This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

$3.74 million for a Mustang!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: $3.74 million for a Mustang!
    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 11:42am
Watched the Mechem auction someone posted on Facebook.   The "Bullet" Mustang that Steve McQueen drove in the movie sold for $3,400,000 plus the 10% sellers fee of $340,000!  Kind of neat story behind it.  After filming ended, a crew member bought the car for $3,500 and drove it for a few years then sold it to a guy in New Jersey, who had always wanted a Mustang fastback, for $3,500.  The new owner and his wife drove it for years, taking the kids to school and shopping etc, until the clutch went out.  It sat in the yard for several years until the son got the car fixed and on the road again.  I'm not sure if they realized how famous the car was but at some time did find out and decided to sell it.  I don't know what the auction co charges to sell a vehicle but they sure came out ahead with that 10% buyers fee!  BTW, the son drove the car onto the auction platform with his sister in the passenger seat.  Took the mic and told the crowd the bidding would start at $3,500, what his dad paid for it, didn't stay there long...
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Sponsored Links

Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 3:48pm
I had read about the car in Hagertys magazine the father and son basically had to hide that car from the world because people had been searching for it for years it was like the Holy Grail of mustangs. The son slipped up in a magazine and let it be known that the car actually existed. Aside from the payday I would be relieved to be rid of it because I would constantly be worried about something happening, Fire, theft etc. but I would buy me another fastback mustang to drive everyday lol
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 6:53pm
There were originally two. The other was supposedly found in a junk yard in Mexico a few years back.
Reminds me of the Captain America Choppers from Easy Rider. One was stolen and Dan Hagerty (Grizzly Adams) who built them kept the other for years. It sold a few years back for big bucks as well.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 7:37pm
I had read somewhere that one of the cars got beat up pretty good in the chase scene, I suspect it was the one found in Mexico (I had read Missouri).  In any event, even after taxes, the family came out real well.  Basically like winning the lottery except EVERYBODY knows about it.
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 12:41pm
The beat up unit was found just over the border in Mexico and was rumored to be 1 of the original 2 for years. Once they got Marti involved, what was left (reportedly not much) was reportedly started with a ground up rotisserie restoration still ongoing in SoCal.
The one just sold, that family took some well given advice and "toured" the car for a couple of years where it was shown in a glass case wherever exhibited, reportedly.
Offers came in repeatedly and it also got Chad McQueen some current press as he was telling how the ol' man could really handle a car, bike, dune buggy, anything.
Reportedly Steve insisted he drive it in all scenes but due to insurance (he owned the production company making the film, it's first under his ownership), he relented except for close-up shots. Seen an interview with the stunt coordinator years ago (that he also rode bikes with) and fella said he did not have to show Steve much other than "keep it mashed to the rev limiter we installed and use all the power". You can actually hear it fluttering in the movie if you look for it.
Funny how all the fakers turn up, although there was a number built with the options.
If you want to check out some neat cars, trucks and bikes, check out BAT.
Stands for "bring a trailer" and you can list any vehicle you want on there auction site.
Neat stories about some rare cars/pickups and they also show what everything sells for.
Mustang pickup anyone? I have had a number of Mustangs over the years but had never heard of the limited production run Ford let an outfit in SoCal build.
Kiwi View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 6:21pm
It sounds like a similar thing happened to the motorcycle Steve McQueen had in the movie the great escape it was sold after the movie was finished for a few dollars and ended up being sold for 1.2 m pounds and is in the triumph museum
Tractors Allis EB,two C,diesel G
tomNE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 7:32pm
the auctioneer that sold it is the one i had for my farm sale retirement auction.  good people the Moravec's are!

AC from the start of my families farming career till the end!
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 9:20pm
Have worked on the GMC conventional that was in Smokey and the Bandit and I guess the guy still has it to haul grain and such. Doesn't live very far from me. Takes good care of his stuff.     Leon
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 11:16pm
Sure would have been great if that truck was powered with a "Big Al".
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 1:00pm
I have a picture on my phone of a US Army Harley that Steve McQueen owned, I don't remember if it was in a movie or not, didn't take a picture of the signage next to it.  It is in Steve Tebo's collection in Longmont, CO.  Don't know if it's in this video or not but lots of cool vehicles. www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E5YhlB8L1o  I spent several hours wandering around the place while at a fund raiser for our local Historic Museum.  Only a few tractors, no Allis's.  His family had the Case dealership in Hill City, KS.

In reading about making the Bullet movie, they had to detune the Charger because the Mustang couldn't keep up with it.  I remember talking to someone who lived in San Francisco when they made the movie, said it was pretty exciting to watch the chase being shot. 

Edited by JohnCO - 13 Jan 2020 at 1:05pm
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 9:40am
If I had that kind of money I would not be buying a Ford.........well maybe a Raptor..........well maybe a Shelby Cobra too. Ok forget what I said.😆
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 10:09am
Originally posted by JohnCO JohnCO wrote:

I have a picture on my phone of a US Army Harley that Steve McQueen owned, I don't remember if it was in a movie or not, didn't take a picture of the signage next to it.  It is in Steve Tebo's collection in Longmont, CO.  Don't know if it's in this video or not but lots of cool vehicles. <span ="="" fz-ms="" fw-m="" fc-12th="" wr-bw="" lh-17"="" id="yui_3_10_0_1_1578941726222_833">www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E5YhlB8L1o  I spent several hours wandering around the place while at a fund raiser for our local Historic Museum.  Only a few tractors, no Allis's.  His family had the Case dealership in Hill City, KS.
</span>
<span ="="" fz-ms="" fw-m="" fc-12th="" wr-bw="" lh-17"="" id="yui_3_10_0_1_1578941726222_833">
</span>
<span ="="" fz-ms="" fw-m="" fc-12th="" wr-bw="" lh-17"="" id="yui_3_10_0_1_1578941726222_833">In reading about making the Bullet movie, they had to detune the Charger because the Mustang couldn't keep up with it.  I remember talking to someone who lived in San Francisco when they made the movie, said it was pretty exciting to watch the chase being shot. 
</span>
<span ="="" fz-ms="" fw-m="" fc-12th="" wr-bw="" lh-17"="" id="yui_3_10_0_1_1578941726222_833"></span>

I doubt they had to detune the charger    Just dont give it as much gas!

In the chase seen the mustang laid out a burn out that was very long, besides they were not even going that fast.
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 1:06pm
It was just something I read about filming the chase.  I think the problem was the Charger driver just couldn't keep his foot out of it, trying to make it look real.  They were fast enough to get air several times!  Plus it was shot in several locations which meant shooting one section, resetting the cameras and shooting the next segment then cutting and pasting film to make it look like one long chase.

Edited by JohnCO - 16 Jan 2020 at 1:09pm
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 3:40pm
I had several '67s, found out they'll fit onto old( '76) Wagoneer frames without major cuttng or welding. Even made a scale model  of this. Thought it'd be a neat 4WD Stang...
this before I got married, bought a house, and ..well... you know the rest...sigh
Still have mom's 67 hardtop...one owner,lady driven...
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 9:23am
That was a good wright up in Hagerty magazine  on the car. Was also on Jay Leno
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
Just because you do not have the tools for job , it dose not make it a bad design.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 11:53am
I was thinking myself, wouldn't be surprised if Leno wasn't in on the bidding
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 6:26pm
Makes u wonder if buyer was at auction .Just had someone doing phone bidding so no one knew he bought it .
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
Just because you do not have the tools for job , it dose not make it a bad design.
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 11:59am
Fred that’s what I heard was only one person there knew who the bidder was. Wouldn’t be surprised if it was Leno but probably some other collector.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 11:52pm
I just read an article where a guy in England got a 67 Mustang and Charger at a race track there and drove them both.  Said the Mustang had lots of power and good steering control, the Charger had more power but it felt like he was driving a hearse, with a water bed in the back...
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 9:34am
We were all Blue Oval back in the day, oldest brother got me hooked on the Mustangs and I have had a number over the years.
2nd oldest brother traded a 74 Arctic Cat away as he picked it up cheap and we had a Polaris dealer in the family, no way a Cat was allowed. He traded it off on a 69 RT/SE and it was the first Mopar in the family, 440 wedge w/ 4-speed.
Rode to school with him one day as missed the bus (intentionally) so I could catch a ride in it. 2-lane highway and came up on a neighbor pulling a full load of hay, never shifted down after chugging along in fourth waiting to pass and the torque was impressive. Brother admitted years later that he pushed it to the top of that speedo once, and it scared the crap out of him, said he could feel the front end start to "float" at about 125.
Ol' man made him get rid of it after he drove it, no car for an 18 yo!
When clutch replaced, NAPA matched one up, out of a one ton Dodge Snow Fighter!
Dan Hauter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Hauter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 2:12pm
The 1st car of the new series of Corvettes was auctioned off by Barrett-Jackson for $3 million.  Proceeds supposedly went to charity.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic