This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Look what I got.......

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grayray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Look what I got.......
    Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 7:01pm
Look what I got from my son for Father's Day. Yep, his blood runs orange too.

Sponsored Links

Bob D. (La) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob D. (La) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 3:44am
That's a great son you've got there Grayray. Notice the age recommended on the box. You don't suppose he expects you to pass to your grandson do you? LOL Happy Fathers day.
When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!
Grayray View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grayray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 5:32am
Bob, You are right.  He knows that I'm a kid trapped in a 67 year old body and yes, he does expect it to be passed on to a grand son along with the real thing.  He has already made comments about the fifth generation driving the WD.
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 7:15am
I would say that's a nice Father's Day gift. I spent a lot of happy hours on a 45 when I was growing up. I notice that you are from Ambridge, Pa. My parents met there at the American  Bridge Company back in 1942. Mom worked for the Navy as a civilian and Dad was a welding inspector for the LST's they built there. Dad eventually enlisted in the Seabees when they were first organized and after the war I came along. Mom lived in  Aliquippa at the time. Still some relatives around outside the Pittsburgh area.
weiner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 12:14pm
We all are a little envious of that Father`s Day gift.   I found the  ac hunter story very touching.  Thank you for sharing.
Real heros wear dogtags, not capes.
Grayray View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grayray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 12:39pm
Oh WOW.  Someone else with ties to the Ambridge area.  I retired about 5 years ago from a mill that is in part one of the buildings that once made up the American Bridge plant.  May very well have worked where your parents did.  Did they work there when American Bridge was making the LST's?  
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 6:23pm
     Mom worked in a Navy office but a civilian. She was required to wear a uniform however. Dad worked where the LSt's were being built. I have a few pictures of partially constructed ones and a couple of launchings into the Ohio  River. Mom also worked for a while on Neville Island for the Dravo Company that also built LST's.
      Dad graduated from high school in 1927 and went a few weeks later to a Lincoln welding school in Cleveland, Ohio. After that he held several welding jobs in Ohio and northwestern Pa. When war preparation began he became an inspector at several factories that produced war material and then finally at Ambridge. They were married in Aliquippa late in 1945 a few months before Dad was discharged from the Navy.
     I wish I knew half of what Dad knew about welding. He always said that to be good at welding you had to weld all the time. Said you would loose some of the skill if you only did it occasionally.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 8:20pm
Hunter, your dad was spot on concerning welding.
My did worked in Ambridge during the war also, I cannot recall the name of the company know, National Electric maybe, I think. I remember him relating stories of the LST launching and how all the bridges were closed as the boats went down the river.
He also told a story of the FBI (I think) calling him into an office one day asking a lot of question about some suspected thefts in the plant. He thought they was looking at him, and started building his defense. The said, oh, no, we already checked you out, and proceeded to retell his whole life to him, in detail! they was looking for his help.
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 7:35am
Lou, People seem to have been of a completely different mind set in those days. I wonder if that degree of widespread patriotism will ever be seen again in our country. Wonder what was being stolen from where your father worked that found the attention of the FBI.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by ac hunter ac hunter wrote:

Lou, People seem to have been of a completely different mind set in those days. I wonder if that degree of widespread patriotism will ever be seen again in our country. Wonder what was being stolen from where your father worked that found the attention of the FBI.

copper wire
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Grayray View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grayray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 3:59pm
Yes Lou, the company was National Electric.  The building is still there on Duss Ave.  My mom worked there in the office around 46 - 49.

Some of the concrete piers and such from when they launched the LST's are still along the river banks at the old American Bridge plant.  The mill next to this (Now Hussey Copper) was the Navy yard and they build the PT boats there.  Maybe this is where AC Hunters mom worked.  My grandma worked there during the war.
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 6:04pm
    I would guess copper  wire was a pretty valuable item during the war.  
      I can't tell anything about the building where mom worked but she did office work for  people involved in building the LST's.
     Mom rode a bus from  Aliquippa to work and back every day. She didn't have a car. One night close to Christmas she and a girl friend that worked in the same office and lived in Aliquippa too got to the bus  stop and the girl friend discovered she had forgotten her purse. They went back to get the purse and missed the bus they usually took home. The bus crossed the Ohio River and went along the west side of the river where there are high bluffs right above the road. A huge landslide fell on the bus killing almost everyone on it. We always thought the hand of God had intervened on that night.

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 9:39pm
yer raising him right! nice present!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic