This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

30 Year Old Tractors Felt Like Antiques 30 Years A

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 30 Year Old Tractors Felt Like Antiques 30 Years A
    Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 7:55am
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 7:58am
Tier 2, 3 & 4 tractors are problems, very expensive when fail, fail a LOT as are Tender machines that require attention and cannot be ignored when trouble indicators light up. Forty year old machines were bullet proof, keep oil and filters fresh, keep greased and adjustments made all was right for WEEKS!!
weiner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 8:04am
WOW!  That made me feel even older,,
Real heros wear dogtags, not capes.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 8:40am
Interesting, but not nearly enough weight given to original sale price versus 30 year old price and the time value of money. We’re spanning 60 years here, a dollar changes a lot!
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 10:16am
This thought has been mine,Wink yours may very.LOL

If you remember when a tractor,truck,most anything was  NEW ,Wink in my mind it is a lot newer than another that that is only few years older. The paint was faded and there was a dent or 3 ,so it was old from your first memory. So the years pass and,Wink and you have the "old junk" tractor and "new tractor" that is now 30 years old.LOLLOLLOL But there is only a few years different in ago.

tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 2:35pm
He didn't record any Allis Chalmers prices
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 3:04pm
I was interested in the longevity reliability and repair cost of the old as to compared to the new. 30 years from now I wonder how these new machines will have lasted and repair cost to keep them running. Of course I'm sure the powers that be will regulate all out of use, to be replaced by the latest and (greatest?) eco plastic power machine.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 10:19pm
machinery pete is a green tractor man, for a long time he wouldn't even look at any other brand, he's started to glance a little, but only cuz a lot of folks called him on it. he lost a lot on sponsorship because of grand standing only green equipment.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 7:11am
I believe you also have to look at the machines themselves. The size difference alone is a big step. The 40hp through 60hp tractors of the 60's simply can not compare to the 100+hp tractors of the 80's and 90's. There are several sides where this article lacks validity
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 9:35am
Computer failure is one reason I do not want anything with a "brain box" , and I prefer mechanical actuated machines like the D17/D19 / 170 because if you have to, you can pull them to start if you are caught with a dead battery. But will give some allowance to the hydraulic engagements but... that goes to the point of valves still be mechanical operated.
 Electric solenoids buried deep in the machine are a hidden pain and one bad connection broken wire or smoked solenoid disables the machine and big expenses start occurring.
  Really don't like the digital gauges either... so much of that stuff his prone to failure too and the plastics covering them turn yellow and becomes hard to see through... So, that sets you back to the old glass faced gauges. 
   Modern technology may look great, but lot of it has gremlins that come out to cost you when it's life expectancy is shorter than the machine it is on...  Machine is no better than it's weakest components it has in/on it. It might have bullet proof drivetrains, but if a mouse starts chewing on the electrical side, your sol until it gets fixed.
 and what about these engines with only manufacture controlled computers that operate everything and have to be plugged in to find the problems... or reprogrammed when you replace a sensor or a modern injector? and they quit support for that crap?
  I don't think there will be one like that in the future here.
Course, I won't be needing one in prolly within the next 15 years either... or sooner.LOL  mm, that ain't so funny.Stern Smile
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 3:01pm
Know of farmers that were switch up machinery changers, always one upsmanship with all the new fangled crap, no longer do they Buy machines, lease them, say its less hassle when craps out the call, next machine shows up but the costs are EXTREME. Also know a few in grade work, a couple still pushing OLD 20-40 year old Cats where others fight constantly with the new electronics loaded junk. One guy has had his 963(No sub code) since was new, three sets rails/UC, one engine and a Hystat rebuild, another has a 963D knows it will NOT last fur years TOPS where such as the joystick controllers are over $3500 EACH reman and they obsolete at around nine years.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by thendrix thendrix wrote:

I believe you also have to look at the machines themselves. The size difference alone is a big step. The 40hp through 60hp tractors of the 60's simply can not compare to the 100+hp tractors of the 80's and 90's. There are several sides where this article lacks validity
With all that being said, many farmers today don't even have a concept of what a smaller older tractor can do. I used to joke 20 years ago that no one could pull a hayrake with less than 100HP. Nowdays they won't even use anything less than 150HP and it must have a cab with A/C. No wonder so farms have been foreclosed on, they've gone equipment poor, because of what they've spent on the latest hyped up gizmos. 

Edited by PaulB - 15 Jan 2020 at 7:43pm
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 3:51pm
I'd call it equipment rich and money poor
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

machinery pete is a green tractor man, for a long time he wouldn't even look at any other brand, he's started to glance a little, but only cuz a lot of folks called him on it. he lost a lot on sponsorship because of grand standing only green equipment.
Yep with Machinery Pete the sun rises and sets on Deere some of the other popular youtubers are even worse. At least Machinery Pete doesn't spend time running down other brands. I can hardly stand some youtubers.

-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Interesting, but not nearly enough weight given to original sale price versus 30 year old price and the time value of money. We’re spanning 60 years here, a dollar changes a lot!

Tbone, once again, you beat me to it!
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic