This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Chalmers jig

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOE H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis Chalmers jig
    Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 1:24pm
Being on other boards I know this post is a bit outside the norm for a first and possibility only post.
But I found this jig from the Allis Chalmers factory and before I cut it up to make something else out of it I thought maybe someone would have a clue what it is and if it should be saved.
Thanks
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152971586@N08/shares/W1310p
Sponsored Links

Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 1:30pm
Can’t say what it is but someone on here will if you’re patient. If you do decide to cut it up I’d sure like to have that brass tag.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 6:35pm
DO NOT CUT IT UP!!!!!!!!!
Darrel
JOE H View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOE H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 4:50am
Originally posted by darrel in ND darrel in ND wrote:

DO NOT CUT IT UP!!!!!!!!!
Darrel

Ok I won’t ....,LOL
But wtf us it??
My plan was to make a crank truing stand for single cyl cranks.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 7:42am
someone, somewhere, somehow, sometime, will come up with an answer! maybe someone would consider buying it from you?
JOE H View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOE H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 9:50am
PM me if you r interested or email joe@herriges.com  
Not sure yet if I would sell it but one never knows.....and how would it ship its a TANK, 50 or 60 lbs as a guess.   I think I can use it without any mods. 
 I have got some live centers ordered. I was going to weld one up which I can still do but when I found this I though TIME SAVER!!  
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 8:14pm
Im not sure what it was, but it is a TOOL BOUGHT by Allis to use in the factory.. Same as buying a wrench, drill or lathe.... The factory kept records of all purchases and put a "TOOL NUMBER" on the piece . So it was used in the ALLIS factory, and the BRASS TAG is an Allis Part, but the "tool" was purchased from a vendor for a specific application.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 12:53pm
To me it looks like it is a press of some sort.  It appears there was another piece mounted on top. 

Or it was a drilling jig and a drill motor was mounted on top.

Just my $.02 worth.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
JOE H View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOE H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 1:20pm
Drilling is what I thought. If you look close at the pics there a notched area in the center on one side where it seems like a part may be missing. Allis Chalmers jig by Joe Herriges, on Flickr

I have a bad habit of picking stuff up I think is cool and trying to do stuff with it. 
I have some live centers coming which I will mount on 1/2" steel then mount on either side where the bolts are on the uprights once I take the top piece off. I was going to cut the top piece and flip it over but now I will just save all the pieces so if ever I figure out what it was and its still useful for it it won't be ruined.

It will make a much better crank jig than the little one I cobbled up (in the pic by the dial indicator)   and it will be adjustable so I won't always have to remake it . Although it works ok I just like tinkering. 
Untitled by Joe Herriges, on Flickr
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 8:51pm
Ya, I'd guess some kind of a press also.  Something has to go on top to do,,,,,,,,,,,?????
Looks like some kind of a clamp on the bottom area.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic