This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mower

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
RMD View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mower
    Posted: 31 Aug 2019 at 5:02pm
The bearings are the same as KP-series aircraft control bearings. You can get these from Aircraft Spruce:
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/kpbrng.php
There are two sizes used on various models of the Twin-Wheel mowers.

I don't know the status of connecting rod supply, but have I have an unused later style connecting rod sitting around.
Sponsored Links

exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 7:14pm
Unless I'm very mistaken the AC "twin wheel " bears a striking resemblance the the IH balanced head mower. The difference being in the details of the sickle head. Anyway I have an IH and they're handier than a shirt pocket. Field borders under trees,road frontage and ditches,sod waterways and a bunch of spots. I'd hoard everything twin wheel part I could if I had one.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 7:36am
Matt,
I often thought I would like to bring back old equipment like this. Not sure why I have no use for them except now I could play on the daughters land. But finding parts for old outdated mowers and rakes looks to be a challenge at best? 
If you dont mind fixing and building some parts and you have the need then go for it. Most of these units were set aside as newer better hay equipment came along. Hope yours is in good enough condition to mow your hay! For small farms these machines will still get the jobs done. Fits nice with the smaller tractors too! Sounds like you have lots of supporters and information to help get it up and running too.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 29 Aug 2019 at 7:37am
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 7:18am
Originally posted by Hunt4Allis Hunt4Allis wrote:

I plan on reusing what I've got after some research it would cost me double what I paid for entire mower to get new blades/ guards/ misc...
My plan is to attempt to "tune/sharpen what parts I have" put it back together and try and get a second cutting off of our field before it goes to seed in next couple weeks( I could have bought all new parts but would total over $500 and I only need 1 cutting from it and it's just a 3 acre field ( I did buy a new grass board for it...

Any tips be helpful ( I'm told it needs to be sharp and tight when reassembled)
Thanks Matt

Well that is the thing about buying older equipment,it'll almost always take some time and
ca$h to get it up and running like it should,if you're not willing to do that it'll always be a headache.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 7:15am
Originally posted by 200Tom1 200Tom1 wrote:

Not a lot of visible difference. 80t has axle going straight across. 82t has axle at an angle.

80T is a totally different mower from the 82T the axle is just the start of the differences.
Hunt4Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 10:22pm
I plan on reusing what I've got after some research it would cost me double what I paid for entire mower to get new blades/ guards/ misc...
My plan is to attempt to "tune/sharpen what parts I have" put it back together and try and get a second cutting off of our field before it goes to seed in next couple weeks( I could have bought all new parts but would total over $500 and I only need 1 cutting from it and it's just a 3 acre field ( I did buy a new grass board for it...

Any tips be helpful ( I'm told it needs to be sharp and tight when reassembled)
Thanks Matt
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 11:06pm
Ok I've got a straight axle, thanks Matt
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 10:56pm
Not a lot of visible difference. 80t has axle going straight across. 82t has axle at an angle.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 10:39pm
Speaking of the difference between an 80t and a 82t, what is it?
I'm looking to buy a manual for my mower and want to make sure it's the right one before I buy it( to match the mower I've got)
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 10:08pm
Ha, were there's a will...
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 9:51pm
Ain't the brgs and connecting rods made of unobtainium?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 9:10pm
Okay thanks for the great info, I will do my diligence to do these checks once I remove the sickle bar from the twin head it sounds like is best correct? I'm also thinking of buying a manual for this mower so that I can have an exploded view of what I'm checking, thanks Matt
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 5:44pm
Specifically, check the twin wheel drive bearings, that start at the bottom of the twin wheels, and extend out toward the sickle.  if there is a lot of up and down play, in the 2 bars that stick out of the twin wheel drive, you have problems.  Also check the clamp bar, where the sickle meets the outer bearing bar, if that center hole is loose, again, trouble.  What tends to happen is the clamp gets loose, and you start breaking the sickle, generally breaks where the sickle head ends, about 12-18" from the drive end of the sickle...Wink

Oh, almost forgot, these checks best performed with the sickle out. Only difference I am aware of, between 80 and 82 head, is 82 uses a serrated bushing, where the 80 uses a cupped bushing, IIRR...Wink

Edited by DiyDave - 14 Aug 2019 at 5:48pm
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 4:59am
Not trying to hyjack but I'm planning on rebuilding my 80t which has stamped on it "twin head" so I'm asking this to see if mine is worth putting the $ into buying new guards/ blades/ hold downs...
my plan is to remove entire sickle bar from head so I can take it into my shop and disassemble it there to replace/ tighten up the components, but what am I looking for when people say check at head for looseness or wear? And I'm assuming this needs checked before removing bar from head or can I see anything after or would it be easier to check once removed or still intact?
Thanks Matt

Edited by Hunt4Allis - 14 Aug 2019 at 5:02am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 2:59am
I'd let them price it you never know he might say $100. You can use that cylinder just take the hose off on the end nearest the PTO shaft and you'll need to put in a breather if you use it that way.
NDBirdman View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 9:01pm
Thanks!  I'm going to pull it out of the weeds when I get a chance and give it a good once over.  If tight, no foreseeable problems, I might pick it up.  I think I will hook it up to my 45 and give it a run around the yard first.  It has the wrong hyd cylinder on it for a 45 though so can't check it out too far me thinks.

I don't think I would be too far out of line to offer him $400?
1955 WD45 S#205467, 190XT #6652 DXT
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 8:30pm
Like said what its worth is what condition the Twin Wheel Drive parts are in,I have one I quit using went to a 456 New Holland the drive set up on a NH is better and less troublesome in my opinion.Although the 82T will cut with any mower if its in good shape with a sharp sickle assembly.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 7:32pm
Neat mower, appears to have been kept inside.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 6:57pm
Last few I saw sell brought $500.00. I have a bucket full of parts left over, somewhere in the shed.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 6:15pm
82-T, as to value, first check where the twin wheel drive meets the blade bushing.  If its loose, it may have insurmountable problems, unless you can find the parts, which are made, unfortunately, of unobtanium...Wink

Edited by DiyDave - 13 Aug 2019 at 6:18pm
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
NDBirdman View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 5:43pm
3rd pic

NDBirdman View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 5:42pm
another shot

NDBirdman View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 5:41pm
What model number and what is value?  Apologies for the bad pics.

Edited by NDBirdman - 13 Aug 2019 at 5:45pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic