This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

#2 diesel vs #2 furnace heating oil?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: #2 diesel vs #2 furnace heating oil?
    Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 12:29pm
Thinking about using heating oil instead of the biodiesel because there is no requirement for #2 heating oil to be blended with biofuel. Pro's..... con's?
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Sponsored Links

Mike Plotner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Plotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 12:33pm
Burn bio diesel. Create demand
2001 Gleaner R42, 1978 7060, 1977 7000, 1966 190 XT, 1966 D-17 Series IV and 1952 WD and more keep my farm running!
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by Mike Plotner Mike Plotner wrote:

Burn bio diesel. Create demand
no thanks

Edit..... I think I just got your joke

Edited by Lonn - 15 Jun 2019 at 1:37pm
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Plotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 5:21pm
I don't get guys that moan about low soybean/corn prices and complain about using bio-diesel/Ethonal.

I'd rather payless to run a tractor while also using up our product
2001 Gleaner R42, 1978 7060, 1977 7000, 1966 190 XT, 1966 D-17 Series IV and 1952 WD and more keep my farm running!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 5:46pm
House will smell like a French fry factory, all the neighbors will get the munchies!!
bigal121892 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigal121892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 5:58pm

I don't get guys that moan about low soybean/corn prices and complain about using bio-diesel/Ethonal.

I agree.
Tim NH View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim NH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 6:08pm
I was told by oil delivery man, that diesel fuel is refined a little more than #2 heating oil. 
  Tim
1950 WD 1959 D14 1955 WD45 1976 7000 B 207
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 7:31pm
Don't think the heating oil has the additives to protect your pump and injectors from damage
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 7:32pm
Bio is fine while using it. That's all I burn in the road tractor(partly because that's all I can buy on the road). It's not worth a crap to set for 6 months in a tractor fuel sysem from the old days. Maybe Mike is running modern electric engines. I pay extra for non bio on the farm. Maybe it's not extra at all in the end.
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 8:00pm
Lon, I owned a farm fuel business for years.   There is a great difference between #2 diesel and fuel oil. You should be using a premium #2 diesel in everything on the farm. Premium #2 diesel has a higher cetain rating than #2 fuel oil. #2 fuel oil has less additives than #2 truck stop fuel. There is no anti algecide in #2 fuel oil or #2 truck stop diesel. There are no lubricating additives in #2 fuel oil, something you need for today's close tolerances in pumps and injectors. If you decide to use #2 fuel oil you will see more black smoke going up the pipe. Black smoke is unburned fuel.

Edited by 200Tom1 - 15 Jun 2019 at 8:11pm
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by Tim NH Tim NH wrote:

I was told by oil delivery man, that diesel fuel is refined a little more than #2 heating oil. 
  Tim

Back when I was hauling fuel from the tank farms to delivery points, the Diesel fuel, heating oil and off road diesel were loaded from the same pipe. If it was premium diesel The metering system would inject an additive at the correct rate. For non taxable use (heating oil or off road diesel) the system would inject RED dye. That is the only difference for full petroleum fuel oils.  Any Bio diesel blends were either tank blended or sometimes the system would do it. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
wade89 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wade89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 9:24pm
I know the bio diesel left alot of scummy crap in the bottom of a D17D tank and Dads 922b cat loader. I would only run heating oil in the old equipment.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 10:07pm

ok so you weren't joking. Now neither am I. Biofuel sucks, ruins pumps, clogs tanks, lines and filters with bacteria. I don't care if you use it, good for you. Why am I FORCED to use an inferior fuel that wrecks my fuel system, a fuel I don't want to use? Just answer that question Mike. Or Mike, are you going to moan and complain over the fact that I don't want that crappy fuel forced on me?
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 4:12am
I never had such algae problems in my life as when I was running bio diesel in my remote generators. I had to switch to what the dealer called "stove oil" in order to get a fuel that didn't contain any bio products. In a nutshell: No problems at all were encountered after making the switch. None in the five years I witnessed after making the switch. I'll have to ask if they've encountered any problems the next time I call my old workplace for my usual updates.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 6:00am
I never heard of "truck stop fuel" before. I thought fuel from truck stops was premium diesel. Has anyone else heard of truck stop fuel ?
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 6:06am
I haven't
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Play Farmer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Play Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 8:37am
When we buy fuel oil for our house the ticket says "#2 Diesel fuel delivered as #2 Heating oil".

I'd say in our case they're the same.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 9:21am
Originally posted by WF owner WF owner wrote:

I never heard of "truck stop fuel" before. I thought fuel from truck stops was premium diesel. Has anyone else heard of truck stop fuel ?

“Truck stop fuel” is generic lowest cost fuel, without any additives of any kind. Many truck stops have this and also have a dedicated pump for premium diesel. Back when fuel was less than $1 a gallon, I found the 2-3 cents a gallon extra that Southern States charged at the time for their premium diesel, restulted in increased fuel miles that saved money overall.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Plotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 9:23am
No one should be forced to run anything, but I'm willing to bet you'd complain about the cost of straight petroleum diesel.

And they guys saying I run new engines, I don't, I have a 7060, 7000, One-Ninety, 4620 and a R42. Changing filters every year and maybe adding some additive is still cheaper than buying non biodiesel firbthe amount of gallons I burn all year.

Plus, I even run ethonal occasionally in my '82 F-350 and '83 LTD, along with my gas tractors

Originally posted by Lonn Lonn wrote:

ok so you weren't joking. Now neither am I. Biofuel sucks, ruins pumps, clogs tanks, lines and filters with bacteria. I don't care if you use it, good for you. Why am I FORCED to use an inferior fuel that wrecks my fuel system, a fuel I don't want to use? Just answer that question Mike. Or Mike, are you going to moan and complain over the fact that I don't want that crappy fuel forced on me?
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 10:30am

No one should be forced to run anything, but I'm willing to bet you'd complain about the cost of straight petroleum diesel.

And they guys saying I run new engines, I don't, I have a 7060, 7000, One-Ninety, 4620 and a R42. Changing filters every year and maybe adding some additive is still cheaper than buying non biodiesel firbthe amount of gallons I burn all year.

Plus, I even run ethonal occasionally in my '82 F-350 and '83 LTD, along with my gas tractors

Well Mike I'm through with you. I ask a simple question and you call me a moaner and complainer. Idiots like you can keep your opinion to yourself next time I ask for opinions on the farm equipment forum. I gained zero knowledge from you other than that you are a prick.
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Play Farmer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Play Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 10:45am

You're forced to because we're trying to "save the environment". It doesn't matter there is basically a zero net gain on emissions, and a negative net by some studies, the greenies feel better.

With that said, its June 15th, it was in the 40s last night, the furnace is currently running and we've been running about 15-20 degrees below normal. If this is the effect of curing "Global warming" (money grabbing hoax) I think we've gone far enough. Let's bring back some warming soon please!

Might be time to move this one to the Politics section.

Edited by Play Farmer - 16 Jun 2019 at 10:48am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Plotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 12:14pm
I don't care about emissions, I'd like to have a use for the millions of tons of soybeans we grow every year.

My fuel supplier adds algecide to the blend to prevent it. I also put many hours on my tractors without issues directly from biodiesel use
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 2:42pm
I think a lot depends on your location, supplier, addatives, and humidity/ weather for YOUR FUEL............ I have been running Ethanol in EVERYTHING for 30 years and never ONE PROBLEM... don't know why.... others have had problems........ but its a fact for me.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

I think a lot depends on your location, supplier, addatives, and humidity/ weather for YOUR FUEL............ I have been running Ethanol in EVERYTHING for 30 years and never ONE PROBLEM... don't know why.... others have had problems........ but its a fact for me.

It has a lot to do with the fuel distribution network. I've had nothing but issues with ethanol. Plus the biggest retailer around here has a stranglehold on non ethanol "rec" gas and breaks it off in us. You have to buy bulk from the distributor and that's nit practical for a handful of small gas engines.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 5:52pm
If all bio diesel was made from soybeans I might consider it.But it's not and there's where the trouble starts. Glad Mike can get soy based bio.
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 11:20pm
I've been running bio in my D17D since I got it. All bio diesel you buy is not created equal though. I only get my tractor fuel from Heartland Co Op. Their bio is only blended with soy oil. The same with Key Co Op here in central Iowa. Elsewhere like convenience stores and truck stops there's no telling what it is. Bio made with animal fat is poor quality in my experience and nearly impossible to keep from gelling in cold weather. I can say if you have either a Heartland or a Key co op, they are good quality fuel. The city of Newton IA Fire and Rescue dept buys their fuel at Key.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
ebowman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ebowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 8:27am
I believe we have seen the end in sight.....

We change corn so its not fit to be edible by humans and livestock,
We are more worried about our gas tanks than our bellies,
The farmer only cares about his wallet,
The farmer is still "poor",
But in reality......
The government will bail him out when he can't pay his bills or has a bad year,
And he still gets a brand new pickup truck every couple years!!!

Roundup is the greatest thing since sliced bread ( not harmful) until.... a foreign company buys them out and now IT WILL KILL YOU!!

I only buy ethanol free gas, if I could buy non bio fuel I would!!
WD45, '62 D17 Diesel, '65 190XTD, '74 7030, 1958 Roto-Baler
WNYBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WNYBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 9:18am
The "Greens" are winning.  Here in NYS home heating oil is more expensive than over the road diesel in Ohio or anyplace further south.  The Greenies don't care, most don't know where it comes from or what it is!!!!!!

Keep on electing Progressive damn fools!   Just look at the cities and states controled by the Democrats. The progressive democrats want to control us all and they are winning.  

WAKE UP AMERICA
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 9:40am
I see New York is mandating some crazy amount of biofuel IN YOUR HEATING OIL Bill. In like 15 years it will be......... can't remember..... 35%? Good luck with that. Right now in MN from April 14 through September 30 20% bio is required in diesel fuel....... I think they any ag based product except palm oil. For some reason palm oil doesn't count. I'm pretty sure ethanol is mandated to be corn based only and I think that is 15% now.

So I looked up the law..... if biofuel is so trouble free then why does the law have Generators in Nuke plants as exempt from using any biofuels. "motors located at an electric generating plant regulated by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission" exempt.

Also exempt in Minnesota..... the Coast Guard and yes because of Lake Superior Minnesota does have Coast Guard ships on it's shores. Hmmmmmm why are they exempt? Do tell, batman. They must really hate farmers.

Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Joe(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 11:16am
I farm and raise corn and soybeans.  But I don't understand why that means that we should support inferior fuel.  If we need to burn our crop to increase prices maybe the American farmer, myself included, needs to learn to diversify our crop production.   Saying that we need to create bio diesel from soybeans to create a demand because of over production just doesn't make sense to me.  "This is an easy one, economically. Biodiesel is very expensive, relative to petroleum diesel," says Scott Irwin, an economist at the University of Illinois, who follows biofuel markets closely. He calculates that the extra cost for biodiesel comes to about $1.80 per gallon right now, meaning that the biofuel law is costing Americans about $5.4 billion a year.
http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/01/16/577649838/turning-soybeans-into-diesel-fuel-is-costing-us-billions
  As far as ethanol gas goes I have not had a good experience with ethanol.  If ethanol is so great why isn't it used in aviation?  And to top it off ethanol is not cost effect to create without the government propping it up. http://www.organicconsumers.org/scientific/70-percent-more-energy-required-make-ethanol-actually-ethanol-cornell
Life is simpler when you plow around the stump.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic