This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

a WD45 rebirth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: a WD45 rebirth
    Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 8:13pm
At the friendly request from Chris (SUGARMAKER) gonna start a thread on this 45😬.Well....it’s that time of year when my retired father is ready to give new life to another AC and this one he acquired last winter.A good friend of his had this ‘55 45 for years using just for garden work.The engine was pulled and rebuilt February of last year with the intent to finish the garden for that year then to be restored and semi retired.Didn't work out quite as planed for my dad’s friend because he came across an AC 220 he absolutely had to have and offered this 45 to my dad...and so it begins.This one is quite a bit easier than the D17 we did last winter because of it already been torn down and cleaned last Feb.I just wished I got some pics before dad got it almost naked.
‘42B,’45B,’48C,’51CA,’52CA,’69170,1935WC,1936WC,WD,WD Highcrop,WD45,WF,D10/14/15/17/19

It isn’t how you die.It’s what you live for.-Daniel Boone
Sponsored Links

MDWilliams338 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 8:19pm

Got it finished stripped as far as it needed to and the primer on...cheated on not pulling the manifold and carb but it was all new and just put on so I wrapped it after spraying them in heat black.
‘42B,’45B,’48C,’51CA,’52CA,’69170,1935WC,1936WC,WD,WD Highcrop,WD45,WF,D10/14/15/17/19

Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 8:25pm

Chris and I discussed making a seat adapter but I actually found one pretty reasonable but dad decided he wanted set a tad further back so I drilled another hole in the perch and weld an extension to the back to match the end of the bracket.

Edited by MDWilliams338 - 22 Nov 2019 at 9:47am

Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 8:39pm

Got the PPG laid on Tuesday.

Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 8:54pm

Today I got it wired up,put the lights back on with one of those 25HP exhaust pipes.Got the spindles welded up where they were scared,turned back down and put back in the front axle ,just not bolted up yet.

LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 9:07pm
My goodness it's purty. Whatcha gonna do with it. Brush hog some brush with it?
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 9:11pm
Very nice work........ Great heavy duty jack stands... good plan !
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by LeonR2013 LeonR2013 wrote:

My goodness it's purty. Whatcha gonna do with it. Brush hog some brush with it?

Thankya sir! I think dad said he wanted to use this for his Halloween and Christmas hay wagon puller.

Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

Very nice work........ Great heavy duty jack stands... good plan !

Thanks Steve ....be glad to get the front wheel wheels on too and get this bad boy off the stands and on its feet.

B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 6:30am
My favorite AC tractor is the WD45,    yours looks great !!   NICE job.
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 7:12am
Looks like a $$ Million!! Nice work.  I NEED a set of jack stands like those......
WC, CA, D14, WD45
savedallis1953 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savedallis1953 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 7:22am
Just think what one would cost new today. 26-32K$
1953 WD, 1953 WD, WD engine with WD-45 crankshaft.
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 7:26am
     I grew up with WD and WD45's so it's great to see another member of the family get a restoration. Nice looking tractor and am sure you will enjoy using it. Thanks for sharing your pictures.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 8:20am
Originally posted by MDWilliams338 MDWilliams338 wrote:

Got the spindles welded up where they were scared,turned back down and put back in the front axle ,just not bolted up yet.
That's coming right along and looking good!

When I redid the front end on my 45 I considered welding up the spindles but not being sure of the material opted for new ones. Did you have any trouble with hard spots?
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 8:28am
Mike,
Thanks for taking the time to post these progress pictures! You make it look easy, but I know some of the moves and you have to keep right after it! Tell your Dad and Mom Hi for me!
I was trying to figure out what that pin was on the outside lower left fender bracket. Now I see thats where you hang your lunch!:)
Alternator looks like a nice clean installation and I see it has been converted to key start with solenoid. Looks like a good position for service. 
Your weather is way better than ours as your doors are open on your shop!
The exhaust and carb look fresh with the high temp black.
 I see a spray can of orange, just for touch up? What paints did you use? Color look very good!
Seat flipper and extension is a nice touch. Your dad and I are about the same size and maybe age too and a little more room to get on is not a bad thing!  
How are you doing on the sheet metal, hood, rad, tank and fenders? These alwasy consume mass quanities of my time. Of course most of mine are in need of much attention!
How hard was it to get the adjustable front axles out? Most of ours are rusted tight!
Great job! You know I think that is the part of the work that I like the most. Getting it back together and fresh paint! After that its hard to keep them looking that good. What are the rear tires? You have them shined up good!

Its going to look real good hauling that Christmas wagon!
Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 8:55am
Originally posted by IBWD MIke IBWD MIke wrote:

Originally posted by MDWilliams338 MDWilliams338 wrote:

Got the spindles welded up where they were scared,turned back down and put back in the front axle ,just not bolted up yet.
That's coming right along and looking good!

When I redid the front end on my 45 I considered welding up the spindles but not being sure of the material opted for new ones. Did you have any trouble with hard spots?

Mike ,these actually weren’t too bad in terms of the actual scarring and hard spots.Put a little heat in them with the torch,TIGed the spots and being they were fairly small I ground them down with the hand grinder and finished on the belt sander.I’ve done two sets like this but I’ve had a few sets that I just took to my machinist that were too far gone that I didn’t have the time to work on.I’m actually better at grinding than welding...my dad used to build trailers for years and my main job was to grind welds and corners smooth.....and to be in a hurry to let go of the ground clamp when he’d say “ move the clamp,ain’t got no ground” OUCH!!!😂

Driverdan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Driverdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 9:15am
Beautiful job on the WD45!!! I love WD45's (and have the two that my dad bought in the fifties). My two are unrestored originals, and I use them for haying, manure spreading, etc and have been driving them for 60 plus years. Sadly, I don't have either the facility or the ability to do restorations like you, but I certainly admire what you have done. Congratulations !!!
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 9:26am
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Mike,
Thanks for taking the time to post these progress pictures! You make it look easy, but I know some of the moves and you have to keep right after it! Tell your Dad and Mom Hi for me!
I was trying to figure out what that pin was on the outside lower left fender bracket. Now I see thats where you hang your lunch!:)
Alternator looks like a nice clean installation and I see it has been converted to key start with solenoid. Looks like a good position for service. 
Your weather is way better than ours as your doors are open on your shop!
The exhaust and carb look fresh with the high temp black.
 I see a spray can of orange, just for touch up? What paints did you use? Color look very good!
Seat flipper and extension is a nice touch. Your dad and I are about the same size and maybe age too and a little more room to get on is not a bad thing!  
How are you doing on the sheet metal, hood, rad, tank and fenders? These alwasy consume mass quanities of my time. Of course most of mine are in need of much attention!
How hard was it to get the adjustable front axles out? Most of ours are rusted tight!
Great job! You know I think that is the part of the work that I like the most. Getting it back together and fresh paint! After that its hard to keep them looking that good. What are the rear tires? You have them shined up good!

Its going to look real good hauling that Christmas wagon!
Regards,
 Chris

Hey Chris,I’ll for sure tell them. Yeah I actually had some food in the bag and clear skateboard deck tape for the foot rests and rear step/pto cover.Typically the weather in NC won’t get too stable until about Christmas,until then Mother Nature is a confused mess with a few good days here and there.The spray cans are used for a couple of touch ups and dad sprayed this oil old tank in the background next to the building.But honestly after we’re done assembling I can spend an hour or more with my secret sauce of International orange I get from our local hobby shop (I know but it’s practically an exact match) model enamel paint and a fine model brush touching up bolts and other dad mishaps😂.I used PPG 60080 this time ,what we had left from the D17 and I think I used SW on my sons B.The radiator dad just got back from the shop cleaning it out,leak checked and they did their usual heat black on it(sitting under the tractor) and the axles weren’t too bad.Left side came right out and the right was a little snug but I slid a 1” steel rod in from the empty side and it came out with some finessing.The rears are 14.9 Armstrong’s that we’re on it ,they’re in too good of shape to pull off and I think he’s going with 6.50 on the front ,not sure which flavor yet though.Going to try and get most of not all of the sheet metal next week if Mother Nature plays nice,so we’ll see.
Now that I’m looking at it I had to hit the inside of the axle tube that I forgot after I finished spraying and cleaned up everything,that’s just how it goes for me sometimes 😂

Edited by MDWilliams338 - 22 Nov 2019 at 9:30am

Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 9:37am
Originally posted by Driverdan Driverdan wrote:

Beautiful job on the WD45!!! I love WD45's (and have the two that my dad bought in the fifties). My two are unrestored originals, and I use them for haying, manure spreading, etc and have been driving them for 60 plus years. Sadly, I don't have either the facility or the ability to do restorations like you, but I certainly admire what you have done. Congratulations !!!

Thank you sir and I’m a little envious that you still have your dads tractors and still use them for work regardless of being able to restore them.Don’t by any means feel sad about it,sometimes these old machines are better left untouched 😉

Driverdan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Driverdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 10:38am
Thanks for your kind words....as a point of interest, I have the 1940 WC that he bought in 1952. That was his first tractor when he transitioned from a team of draft horses..and yes, I still remember them (Prince and Bess)...Dan
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 11:03am
I don't know WHAT you think you are DOING to that tractor............but keep it up, it LOOKS GREAT!!😉
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 5:11pm
Mike,
 Your son looks like the coolest kid in school with the sunglasses and that awesome low slung B! I had forgot about that one! It sure is cute!
Your making great progress on the 45! I had mine out and it was fussing tonight. I put that stabil stuff in the gas and it was just about or out of gas stalled a couple times till I fed it!:) My dog was running round and round the tractor. She has claimed it as hers!
Regards,
Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by Driverdan Driverdan wrote:

Thanks for your kind words....as a point of interest, I have the 1940 WC that he bought in 1952. That was his first tractor when he transitioned from a team of draft horses..and yes, I still remember them (Prince and Bess)...Dan

WOW...and I used to mumble,grumble and fuss at the late nights farming running lights cause I had a hot date but feel fortunate when I hear stories like this I didn’t have to walk behind horses or mules.

Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Mike,
 Your son looks like the coolest kid in school with the sunglasses and that awesome low slung B! I had forgot about that one! It sure is cute!
Your making great progress on the 45! I had mine out and it was fussing tonight. I put that stabil stuff in the gas and it was just about or out of gas stalled a couple times till I fed it!:) My dog was running round and round the tractor. She has claimed it as hers!
Regards,
Chris

Yeah man,he had a blast driving this in our town founders day parade and what was funny all the hotrodders had all their cars parked when we rolled in and as soon as the tractors came in to park most of them flocked to come check it out.If he could get away with it he’d drive it to school.But not a whole lot done on it today other than getting the spindles in place and bolted.My parents are taking off in the morning to GA to look at a D14 I believe and I’ve got to work all weekend making tires so it’ll be next week before we do any more to it.We run Stabil in all our stuff...it doesn’t seem to take long for fuel to set before it’ll make gas engines act up.

Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 9:12pm
Well in between the rains and work I got the nose cone,hood,tank,batt side panel and one fender (almost done) before I ran completely out Orange PPG...just my luck but oh well will try again this weekend.

Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 9:20pm
My dad wanted the usual black grip tape on the back but I’ve never been fond of putting black tape on such a pretty shade of orange so as I was going to get more tape from Lowe’s my son informs me I can get clear deck tape all day long from the skate shop in town so went and got some to try out and I think I like the clear better...just have to find my roller to press out the remaining air.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 9:26pm
MD, that looks GORGEOUS! But a question: what is grip tape and what's it used for? Thanks!

Edited by Dave(inMA) - 11 Dec 2019 at 9:27pm
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by Dave(inMA) Dave(inMA) wrote:

MD, that looks GORGEOUS! But a question: what is grip tape and what's it used for? Thanks!

Dave,thankya sir! Well my dad likes to be sure footed when climbing on and off these early AC’s that can be a little tricky to maneuver ...and to keep his big ol boots from scuffing the paint.I’ve got to put some on the foot rests also.

Alex09(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex09(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 12:13am
Looks good man! Nice step by step pics!
www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287
KEEPING ALLIS-CHALMERS IN THE FIELDS THROUGH THE 21ST CENTURY
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 5:01am
Thanks, MD. Hadn't heard of it before - now I'm educated!!
WC, CA, D14, WD45
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic