This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Citrons

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Citrons
    Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 1:36pm
Wonder if they grow up North like they do around here ? Thanks
Sponsored Links

Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 5:45pm
If we are talking about the same thing; it sounds like they don't like frost, likely freezing even less. From Wikipedia: "The citron tree is very vigorous with almost no dormancy, blooming several times a year, and is therefore fragile and extremely sensitive to frost." I haven't heard of any around here.

ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 6:28pm
Guess I should have said it's a melon and looks a lot like a watermelon . Used to be plenty of them growing wild in farmer's fields around here . Thanks Jim
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 7:35pm
I am in south central Iowa and never heard of them.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 9:12pm
This:

Citron melon
Plants

Description

The citron melon is a relative of the watermelon, also called Citrullus lanatus var. citroides and Citrullus amarus, fodder melon, preserving melon, red-seeded citron, jam melon, stock melon, Kalahari melon or tsamma melon. It is in the family Cucurbitaceae which consists of various squashes, melons, and gourds. Wikipedia
Scientific nameCitrullus lanatus var. citroides
RankVariety

Not this:

[TUBE]ZDS4q_7UzKU[/TUBE]
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 9:13pm
Never heard of them

Edited by DougG - 20 Oct 2019 at 7:40am
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 7:19am
Well I guess that answers my question . Thanks
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 6:03pm
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 7:58pm
We us to have them when ground was worked up for summer fallow. Now with vineyards everywhere you look,have not seen one in 20 years. Wink Anything that you don't want or care about some old seed will sprout in 10 years or 10,000 years LOL they never go away.

Wink There were some Shameless people in this country would try to fool people into thinking they were watermelons.LOL Is this citron one of the fruits put in fruit cake,Wink that nobody eats and just sends it on to others next Chirstmas?

I am 1/2 way between Fruity (SF) and Nutty (LA) so am not really north of you. I would think they would grow about the same places as watermelons.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2019 at 2:13am
some around here are putting in greenhouses partly under ground, and are raising lots of plants year around in them. not haveing to put in a lot of heat to do it.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2019 at 4:25am
Years ago I knew a guy from New York . Took him deer hunting and he saw some citrons . Didn't believe they weren't watermelon until I busted one open . Thanks
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 1:11am
are they good to eat?
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 4:24am
No I don't think so . Thanks
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

are they good to eat?

Wink My Wonderfully says yes you can. Cause I asked her the fruitcake question. She says the pell is dried and then used in the fruitcake. Where the real bitter taste comes from. She had no idea about the inside parts.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 2:42pm
Yep Citeron oil filter fits onto my Norton Commando - that's the only one i know of - then finding one anywhere here is next to impossible 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic