This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD3/653

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spike78653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD3/653
    Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 11:03am
Hello everyone.  New to the group.  What stated out as a small project to build my father in law a pond has become an adventure for sure. 
I first bought a HD3.  Well a H3 really.  It may have started its life as a HD but someone converted it to a gas motor.  This thing sat for years.  But the under carriage was almost brand new.  I got it running, moving forward and backwards.  Adjusted everything to where it was steering and braking like it should.  Got it out in the field for an hour and a half and lost oil pressure and immediately shut it off.  What a wonderful place to put the oil pump>>> 
  I then picked up a 653 turbo diesel.  Needed steering clutches, so I was told.  Found out that the right track does not drive.  Tore it down - looking like it is a broken axle.  The under carriage is garbage.  Rollers are ate all the way through.  But the guy I bought it from gave me new Pins and Rollers and also the Drive Gears for an HD4 that are almost new.  The HD3 has smoother (flat) track pads.  the 653 has a higher cleat pad.  I would like to use the higher cleats when I am done with this project.   What I also found out is the 653 has 2 links more in the track than the HD3 has.  I am looking to confirm that I can use the Outer final drive gears for the 653 from the HD3/HD4.  In researching the HD3, HD4, 653 should all be the same?? 
My plan is:  Use the HD3 for a parts machine.  So anyone looking for parts - please let me know. 
Also I bought the 653 with no key - Does anyone know where I can get a new ignition switch for it?
The 653 also has a ripper on the back of it.  Does anyone know where I can get ripper teeth?  Maybe also the hydraulic ram for the ripper it requires 2 I only have 1>>

Edited by Spike78653 - 31 Jul 2019 at 11:12am
Spike78653
H3
Sponsored Links

NomoreJohnDeere View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 10:33pm
In Texas around Austin?

I need the fuel separator that screws into the fuel tank.  Has the shut off and glass bowl.  Post a pic and I'll see if will interchange.  thanks

HD3
NomoreJohnDeere View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 10:37pm
I am interested in some other parts as you part out or take what you want off of it and offer what's left.

HD3
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 8:59pm
HD4, 653, 655 finals are all the same as are the axles - the rear is single reduction so hope it's not the upper small gear that is also bad . 
 You could add 2 links to each side from the other track if you can find pins and bushings and if rail height is not worn down to far - but could weld the height up .

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 01 Aug 2019 at 9:02pm
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Spike78653 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spike78653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 9:20am
Sorry for the late reply.  I have been travelling all last week.  Back in town now.  Will reply to all, and take requested pics>>
Spike78653
H3
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spike78653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 9:23am
Thanks for the confirmation>>  Are you referring the the final housing on the outside of the tractor?  Where the shaft from the clutches go to the gear that drives the final gear??  I currently have 2 sets of pins and bushings, so that is not an issue...  also have a welder so welding up the rail height is not an issue either>>  
Spike78653
H3
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Spike78653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 9:24am
I am in Manor, work in Austin.  Ill take pics of the fuel bowl tonight and post tomorrow>>
Spike78653
H3
RTK Mich View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RTK Mich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 6:58am
Looking for a few track pads for a HD3 Crawler loader, Would you have any to sell?  Thanks

Edited by RTK Mich - 25 Sep 2019 at 11:37am
D12 D14(2) D15 H3 HD3 AC620
pinball View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 7:32am
I surely wouldn't recommend using those cleat tracks. they will give you better traction but if not used correctly you will tear that old machine up. if your soli is loose then you might be okay but if you have hard clay, rocks you better be careful. these old crawlers will do a lot of work but not work it wasn't intended to be used for. just my opinion. good luck
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 1:24pm
The smoother flat tracks are primarily used for crawler loaders as loaders are continuously turning and with loaded buckets. Cleated tracks will tear the finals out of a loader. Dozers on the other hand are primarily moving in a straight line when pushing and rarely making frequent sharp turns. You can always weld on some cleats if you have flat tracks on a dozer.
Jack of all trades, master of none
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2019 at 10:32am
On my HD5G as well as my HD4 I welded rebar onto track pads to build up surface for better traction , Used 2 - 3/4 bars on each pad , its not enough height to be a problem turning . Sold one machine and fellow welded just one bar onto pads - tore up the ground and put a lot of strain on machine , he ended up adding a 2nd bar . 
 On a D6-9U cat dozer i had i used 1" bar welded onto grouser for building up the wear - worked good also . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic