This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another 1 for you mathematicians

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another 1 for you mathematicians
    Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 8:49pm
If you are running down the road at 70 mph with the tach sitting on 3500 rum's, how fast are you traveling when the tach is sitting on 9000 rpm's? I've been wondering this for 50 years.
Sponsored Links

Dave H (NE) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 8:56pm
179.9 mph
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 8:59pm
Would need to know the resistance-
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 9:06pm
9000 / 3500 * 70 =  180 mph
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 9:10pm
Thanks guys.   In glad my buddy's mom and dad never knew this.
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 9:19pm
We had a 3300# ‘67 Plymouth that would make power up to 7400rpm’s. For fun, put in a set of 3:55 gears, speedometer went past the 150 mark and toward the start pin and wasn’t up to 6500rpms. Car wasn’t stable enough to do any more(lost the chrome trim around the windshield on that venture)Not sure, but believe only had ~3500 @ 70? 9000 is a long way from there
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 10:49pm
I got 180.57, but 180 is close enough for the girls we date
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 7:23am
Took my 74 Honda CB750 Four up to 100 on the speedo when I was 22 just to do it. Never again. She was screamin (had Hooker Header single pipes on her) and she was vibratin. With the wind force, it was all I could do to hang on. Talk about adrenaline, when I finally stopped and got off her, my eyes were buggin and I was a shakin. Don't remember what the tach was at, I'm pretty sure it was up there. 55mph seemed pretty slow after that.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 7:34am
All that on tires that probably weren't even speed rated!
AC8010 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC8010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 8:06am
Heard a story one time about a guy that done that, just slowly increased speed till it was way up there. The problem came when he tried to slow down. Could get down to a certain point and it would start shaking, ended up laying it down.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by AC8010 AC8010 wrote:

Heard a story one time about a guy that done that, just slowly increased speed till it was way up there. The problem came when he tried to slow down. Could get down to a certain point and it would start shaking, ended up laying it down.

Yes sir, I can relate to that! Had a BSA 650 that I did the same thing. I doubt I hit 100, speedo said 105, but I doubt it. It was barely readable anyhow, vibrating so bad, no tach. It was shaking and vibrating so bad, front fork started to shimmy. I was afraid to use the brakes, just kept easing off of the gas very slowly and rode it out. It got worse before it got better! But that was back when I was invincible!
Wait for the Lord;
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 4:41pm
But that was back when I was invincible!

YEA... that was 40 years ago for most of us !!
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 10:13pm
1968'1969 on multi mile G70x14 bias ply tires.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 7:30am
The tires on the Honda 750 were Goodyears. I bought the cycle off my uncle who was a serious rider and liked to go fast, so I'm pretty sure they were hi speed rated. But it was still scary as hell.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 12:47pm
Chas, had a CB 500 Four myself.....I think 85 - 90 ish was all I could get out of that.  Speed rated, schmeed rated, never thought of such things!  Headers sounded pretty good!

Drove a 1975 Chrysler Land Yacht to high school.  440, 4 barrel Holley.  If you floored it from a dead stop, would not shift into third until 90mph, and the dang speedo would bounce off the peg at 100, no tach, so.....IDK?
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 1:32pm
When I was in the Army I drove from home to Columbus, Ohio every day, every Monday morning going south on I 71 a Corvette and I would run up to 120 and then back down to the speed limit, I had a 69 Dodge SuperBee with a 383 4 barrel
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Chas, had a CB 500 Four myself.....I think 85 - 90 ish was all I could get out of that.  Speed rated, schmeed rated, never thought of such things!  Headers sounded pretty good!

Drove a 1975 Chrysler Land Yacht to high school.  440, 4 barrel Holley.  If you floored it from a dead stop, would not shift into third until 90mph, and the dang speedo would bounce off the peg at 100, no tach, so.....IDK?

I think you could safely claim a buck twenty and no one would doubt you!
Wait for the Lord;
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

But that was back when I was invincible!

YEA... that was 40 years ago for most of us !!

Yep, I think that was more the norm! That's why 18 year olds make the best soldiers! They just don't know about dying, it's a foreign concept to them.
Wait for the Lord;
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 8:32am
I thought the answer would be at 9000 rpm you would be setting on the side of the road picking up the engine parts? Yea scary stuff there guys! Glad I never did anything like that in a 1965 Ford Falcon with a 6 cyl and a car full of guys! Good thing I didnt ever have a bike too! Never was that good at darn word problems either!:)
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 11:18am
Originally posted by LouSWPA LouSWPA wrote:

Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

I think you could safely claim a buck twenty and no one would doubt you!
120-130 I always thought looking back, yeah.  Air ride shocks, load leveling, leather cushy seats, really did feel like you were flying! LOL!  You watched the gas gauge go down as the speedometer went up.LOL

One time, I was spending the night at a buddy's house, so was taking a different route to school.  Another buddy came up behind me in his baby blue Malibu, coming up fast.  Let him get to my rear bumper and punched it.  Pulling away easily, I slowed back down to lead him along, about 95.  All of the sudden, heard this weird mmmmoooWAAAAAHHH! noise, looked out my rear view and my entire exhaust was snaking down the lane behind me!LOLLOLLOL  That Malibu had its hands full avoiding that mess!  I'm sure that would have kicked me up at least 5mph on the top end, but couldn't have measured it!!!LOLLOLLOLLOL
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 12:32pm
Young and dumb. Fast was fun. We are lucky to still be alive....Don't even want to think about it!
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 5:02am
What Age and what was the Tach at, are the Tires crush rated?  Wink

[TUBE]tJlB5K6JXm4[/TUBE]

Edited by chaskaduo - 14 Nov 2019 at 5:10am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic