for less than $80 is 1" OD.  That's why I thought the 3/4" sch 40 iron pipe would be better, ~1.05" OD & cheap. 

However... Giving Grainger a try for the first time in years, they do have something closer for <$7 (+10.98 shipping, ffs).  Sounds like Mikez may have something also.  So I have options, which is nice. Big smile

Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 1:17pm
I found the one on my D-10 was not good, and no way to lube it, so I added a grease zerk.
Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 1:37pm
C in Concord,
I like your approach to leave it better than you found it! If that bushing from grainger is about right it looks like a inexpensive way to go. Suprized that Mc Master Carr did not have equivalent in size material and price too. They are my go to place for items like that too. We need some additional pictures of your C with the wish bone B axle too!
 Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 2:40pm
I have never seen one with a bushing. Won't hurt to have one.

You have more wear points than the hole.

Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 8:31pm
The part number Paul said to use that I have is steal
It's about 1-1/16 long X 1-1/32 or 1-1/16 OD X 29/32 ID

Edited by Mikez - 17 Jan 2020 at 8:39pm
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 7:29pm
Hey guys is there a bushing or anything in the front pivot. Could you check your parts book for me.
Thanks
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C in Concord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 12:04pm
A little house keeping...

Originally posted by Dick L Dick L wrote:

I have never seen one with a bushing. Won't hurt to have one.

You have more wear points than the hole.

In looking at the Agco parts site, they claim B43220 & up had the bushing (15 in the image below; part# 210680). If I'm reading it right... That would mean it occurred during 1940 production, which aligns with my situation.

Originally posted by Mikez Mikez wrote:

The part number Paul said to use that I have is steal
It's about 1-1/16 long X 1-1/32 or 1-1/16 OD X 29/32 ID

I ended making one out of 3/4" black iron pipe. After spending some quality time with my bench grinder, I got the OD to fit. Size ended up close to Mike's #'s, 1"L x 1-1/32"OD x 7/8" ID. Should work while I wait for the real one from Mike.

Originally posted by Mikez Mikez wrote:

Hey guys is there a bushing or anything in the front pivot. Could you check your parts book for me.
Thanks

I sent you a PM to this effect also, but there is no bushing in the front pivot (per the Agco parts site again). Thank you for asking though! Hopefully you can find the pivot bolt (18) and collar (22)...

I think that covers it... Thanks for the help all!

Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 1:56pm
I have drilled out several B axles and pressed in bushings. Most of them are oblong holes. I bought bronze bushings at hardware store to fit the bolt and drilled out the hole to fit the bushing.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C in Concord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Dick L Dick L wrote:

I have drilled out several B axles and pressed in bushings. Most of them are oblong holes. I bought bronze bushings at hardware store to fit the bolt and drilled out the hole to fit the bushing.
I agree, that is my plan for the front pivot.  Just have to get the parts and build a support/splitting stand so I can get the axle off.  Thanks again all!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic